Favorite Comedy?

Dennis Leary is funny but he stole a lot of his stuff from the legendary, the one and only Bill Hicks (R.I.P), King of angry satire. Quite possibly the funniest man to ever grace this planet.

Stand-up:

George Carlin
Eddie Izzard
Dave Chappele
Dane Cook

TV shows:
Early Simpsons
Family Guy (BEST...SHOW...EVER)
Late Night w/ Conan
Late Show w/ Letterman
Futurama
South Park

Movies:
All Kevin Smith movies
Evil Dead trilogy
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut
Orgazmo
Cannibal: the Musical
Office Space
Monty Python...Holy Grail

Hmmm... tough to call.

I liked George Carlin and George Wallace.
My fav action comedy was Inner Space. That was great and will be a classic !!
Modern Problems (old Chevy Chase) was great too.

Bryant

My favorite comedy-movie is clearly "Happy Gilmore"!! The only comedy movie I would call superb! You also asked for a quote, so I'll give you one, but the entire movie has great ones:
Happy's grandma is at the nursing home:
Grandma: Sir, can I trouble you for a warm glass of milk? It helps me go to sleep.
Nursing Home Orderly: You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up! Now, you will go to sleep or I will put you to sleep. Check out the name tag. You're in my world now, grandma.

Although I remembered it as "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up! Or I will make you shut the hell up!"

I also think "Little Nicky" is great! Too bad all movies by Adam Sandler in the last couple of years has had a gross ending with preachy shit that ruins the entire movie!
A little different, but actually also a movie, Eddie Murphy's "Raw" stand-up show is also superb!
I also like a Danish comedian called Geo. I've only seen two shows with him (both were big stand-up shows with other people), and unfortunatly he only had 6 minuttes in one of them. At first I thought to myself "Goddamn, he's fucked up!!", as he's really crazy, yells, screams, runs/jumps around on the stage like a spastic, but after I'd seen the first show, I must admit that he had been very entertaining.
Another Danish comedian that I like is Mick Øgendahl. He's in the same two shows that I've seen with Geo and in "Den ægte vare" (translates to "The real deal" or something), which is the one were they get pretty long time, he's really, really great! If there happens to be any Danish people here (Ulvedal), check it out! He has a sketch about "Strictly ballroom" (the movie) and it's awesome!
When it comes to tv-shows I like "Married with children", "Simpsons", "Family Guy", "Futurama" and "Drew Carey" is also pretty cool, although he's always the nice guy. We discussed sitcoms a while back in the pop culture section, so maybe you can dig it up there. I also bash a lot of crap shows there. Yeah!

I've noticed many Europeans only giving names of American comedy shows- or movies- and from my times in Europe I remember seeing alot of reality shows- sappy dramas, and dumb gameshows- but never really any good comedies- and I also dont remember seeing much about stand up comedy- which is kinda big in the states. So, are you poor Europeans deprived of good comedies? Or are the European comedies that bad?

Special mention- I love any 80s comedy movie directed or written by either John Hughes, Harold Ramis, or Ivan Reitman- anyone else with me on this? Im talking Stripes, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Spies Like Us, the Vacation movies- the list goes on.

speed said:
I've noticed many Europeans only giving names of American comedy shows- or movies- and from my times in Europe I remember seeing alot of reality shows- sappy dramas, and dumb gameshows- but never really any good comedies- and I also dont remember seeing much about stand up comedy- which is kinda big in the states. So, are you poor Europeans deprived of good comedies? Or are the European comedies that bad?

Can't speak for all European countries, but if I use Norway as an example of a small european country, it's simply not a big enough market for all that self-production, so many shows, especially sitcoms and drama/soaps are imported. But we DO produce a lot of lame gameshows(don't you?) and shit. I try not to watch a lot of TV.
Regarding stand-up, this hasn't been that big a thing in europe until recently.

Europeans have loads of great comdedy, obviously the british having the most ;)

British comedies:

Red Dwarf (best ever comedy)
Father Ted
Alan Partridge
The office
Ali G
Monty Python
Black Adder
Bottom
The Young Ones
and many, many more....:)

I find american humour the same, especially Friends where they just use the same jokes and humour every episode. (and they spell humour 'humor' - most strange ;))

Some funny tv shows...

Monty Python
Fawlty Towers
Blackadder
Alan Partridge
Red Dwarf
The Office
Drop The Dead Donkey
Father Ted
Allistar McGowan's Big Impression
Ali G
Bottom
The Young Ones

I agree with benzine, i dont really find american humour very varied, on friends the humour is all the same as it is on pretty much all of the american shows, very unintelligent slapstick humour and they have to bloody include that stupid candid laughter after every joke. They do have some good stand up comedians though, there's a particular one i like which i cant remember the name of (bugger) but i prefer comedians such as Jack Dee, Lee Evans, Eddie Izzard, Billy Connoly etc...

I find american humour the same, especially Friends where they just use the same jokes and humour every episode. (and they spell humour 'humor' - most strange )
judging all American humor by Friends would be like judging all Britsh music by Adam Ant and Frankie Goes to Hollywood
the reason we dropped the "u" and spell humor and color like we do goes back to an old American expression of endearment. "Fuck U" :D

speed said:

Special mention- I love any 80s comedy movie directed or written by either John Hughes, Harold Ramis, or Ivan Reitman- anyone else with me on this? Im talking Stripes, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Spies Like Us, the Vacation movies- the list goes on.

I agree there are a lot of good 80' movies out there
mr. mom
uncle buck
plus others but I can't think of any more right now

dragonfu said:
judging all American humor by Friends would be like judging all Britsh music by Adam Ant and Frankie Goes to Hollywood
the reason we dropped the "u" and spell humor and color like we do goes back to an old American expression of endearment. "Fuck U" :D

I didn't say i was basing it all on Friends. It says especially Friends. Read it again. Then read it some more. The Americans have managed to produce one VERY funny comedy - George W Bush.