Favourite Album Cover?

TravestyOfMan

What year is this?!?
Sep 22, 2001
Australia
You've probably been asked this question before, so accept my apologies and ignore this post if that's the case.

Anyway, what's your favourite Opeth cover? And what do you prefer, illustrated covers or photographs (in general)?

With the first three Opeth covers, I actually think the photographs are brilliant. I've heard some people call them dull, but I reckon they look great; really eerie and they set the mood perfectly. What are your thoughts?

Hmmm Morningrise for me....

Well i can't choose between photos and illustrated covers...Both can be cool or awful....it depends...

hmmmm would you like Opeth to have something like hmmm a "trademark" in their covers? for example like lacrimosa do with their clown....he's almost everywhere.....
Personally i don't like this....but hehe i can do an exception for LACRIMOSA ....their album-covers are just awesome and representative of the album title and the album's atmosphere....

:cool:

Every Maiden cover done by Derek Riggs, from Iron Maiden to Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son, including all the singles.

Other nice covers:

Dissection - The Somberlain
Dissection - Storm Of The Light´s Bane
Dark Funeral - Secrets Of The Black Arts
King Diamond - Abigail
King Diamond - 'Them'
Opeth - Morningrise
Opeth - Still Life
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Katatonia - Tonight´s Decision
Katatonia - Last Fair Deal Gone Down

Travis Smith!

The cover for 'Discouraged Ones' is pretty neat as well.

What's with the covers for At The Gates' albums though? Pretty dull. They're letting the Swede's down! ;)

Blackwater Park, morningrise is great too. Katatonia - LFDGD is great and suits their style of decayingness (if that is a word:D )
i really like the picture on the inside of MAYH (re-release and original maybe different) with the gate and woman in the woods.

MAYH is great.
At The Heart of Winter
With Fear I kiss the Burning Darkness is a cool cover by ATG IMO...

Edge of Sanity-Crimson lol :lol:
Now there's a great cover! hehe...

Edge of Sanity-Crimson lol
Now there's a great cover! hehe...

hehe yeah......typical death cover i would call this....

so what's your fave "typical death cover"???

Mine is Entombed "Left hand path"... I love this "Rest in festering slime" phrase....haha

oooooooh,i'm talking tooooooo much today.....hehe probably it's due to the coffeine overconsumption
:eek:

The Morningrise cover was one big factor in why I even bought it as my first Opeth album.

Tenhi-Kauan
Dream Theater-Awake
Dissection-The Somberlain
Ulver-Kveldsjanger

I posted this on the Ultimate metal General Music Discussion board...

Opeth- Morningrise........ Of course, this is just pure beauty, I would love to visit whatever this is!!!

Ulver- Bergtatt........ this cd has not only a really nice painting on the front but the booklet has some wonderful photos as well.

Summoning- Stronghold...... Awesome Castle painting on the cover! Also some nice Forest paintings on the inside. Fits perfect with the Tolkien theme!!!!

Limbonic Art- All of their albums have awesome covers. I believe it is Morfeus from the band that does the covers, as well as some other artwork for other bands, great stuff.

Fatal Embrace- Shadow Souls Garden.... Wonderful!!!!

Tartaros- The Grand Psychotic Castle....... Cool Castle Painting

Cradle Of Filth- Dusk and Her Embrace...... I especailly like the photos inside the booklet of the Graveyards and other areas, nice tint of green there.

Genesis- Wind and Wuthering...... Seems like it set a base for many metal album covers.....

Dark Funeral- The Secrets of the Black Arts..... Haunting, eerie photo on the cover

In Flames- Colony, and Whoracle..... DUH!!! Beauty!

Favorite Opeth Album cover----MAYH

Best Album Cover of All-Time---Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here

I second that, favorite Opeth cover-MAYH without question!
Favorite metal cover-Iron Maiden-Killers
Favorite classic cover-Frank Zappa and the Mothers-We're Only in it for the Money (or the Who-Who's Next)