Favourite Band

Just a guess, but maybe writing for stuff for a next album? I saw in an interview MJR says he spends most of every day just playing and recording. and it's been almost three years since IC, so we're looking at like one or two more.

Of course this is just a guess? And if it IS the case, then it doesn't exactly bode well. Of course, I hope I'm wrong.

Symphony X songs are not easy to write, IMHO. It's not a matter of putting up a melody over a chord progression, adding a riff and then go straight to the rehearsal room to arrange it with the full band.

I'm pretty sure Romeo has tons of riffs, ideas and melodies archived, and he often goes through them from time to time to find out what's good, what's not, what can be used in a certain part of a certain song. He also probably writes down full demos on Pro Tools or whatever, another work that requires a lot of time (being him a perfectionist, I'm pretty sure he polishes every single detail even at this stage).

On a side note - I hope to be wrong, but Lepond releasing a solo album sounds to me like "Romeo doesn't like my musical ideas, I'll use them myself" :rolleyes:

On a side note - I hope to be wrong, but Lepond releasing a solo album sounds to me like "Romeo doesn't like my musical ideas, I'll use them myself" :rolleyes:

Thats what I'm saying. The other members shouldn't feel the need to write a solo album because they can't get their ideas out in the actual band. That why I disliked IC so much; it was pretty much just Romeo playing a bunch of riffs, and all the songs were written by him alone. He also seems to like it this way.

Sorry guys, this got away from the original thread topic. :cry: Opeths good- Still Life is my favorite of theirs

Lepond has been quite busy lately. Today I find out he is working on a solo/side project of his own, and just yesterday I found out he plays the bass on the latest Lalu album.

I know he has had a rough time with his health previously and am glad to hear he has been so active as of late. This is also the sole SyX member who chose V as his favorite SyX album!

I just started listening to Talk Talk tonight and I can already see them becoming a favorite.
It's like Marillion meets Peter Gabriel meets A-ha.

This is perfect music:

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel that Porcupine Tree is the epitome of greatness.
When I watch something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKeTD8E8Nkg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I feel that there is no other group of people that can do 'it' better.

The soundscapes/atmosphere they create, how ridiculously tight they are, the compositions, techniques... are just sublime.

That closing guitar solo makes me want to cry every time I hear it.

Snorecupine Tree

Britpop and nu metal can fuck off from prog, world's running out of interesting music

Sure, Steven Wilson is screwing up prog for everyone and somehow is also connected to "world running out of interesting music".

If you think they're boring, they're boring, but nowadays it's apparently cool to hate Steven Wilson when he's actually one guy who is doing exactly what he wants in music.

Sure, Steven Wilson is screwing up prog for everyone and somehow is also connected to "world running out of interesting music".

If you think they're boring, they're boring, but nowadays it's apparently cool to hate Steven Wilson when he's actually one guy who is doing exactly what he wants in music.

Joke's on you, I always hated Steven Wilson

so that means, wait for it - I DID IT BEFORE IT WAS COOL AHAHAAH

And yeah, PT is partly responsible for making prog more boring, is that a controversial claim or something?

Porcupine Tree boring? Totally disagree; much more engaging than any 'traditional' prog metal.
Traditional prog, to me, has become the 'not this shit again'.
To say that Steven Wilson isn't creative blows my mind.
I have never seen a band more tight than them live either.
I don't know any band that sounds like them, and I find there is tons of variety and unpredictability to their music.

I'm not huge into SW's solo work, though.

Porcupine Tree is awesome, SW solo might be even better, Storm Corrosion at its best is as good as anything has ever been. Steven Wilson's existence is a blessing on the world. Everyone gets to like whatever they want to, but anyone dismissing him as worthless should be ashamed.

Porcupine Tree boring? Totally disagree; much more engaging than any 'traditional' prog metal.
Traditional prog, to me, has become the 'not this shit again'.
To say that Steven Wilson isn't creative blows my mind.
I have never seen a band more tight than them live either.
I don't know any band that sounds like them, and I find there is tons of variety and unpredictability to their music.

I'm not huge into SW's solo work, though.

Okay to me, 'traditional prog' is King Crimson, Genesis, Gentle Giant, and Van der Graaf Generator.

If you think PT is even in the same league stop bein a scrub IMO

Also, what is creative/innovative about PT? They seem to just ape traditional prog + lots of Pink Floyd + britpop influence (Radiohead/Coldplay) + shitty 90's nu metal influences (Sevendust, Korn, whatever) + 'sorta-prog'
from the 90's (Tool) + leftover psych and space rock

truly a disgusting melange of slop

maybe you just don't listen to enough music if you think no band sounds like them?

A better question might be, in modern prog, what band DOESN'T sound like Porcupine Tree?!

Like yeah, I want another fucking Riverside or Dali's Dilemma to put me to fuckin' sleep, PT wasn't already Anesthetizing me enough

LOL

Porcupine Tree is awesome, SW solo might be even better, Storm Corrosion at its best is as good as anything has ever been. Steven Wilson's existence is a blessing on the world. Everyone gets to like whatever they want to, but anyone dismissing him as worthless should be ashamed.

Get better taste, you have an Opeth avatar too, ew