Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Benighted

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • Face of Melinda

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • Harvest

Votes: 46 24.1%

• Total voters
A close call between To Bid You Farewell, Credence and Face of Melinda, but I eventually had to go for the first one.

-Villain (np: Dirge for November)

I don't consider to bid you farewell or face of melinda to be real ballads anyway

why not??
there are heavy parts, but in general they are ballads.

and i vote for "to bid you farewell". in my opinion the best song of opeth...

Urgh... I'm not one of those people who absolutely have to know exactly what note of which part of which track of which album of which band of which genre of which era I absolutely positively like the very very best.

I could not decide which one is the best. I could write a very long post about which songs fits to the best moods and occasions for me personally. Suffice it to say they're all well within my 'superb' treshold. I won't vote.

I'm going between Credence and to Bid You Farewell.. Remember tomorrow is also very nice.. Hmm.. To bid you farewell for the words..

' In a parade of falling rain.. '

Originally posted by Protocol
I could not decide which one is the best. I could write a very long post about which songs fits to the best moods and occasions for me personally.

Well, why don't you do that? I'd like to know, which songs fit your moods the best.

-Villain

I must admit I'm a little surprised "Face of Melinda" got so few votes - I had a hard time choosing between that one and "To Bid..." but finally opted for "To Bid.." because of it's incredibly catchy guitar melodies.

But the chorus of "Face of Melinda" ... "...still I plot to have her back..." Oh my god that's a beautiful part...

yeah right.....i love Face of Melinda so much for style too.......fantastic composition but Credence......to be frank it's very hard choose best Opeth's ballad....I love all their songs in same way....... :confused:

Well, Credence was the first one I heard, so it's been in my head the longest. Then To Bid You Farewell, Then Face of Melinda, etc. I think the ending of Face of Melinda is fantastic, the heavier parts have a glorious harmony to them. But few things will ever really top To Bid You Farewell. From the catchy "Fade to Black" intro, to the nice, somewhat complicated dual guitar work (I still can't figure out where one guitar stops and the other starts, so I play what appears to be the most prominent melody throughout the riff). It slows down to comfortable level before gearing up into the distorted section - and that first distorted riff remains one of my all-time favourites. The next part just carries you along, and I tend to picture the guitars going at once onstage, even though they don't play this one live. Just totally into it. Then it calms, calms.. Until the drums stop, and just a simple harmony is left, and haunting lyrics. Can't get enough of this song. Like I think I said before somewhere, a non-Opethian friend of mine made me wait in the parking lot while we listened to the heavy riff. "Hold on.. this riff really kicks ass.." We waited till the end of the song.