Favorite song of 2006 so far?

I forgot those:
Cattle Decapitation - Karma Bloody Karma
Cattle Decapitation - Suspended In Caprolite
Cattle Decapitation - Succes Is...(Hanging By The Neck)

Scourge of Malice said:
Certain songs from Mastodon's new album are making their way to the top of my list as well... specifically "Sleeping Giant," and "Colony of Birchmen."

I'm looking forward to that album.

Metal needs more restrospective bands or band members going back to their past. I feel like i'm becoming outdated as a metal fan for not listening to much newer metal. I listen to the same cds over and over and over. I am not sure if i'm growing out of metal or if the current metal scene is as awful as I think.

The Greys said:
Metal needs more restrospective bands or band members going back to their past. I feel like i'm becoming outdated as a metal fan for not listening to much newer metal. I listen to the same cds over and over and over. I am not sure if i'm growing out of metal or if the current metal scene is as awful as I think.

You're not alone. I tend to listen to bands from before the turn of the century much more than the recent ones. There's just not as much creative energy and originality as there once was, since nearly everything's been done before (and done better, I might add).

there's a lot of good new-ish metal bands (within the past 6-10 years) that have come out. like with everything, ya just gotta dig.

If you like black metal, there are plenty of top-tier bands at work right now.

Deathspell Omega is the best that I've heard. If Kenose and the other lengthy songs they've released recently are an indication of what's to come next, they are on the verge of releasing the album of the decade.

Drudkh has three great albums from the past four years, the (arguably) best was from this year. Apparently another is on the way soon. Hate Forest is quite good as well.

Nokturnal Mortum's Weltanschauung from 2005 was outstanding. Completely fresh sounding.

The USBM scene. I haven't heard all the bands yet, as I'm still working through the rest of Xasthur and Leviathan before digging into Nachtmystium and others, but these are all apparently at the top of their game. A project like Twilight has tremendous potential, as well.

Agalloch, duh. You'll find plenty of discussion of them here.

Isis. Excellent compositions and songwriting. Each album has been better than the last. The new one should be an album of the year contender.

Akercocke. Nothing groundbreaking, just very solid death/black metal songs with good production and some progressive elements.

All the above have done really good things within the past two years or so, and appear to be continuing to put out quality material.

The Greys said:

returning to past roots is not the answer unless you can do something new or creative with it that others havent already done. i think thats why so many bands leave the past behind anyway. whenever a new sound comes along so do the copycat bands and then we become oversaturated with it and it loses its effect eg. melodic death metal, all the bodom type bands, early death/black metal. i find myself wondering if im becoming bored with metal as its pretty much all i hear but thats where new music comes along and smartens me up. maybe you just need to open up to more than death metal? maybe styles you didnt immediately like before may open your ears this time. theres plenty of good stuff out there if you give yourself time to adjust to it. i might of passed on way to many fav bands if i didnt go back and give another try.