favorite European band (besides Opeth)

vampyrouss said:
I don't listen to any Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Judas Priest or Iron Maiden, but not because I hate them. Its just not my thing. I don't want to listen to them just because everyone likes them. They are the music that inspired the bands I like and now I want to be inspired by the Opeths and such. But again, nothing wrong with any of those bands. They've done great things but I'd rather listen to Opeth, Nightwish, CoB, CoF, Dimmu Borgir, Theatres Des Vampires, The Haunted, Mortiis and stuff. Those are the bands I'll be telling my grandkids to listen to just as my elders like forcing the older bands on me.
My friend has Scarlet and Fabian (I think thats their names?) from TDV on MSN if you use that and want to be hooked up;)

Trylakos said:
My friend has Scarlet and Fabian (I think thats their names?) from TDV on MSN if you use that and want to be hooked up;)

Yup they are both on vampirefreaks and myspace too I think, its cool that they respond to their fans!

Lacuna Coil
Nightwish
Cradle of Filth
Extol
Children of Bodom
HIM (not technically metal, but I dig them)
After Forever
Bloodbath
Rammstein
Crimson Moonlight

The Short List:

Borknagar
Vintersorg
CoF
CoB
At the Gates
The Haunted
Noctiferia
Evemaster
Hollenthon
Carcass
Arch Enemy
In Flames
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath

European metal is, and always has been, IMO, superior to the American version, which has (and I may piss people off here) never really innovated. Sure there are some good bands (I'm thinking of Shadows Fall, in particular) but even the good ones are pretty derivative.

We Americans tend to copy ALL music from Europe, not just metal. Beginning with the Beatles, The Who, and Led Zeppelin... Of course, Page, Richards, Clapton, etc., stole rock from black American blues players and sold it back to white America, who then copied the Brits... pretty weak that it took foreigners to introduce us to music that was right in our back yard!

Beecher is sort of interesting... I'll have to check out some more.

This Elegy, His Autopsy..... sort of reminiscent in phrasing to My Arms, Your Hearse.... I'm sure there's no connection.