Favorite classical song and/or composer?

Beethoven - 5th, 9th (one of the best compositions EVER), Moonlight Sonata, Eroica, Overture to Edgemont

Mozart - Requiem, 40th, Figaro

Bach - mass in B minor, Jesu Joy..., Tocatta and Fugue in D minor

Wagner - Ride of the Valkyries, Entry of the Gods into Valhalla

Holst - The Planets

Carl Orff - Carmina Burana

Shostakovich - 5th, Festive Overture

Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain, The Great Gate at Kiev

Bruckner - Te Deum

Mendelssohn - The Hebrides, Messiah

Respighi - Pines of Rome (f---ing AMAZING)

Saint-Saens - Samson et Delilah

Dvorak - The New World Symphony

Henryk Gorecki - Symphony #3 (just beautiful)

Ralph Vaughan-Williams - Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, Fantasia on Greensleeves, 4th Symphony

John Williams - An American Journey, Summon the Heroes, pretty much everything

Nobuo Uematsu - (I know, he's a video game composer, but he's awesome) - Final Fantasy VII

***anyone else like film scores? a great off-shoot from classical***

There's just too many, but some of my favorites are Gladiator, Braveheart, Lord of the Rings (all), Star Wars (all), Jurassic Park, Schindler's List (yes, I love John Williams), Glory, The Thin Red Line, and stuff from Danny Elfman. I'm getting into Thomas Newman also (American Beauty, Road to Perdition, Shawshank Redemption).

yea Gladiator soundtrack is one of my favorites love Hans Zimmer!

but the best movie soundtrack ever is Conan the barbarian by basil poledouris

Metalman7983 said:
yea Gladiator soundtrack is one of my favorites love Hans Zimmer!

That's a very good one with a lot of tough competition! The Last Samurai is one of my favorites of his now.

Hans Zimmer's definitely one of my favorite film-score composers. So is Michael Kamen--yes, that's the same guy that collaborated with Metallica on S & M. I think that had he not died so young, his career would've gone a lot further. He was starting to land some big jobs (Band of Brothers, anybody?) not long before he passed away.

I love the track "Orphans of Doom, Awakening" from Conan the Barbarian.

I agree about Michael Kamen. It was great how he was always open to collaborating with rock acts (Tom Petty, Metallica) to give more dimension to their work. "Band of Brothers" and "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" were awesome.

Hans Zimmer's great too. Gladiator, The Thin Red Line, and King Arthur are amazing. Are you familiar with the Crimson Tide score? That is one majorly kick ass score. The track "Roll Tide" alone is Zimmer at his best.

I think this is one reason why V: The New Mythology Suite is one of my all time favorite CDs. It has that dramatic, conceptual, and fantastic "orchestral-like" arrangement you'd find in a film score. There's just more substance and life to it than your typical rock CD.

duffman7p said:
i like stravinsky and john williams. however ecently i found at that stravinsky supported musilini (if that's how you spell his name) so i dont know anymore

Mussolini was just a few thousand years too late, lol. If he was around in ancient roman times he would have been right at home since all he did was emulate the ways of the roman generals.

Anyway, it seems that dimmu supports satan so I'm thinkin mussolini isnt such a big deal :p.

John Williams rocks. Everyone would probably agree there.

greenaxer said:
I agree about Michael Kamen. It was great how he was always open to collaborating with rock acts (Tom Petty, Metallica) to give more dimension to their work. "Band of Brothers" and "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves" were awesome.

Yeah, I have Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves, too.

He was an interesting character, wasn't he? :)

Hans Zimmer's great too. Gladiator, The Thin Red Line, and King Arthur are amazing. Are you familiar with the Crimson Tide score? That is one majorly kick ass score. The track "Roll Tide" alone is Zimmer at his best.

I don't have the Crimson Tide score...

I think this is one reason why V: The New Mythology Suite is one of my all time favorite CDs. It has that dramatic, conceptual, and fantastic "orchestral-like" arrangement you'd find in a film score. There's just more substance and life to it than your typical rock CD.

Exactly! My favorite, too... :)

Metalman7983 said:
considering he was russian and during World War 2 he lived in the US i find it hard to believe that he supported musolini.

especially during that time when almost every russian hated the nazis which of course were allied with musolini

For a time he preserved a ring of emigré Russian friends and contacts, but eventually realized that this would not sustain his intellectual and professional life in the USA.

émigrés- an exile as a temporary expedient forced on them by political circumstances.

maybe you meant stalin?? lol

i'm just going by what wikipedia said about him. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stravinsky it's somewhere in there

that might be true that Mussolini was a roman general but im pretty sure he meant the dictator that was in power during world war 2 in Italy