The Grunge Thread

ThePitt

Level 1 Punching Bag
Dec 21, 2009
Pittsburgh. PA
I occasionally give some Nirvana or Alice in Chains a listen to (mostly Alice in Chains though) so if you feel like it discuss some of the bands that formed the music genre that defined the late 80's early 90's

Fortunantly the late 80's was "grunge" free aside from its local brewing points. Candlebox was very acceptable and they werent "grunge". Same for STP

grunge was a funny genre. every band sounded different and had a different look. i like
smashing pumpkins
nirvana (the hits only)
pearl jam
soundgarden
candlebox (just the first album)
alice in chains
bush

One of my friends listens to grunge, and I cant seem to get into it because of the tone. I'm not a big fan of Marylin Manson because I think hes just a big over rated loser. recommend some good songs that really define the genre?

Alice In Chains, Blood Circus, Gruntruck, Soundgarden (Badmotorfinger), Green River, Malfunkshun, Melvins, My Sister's Machine, The U-Men, Quorthon

grunge varied but its sound carried on and fused with other ideas. Its still present. I have seen some people post that there was really only a handful of real grunge bands and they all had to be from Seattle, but that seems silly to me with how the sound filtered down into everything.

good yas all got it figured out then

now you know you need to start a thread about "what grunge band sucked the worst"

or "what grunge band would you be surprised someone liked"

or "what grunge band do poser listen too"

or "what grunge band do rednecks listen to"

geeze I wish I had stuff so well itemized and sorted

holy FUCK how many people on this planet anyhow and to think they dont all think alike... what the fucks the matter with them dont they know thier taste sucks

Why? Why not. They're probably the worst bands in the genre.

I used to idolise Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. I still like them but they've dated a fair bit and as time has gone on I've come to appreciate that Nirvana wrote the best and most timeless music grunge has to offer. Pearl Jam however are boring apart from a few gems.

No mention of Mother Love Bone or even Temple of the Dog. Sweetwater was decent as well. Of course Alice In Chains. Never liked Soundgarden and only took a short liking to Pearl Jam. Nirvana had some decent stuff. The first Candlebox album is catchy as hell. All that late-to-the-scene shit like Seven Mary Three was total garbage.

I always found Nirvana to be overated and thought they were one of hte worse, even worse than Pearl Jam. I dig the more aggressive bands like Gruntruck, Green River, and Blood Circus.

if only what you liked determined what was good and what was bad... then the whole world would be like Pleasentville... ey?

I dont own a single grunge CD or tape.

I do own Candlebox, had a old STP tape somewhere, learned Evenflow to play with the band back in 92 and liked most of that release and the first Soundgarden release. I like Cornells (sp?) voice, always sounds right to me. Lane had a great voice as well. I watched some Nirvana or Kobain live DVD at a friends house with them playing with lots of candles and black roses around. It was pretty good actually, he was quite a character and it made me appreaciate what his thing was more than I did before, still not a fan. He needed a good shower and shampoo.... LOL

I doubt I will ever be buying any grunge CD's. Its OK on the radio from time to time.

No mention of Mother Love Bone or even Temple of the Dog. Sweetwater was decent as well. Of course Alice In Chains. Never liked Soundgarden and only took a short liking to Pearl Jam. Nirvana had some decent stuff. The first Candlebox album is catchy as hell. All that late-to-the-scene shit like Seven Mary Three was total garbage.

Andrew Wood was a talented dude, but I only ever became a huge fan o AiC and Soundgarden. Triedtriedtried to get into Pearl Jam, but always got put off by Eddie Vedder's voice. Could take or leave Nirvana. As ye say, that later influence - 'post-grunge' or whatever it is, groups like Staind - was shit.

I'm not a big fan of Marylin Manson because I think hes just a big over rated loser.
MM is Grunge??? :erk:

Quorthon is grunge??? :erk:

I used to idolise Alice in Chains and Soundgarden. I still like them but they've dated a fair bit and as time has gone on I've come to appreciate that Nirvana wrote the best and most timeless music grunge has to offer. Pearl Jam however are boring apart from a few gems.
This is about the only post I agree with... I totally love Nirvana... as PJ, I only liked Alive, Black and their recent song Breathe (though that one isn't Grunge)... Other then that I like AIC and some SG like Outshined, Black Hole Sun etc. But to me tops is Nirvana...