2006 so far...

JayKeeley said:
Wolfmother

lol. Are they good? I have a funny story about them.

One day I was out with my girlfriend and we were going to get me some running shows. When we left the store we got into her car and on the radio this Queens of the Stone Age song came on and the DJ was like "call in now for free tickets!" I didn't actually think anything of it, but since I showed so much enthusiasm towards the queens song my girlfriend told me to call in. Well, I did and won the tickets. I was stoked, but wasn't entirely sure it was QotSA. We get home and immediately get on the 'net and find it's Wolfmother. We were both like 'wtf is Wolfmother?"

The night of the show came and I ended up having to work while the show went on, but I won free tickets and would have gotten to hang out with the band backstage and all that cool groupie stuff.

Yeah, Wolfmother are catchy stoner rock...great summer tunes. Both them and The Sword are great at loud volume and pedal to the metal. I think both bands have a big student following or something.

Agalloch - Ashes Against the Grain is by far the best album of 2006.

Albums that made my year:
Cult of Luna - Somewhere Along the Highway
Venetian Snares - Cavalcade Of Glee and Dadaist Happy Hardcore
Wolves in the Throne Room - Diadem of 12 Stars
Dolorian - Voidwards
Om - Conference of the Birds
Magyar Posse - Random Avenger
Zombi - Surface to Air
Summoning - Oath Bound
Lebanon - Sunken City
Enslaved - Ruun
Unearthly Trance - The Trident
Manes - View EP

Doomcifer said:
honestly, this year sucks SO FAR...

Just wait until you hear the new Agalloch and Hammers of Misfortune. Those two albums alone will keep you going for a long while. Both albums also have two of the greatest songs by far: "not unlike the waves" and "widow's wall" -- the latter is just such a work of art, I don't even know what to tell you.

Dude, I mean dude, yeah I know the whole album isn't as fly as Permanent Ice but that crust-laden riff from the middle to the end is therre and in the whole album.

I can agree that not the whole album is as good as the opening song. really reminds me of Dystopia in Human = Garbage.

Tool - 10,000 Days
Valkyrie - s/t
Pentagram - Last Daze Here Too
Tenhi - Maaaet

2006 is going to be an amazing year. It's just that all the great stuff is scheduled for the 2nd half of the year.

I have to say that the Tool is slightly disappointing in the long run, and, while I don't advocate for innovation at all costs, I'm a little embarassed by this relative lack of evolution. Contrary to all the others it does not have this 'album' feeling, to me at least . Its still good stuff overall but if I want to spin a Tool , 10,000 days is the last I'd pick. It won't make the top 10 at the end of the year let alone the top 5 if Doomcifer predictions are right and I think they are. I hope I'm wrong ..or not cause that would mean more good music is coming :err:

K. Veronika Decides to Die is winning it for me right now. I doubt this will top Ashes Against the Grain, since Agalloch tends to be timeless, but this is a definite contender for album of the year at least. This is coming close to topping Monad of Creation for me from last year, and that's fucking saying something.