favorite genre of music besides metal?

Funk. I'm a big fan of Sly and the Family Stone, Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic, The Commodores, Prince, Zapp, Earth Wind and Fire, Rick James, Kool the the Gang, and The Ohio Players.

Funk. I'm a big fan of Sly and the Family Stone, Curtis Mayfield, Isaac Hayes, Stevie Wonder, James Brown, Parliament/Funkadelic, The Commodores, Prince, Zapp, Earth Wind and Fire, Rick James, Kool the the Gang, and The Ohio Players.

:kickass:

genre genre genre. I cant belive all the labels put on "rock" music these days. Now we have "post rock" what the fuck is that ? "Classic Rock" pisses me off, its just older rock and which school of rock is it from ? Is it hard rock like Zep, Deep Purple or is it boogie like ZZ. Or is it that gay shit called pop. Shit, now I hear people trying to say the 80's heavy metal bands were not really metal but 80's hard rock. Get a life. And the good 70's hard rock bands in my opinion are not far enough removed to be considered a different listening experiance from heavy metal. Just simply an older form. Grunge and post grunge. For whatever reason there seems to be only a breif handful of bands that fit the "grunge" term but all the popular heavy FM rock around that time had the same feel. Now whats gonna happen in twenty years when some brain child is gonna decided that the grunge era is now going to be called "classic rock". Are we going to create a new term by which to call early 70's hard rock by ???????????

I listen to
progressive heavy metal
progressive hard rock
progressive heavy blues
progressive intense fusion
progressive big band swing
progressive boogie

so like yea, I listen to stuff that rocks

:rolleyes:

mine has absolutely got to be classical/orchestral. John Williams, is an absolute great musician. James Horner is very good as well, but he can't mold and transform into such different atmosphere's and moods like Williams can. both i still enjoy very much.

i also listen to a great deal of celtic music. Mairead Nesbitt, (lord of dance/celtic woman) is a great violinist/fiddlest i really do enjoy. beyond those names, just other random irish/classical music.

others include David Arkenstone, Hans Zimmer, Lord Of Dance, Celtic Woman, Anril, Ronan Hardiman

i guess the next is i do listen to a good deal of classic rock. bands like scorpions,CCR, boston, kiss, kansas.

Prog rock & a limited amount of hard rock and classic rock.
60s rock n roll
Jazz (old school, 70s fusion and some contemporary)
Classical (particularly Chopin, Rachmaninov, Gorecki)
A small amount of hip-hop/rap/reggae
Blues and blues rock
Some dance music (would like to get into this more)
Trip-hop/dark electronica
Ambient
Folk/world music (particularly folk noir bands like Current 93 and Sol Invictus and Dead Can Dance)
Some latin music (older salsa and flamenco and above all latin jazz)

There's not too many genres I don't listen to.

I ascribe to the theory, "you either like it or you don't." Idiots feel the need to classify music or pidgeonhole it. I pay NO attention to that. There are much more important issues to be concerned about then what these people think or say. Musical preference is NOT that COMPLICATED, if you agree with this post. And if you don't, and have another theory, please enlighten me. That said, I "like" Blues, contemporary Blues/Rock, Jazz, singer/sonwriter(Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Nick Drake etc) and what some idiots call "progressive rock."

I ascribe to the theory, "you either like it or you don't." Idiots feel the need to classify music or pidgeonhole it. I pay NO attention to that. There are much more important issues to be concerned about then what these people think or say. Musical preference is NOT that COMPLICATED, if you agree with this post. And if you don't, and have another theory, please enlighten me. That said, I "like" Blues, contemporary Blues/Rock, Jazz, singer/sonwriter(Nick Cave, Tom Waits, Nick Drake etc) and what some idiots call "progressive rock."

I agree with you completely. Except that it's not just 'idiots' feeling the 'need' to classify music. I mean you even did it yourself at the end of your post. Why did you do that? There must have been a practical purpose for it.

Beyond the partical purposes for labeling music (like where to put CDs in a store), it's also FUN AS FUCK. For me... I have fun defining my favorite bands, making criteria, figuring out what "styles" I "like" and so forth. It gives me a chance to think a lot more about the music. I know that it's all bunk. In truth I don't actually have ANY favorite bands. I like whatever I'm listening to at the time or I don't, and that's all there is to it. There's not a single band or song that I actually like every time I listen to it, and there's not a single band or song that I would dislike every time either (if I hear it in the right circumstances). But I love to categorize all the stuff... plus it lets me define myself which might sound "TEH GAYZ OMG" but it's what most of us metal fans do with our music.