Favorite weird guitar tuning.

Sophii

lil' rat
Dec 28, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
I've battled with my guitar multiple times to find one set tuning.

Unfortunately I have Nick Drake syndrome and tune my guitar to all sorts of weird shit. So my discussion is: Do you have a favorite weird/open/extended tuning you like to play in?

Right now I'm really digging CGDGBE for a nice open sound. It keeps the high end high and the low end fucking monstrous.

As I Lay Dying - Parallels DGDFAD instead of DGCFAD

AGCFAD

No it's not me. I'm just showing it has been done.
For some reason it creates a 7-string sound almost.

(CGCGCEb)
File Below (It's really in CGCFAD-Drop C), but it creates a different atmosphere.

Attachments

• August Burns Red-Internal Cannon Cover (CGCGCEb).mp3
    5.4 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: Sophii
Yep. Huge part of why no one sounds like Lead Belly, they aren't aware of that tuning when trying to play like him.

Smart idea.
I'm too much of a dumbass to own more than one guitar.

I mainly keep it in E standard, but all my old stuff is written in D standard or Drop C, so I tune accordingly:

EADGBE
DADGBE
CGDGBE

I've battled with my guitar multiple times to find one set tuning.
Unfortunately I have Nick Drake syndrome and tune my guitar to all sorts of weird shit. So my discussion is: Do you have a favorite weird/open/extended tuning you like to play in?

Right now I'm really digging CGDGBE for a nice open sound. It keeps the high end high and the low end fucking monstrous.

You probably think I am being silly, but I am being 100% serious......... go find a Goo Goo Dolls forum and look for guitar stuff. Their lead guitarist/singer, Johnny Rzeznik is not a virtuoso by any stretch of the imagination, but he is very inventive and uses lots of bizarre tunings with success. No reason his stuff won't translate into metal.

Bryant

You probably think I am being silly, but I am being 100% serious......... go find a Goo Goo Dolls forum and look for guitar stuff. Their lead guitarist/singer, Johnny Rzeznik is not a virtuoso by any stretch of the imagination, but he is very inventive and uses lots of bizarre tunings with success. No reason his stuff won't translate into metal.

Bryant

Johnny Rzeznik is a killer musician. And I actually really like the Goo Goo Dolls. I mean, Iris is in an absolutely bizarre tuning. BDDDdd.

Man, I didn't know odd tunings we're so popular. I typically use just drop tunings anywhere from drop D on my 6 string, to drop A on my seven string, to Double drop E on my 8 string.

The idea of tuning the guitar in any other way so all the scales i've learned wouldn't fit! But I guess thats how a lot of people feel about drop tunings in general who just stick to standard tunings :p