Favourite Band

Okay to me, 'traditional prog' is King Crimson, Genesis, Gentle Giant, and Van der Graaf Generator.

If you think PT is even in the same league stop bein a scrub IMO

Also, what is creative/innovative about PT? They seem to just ape traditional prog + lots of Pink Floyd + britpop influence (Radiohead/Coldplay) + shitty 90's nu metal influences (Sevendust, Korn, whatever) + 'sorta-prog'
from the 90's (Tool) + leftover psych and space rock

truly a disgusting melange of slop

maybe you just don't listen to enough music if you think no band sounds like them?

Porcupine Tree is better than everything you just mentioned.
*awaits further lashing*

Riverside and Dali sound nothing like PT.
Riverside's new album is fantastic.

You just said that PT ripped off like 7 genres.
Even if I agreed, successfully moulding 7 genres into one cohesive unit would be impressive in its own right.
Still disagree.

Sauna, I couldn't have said it better myself (aside from the solo work and Storm Corrosion part; I really have to give those more listens).

Riverside and Dali sound nothing like PT.
Riverside's new album is fantastic.

I like the album too, but to be fair they do sound a lot like Porcupine Tree at times.

Get better taste, you have an Opeth avatar too, ew

Why is it that not appreciating bands is such a cool thing? Why do so many music fans think it's more important to not like "bad music" than to actually like "good music"? And most importantly, why do people have a tendency to be proud about not liking something instead of going "what is it that I don't get about this?". Music is one of the greatest things out there, it drives me crazy to see so much negativity attached to it.

I like a lot of the stuff I've seen you defend on this forum. The fact that I also like Opeth, or SW's stuff, or god knows how many other things you consider "scrub" music shouldn't trump that.

Why is it that not appreciating bands is such a cool thing? Why do so many music fans think it's more important to not like "bad music" than to actually like "good music"? And most importantly, why do people have a tendency to be proud about not liking something instead of going "what is it that I don't get about this?". Music is one of the greatest things out there, it drives me crazy to see so much negativity attached to it.

b/c if I don't, how will everyone know how cool I am?

My opinions are so great I feel obliged to share the with everyone

Opeth is amazing, and not a single band sounds like them.
How anybody can insult their entire catalogue is beyond me.

Sauna, I 100% disagree. I feel that PT and Riverside sound nothing alike.
Riverside is very warm and smooth (though dark), whereas PT is more raw/industrial.
The phrasing, structures, etc. are completely different, IMO.

More similar than Dali, though, that's for sure. They're not even the same genre.

You forget another similarity between them, which is that they all sound like ME BEING UNCONSCIOUS

b/c if I don't, how will everyone know how cool I am?

My opinions are so great I feel obliged to share the with everyone

I like to hear opinions from people be them negative or positive but yours are so over the top with negativity to the point that yours aren't welcomed anymore... Congrats!!!

Hopefully for the new year you'll pick a different forum to share....

BTW... Your not funny which I truly hope is your goal...

Dark Tranquility is my favorite live band, yet they have no live albums. WUT. Their deluxe editions with live tracks are worth it.

Well, you're right - except for their 2 live albums:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Where-Death-Most-Alive-Tranquillity/dp/B002RWX61Y/ref=sr_1_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389856107&sr=1-2&keywords=Where+Death+Is+Most+Alive[/ame]

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Tranquility-Damage-Martin-Henriksson/dp/B000159EII/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1389856153&sr=1-3&keywords=live+damage[/ame]

oh sweet.

note to self: don't use wikipedia as a final source of music information.

EDIT: ah, those were DVDs. I meant actual live albums -> "recorded live for album". But I suppose these DVDs have accompanying CDs too.

EDIT2:
this is fucking sick y'all

Last edited by a moderator:
oh sweet.

note to self: don't use wikipedia as a final source of music information.

EDIT: ah, those were DVDs. I meant actual live albums -> "recorded live for album". But I suppose these DVDs have accompanying CDs too.

EDIT2:
this is fucking sick y'all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcW605Ewf5c

The second disc for Exposures is most of the Live Damage DVD, and there's a 2 cd audio version of Where Death is Most Alive, so... yeah.