Favorite Saxon song

Crimson King is among my least favorite Saxon tunes (expecially since it isn't a Saxon tune) and so is Crusader..

Favorites are Dogs of war, 747, Heavy Metal Thunder,Cut out the disease, Broken heroes and several off Metalhead (Metalhead, Song of evil, Are we travellers in time,.. well, that's just too many to be listed, I'm afraid...

it is very hard to choose................... but 'Princess of the night' always when played very loud sends a shiver down my spine during the solo!! just awsome...... i guess we could modify this thread a little bit (sorry Switchnow if you dont mind....:eek:),, but if you do, lets just go with whats your fav SAXON song) to what song played loud /live etc,,,,, realy grabs you emotionaly and physicaly etc,,,, i dont just mean its a great song, but a song that sends shivers down your spine!!!!! and makes you realise why we love SAXON sooooooooooooooooo much!

Crusader. That song is f***ing brilliant, as Biff would say.

But live Denim & Leather, especially the start of the song, always kicks.

And of course, 747 is a great one too.

As is Princess...

And Wheels of steel really rocks...

But still, again, Crusader is perfection.

You don't like Crusader Karsten? You naughty boy!

Favourite Saxon song is definitely See the light shining. Oh, and 747. Oh, and Bands played on. Oh, and Sea of Life.............Song of evil, Cut out the disease, Circle of light, Forever free, Stand up and be counted, Backs to the wall, Denim and leather, Unleash the beast, Deeds of glory, Crusader...........etc etc etc.......

Crusader, Rainbow theme/Frozen Rainbow, The Eagle has Landed, Gonna Shout, Sea of Life, Coming Home.. and a bunch over songs that i can't remember!

just cause CK is my favorite song, dosn't mean i don't have a taste in metal..after it come, princess of the night, HMT, eagle has landed, unleash the beast, and never surrender (which is totally underrated)

In no particular order:

'Power & The Glory'
'Princess Of The Night'
'Killing Ground'
'Unleash The Beast'
'Dallas 1 PM'
'To Hell And Back Again'
'Broken Heroes'
'Red Alert'
'Party 'Til You Puke'
'Dogs Of War'

Witchfinder General at the moment :)

More long term its been Princess of the Night, 747, Dogs of War, Metalhead, etc etc. As soon as I stop to think there's just too bloody many to list!

Never Surrender is a really underated song - it hits a nerve with me, you know?

Dogs Of War, See The Light Shining, The Eagle Has Landed, Travellers In Time, Forever Free, Yesterday's Gone, Warrior, Sailing To America, Midnight Rider, Out Of Control... The list goes on and on and on....

If I had to cut it down to a Top 5, I'd be hours considering everything, and even then may not be able to do it!

Hi There, I'm new to this forum and into Saxon since 1981. The first album I heard was "The Eagle Has Landed". I really loved it and have been a fan till "Rock The Nations". It really sucks in my opinion. With "Solid Ball of Rock" I thought Saxon was on their way back, but as for metal I liked the old Metallica songs more those days. Later on I bought "Unlesh The Beast" and "Metalhead" at the same time. Old feelings from the 80's were coming back to me. Nowadays I still like oldies as "wheels of steel", "strong arm of the law" ,"out of control" and many others. Some of them songs have a really blues influence in it, which I think made Saxon so special those days. Those songs stood the test of time for me. Steve and especially Graham leaving the band took away the blues, but with them trying to continue making those songs did'nt work anymore either. Now there is a new Saxon that is more into metal and the chemics are here again. The music rocks. I like several new songs as "The Preacher", "Killing Ground" and others, but if they stand the test of time for me I will tell you in a few years. I'm into all kinds of music and am now looking forward to "Lionheart".

No way, Switchy! You are not alone! Never Surrender' is a reminder to me - whenever I'm feeling a little low - to not take the shit off anyone! We all get pushed around and dictated to, but hearing this song always reminds you that when you feel cornered you are at your strongest! It is such a strong athem in my life! I also love 'Out Of Control'. I know it isn't a song that comes to mind with most Saxon fans, but it has a great riff, is nice and simple, yet it hits all the right buttons in an emotional way! You know..? When you can't get that lady out of your head and such!!!
Notje - welcome to the forum!
I fully agree with you about the blues influence - I do think Steve and Graham had a large part in regard to the songwriting. I also agree that Biff and the boys lost it for a little while, but there were still a few nice tunes made when Steve and Graham first left. 'Northern Lady' and 'Rock The Nations' are pretty good, in my opinion.
It took awhile for the band to find their feet when Graham and Steve left, but I agree that they found the spot again on 'Solid Ball'. Since then, the albums have just been getting better and better!
I think, at the time of the split, Steve and Graham were aiming for a more American feel and Biff and Paul were looking for a melodic-rock sound.
It's now great to hear that Biff and Co have retained the melody but increased the Rock!

I just had my first Lionheart listening experience (with the children making noise in the background). After hearing some samples on the internet I bought the album today.
Nightwar, I also think Biff is more into melodic metal with lyrics of war and battle. I don't have anything with these kind of lyrics, but I didn't either with motorcycles in the early years and still loved the music. So as for Lionheart I think it's the strongest album in the "new" (crusader already was such a song) Saxon-style. It didn't irritate me during listening while there was such a point on the other "new" albums and many on albums between "old" and "new". I don't think Saxon just got better and better from Solid ball of rock. I think solid ball is a nice album, but with forever free they tried too much to sound like the early years which didn't work for me (I don't like it). Dogs of war was a (doubtly) leap into a new direction and with unleash the beast it was deffinitive.