Favorite kick drum mic?

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Had a Shure Beta52 and it magically stopped working one day.

Looking to buy something else in the $200-$400 range. Was thinking D6, but I not totally sure.

What's your favorite "all around" kick mic in this price range? Currently it'll be used mainly for metal and hard rock.

Don't Hate.

D112 or SM7b most of the time.

If i'm trying to be "organic/sample/trick" free I like 2 mics for control.

I like the d6 and e602.
FYI shure has a flat bench fee for repairs and the generally just send you a new mic.

Did not know this, thanks. Though I bought the mic used from a friend....not sure if that matters. Shame because I had a broken SM58 laying around that somehow managed to just disappear.

I really like the Beta 52, prefer it to my Audix D6

I remember someone posted a nice comparison of a bunch of kick mics on here a while back. The Beta 52 definitely sounded sorta crap compared to the others and I recall the D6 sounding pretty good. Guess it's still really a matter of the source more than anything.

I should also add that I've used a lot of different mics inside on the beater in conjunction with a traditional kick mic outside and honestly the sm58 is a decent sounding inside kick mic, it lacks some low end. A 58 inside with a sm7/d112 or alike at hole or outside the drum can sound quite good.

The D6 is awesome as well, but I always need another mic to blend with it. Usually it's too clicky for me to be used alone.
Not enough slap.

This!

i really like a Sennheiser E901 for "slap" with the D6. What mics do you use/like in combination?

This!

i really like a Sennheiser E901 for "slap" with the D6. What mics do you use/like in combination?

the e602 is pretty cool for that imo! Although I think I already had also used an 421 due to lack of other mics at that time. Or an Sm7.

For the 91 I think it depends on how it's coming out, sometimes the D6 adds something too it, sometimes another one can be better.

D112 as Jacob said is nice as well for some type of not too metalish tones.

I never got anything useful out of the 52 during recording, but for live it sometimes works really well. even for metal stuff.

Overall, the Sennheiser E902. It's almost effortless for me to get a kick drum sound I love with that. Combined with a subkick or nice mic on the outside...Sex.

I've had good luck with my Heil PR40, good balance of click and thump without being scooped. I like to pair it with a sub or something with a little more hyped lows outside the drum.