Favourite Bass Pickups? (Soapbar)

Trevoire520

Mar 24, 2007
Fife, Scotland
So just bought myself a new bass, a Spector Legend 5, and from what I've read the stock SSD-Inc pickups aren't too great, so i'm eyeing up options for some replacements!

What do you guys like? EMG's? Bartolini's? Anything else?

I think Ermz was using some kind of EMG's in his Spector a while back?

I've got a bass loaded with the EMG CS-35 and DC-35 and it's got a wide sweep of good tones. That said, I find myself liking P-bass pickups more and more, so want to try the P/J EMGs they have in soapbar dimensions. Never played the Duncan blackouts on bass, but I have a MIM Jazz bass I put Quarter Pounders in and really like those.

Yeah I've got a Fender mex P with a quarter pounder and a Squier VM Jazz so pretty well covered for those tones (though I might try swapping out the Jazz pickups in the future)

I did have a bassist come in with a 7 string Conklin recently that had Bartolinis that sounded pretty nice, though they're an absolute fucker to actually source over here. Even the EMG's are basicallly non-existent second hand here so got the buy brand new which is pretty expensive :-/ gotta love the quest for tone huh?

Basically, EMG's if you want that sound, barts if you want something with less super highs and with more low mid; Aguilar if you want something in between those two.

Hadn't really considered Aguilar, pretty pricey though, moreso than the EMG's anyway.

Anyone tried Kent Armstrong pickups? They seem to go pretty cheap and I've heard good things about their guitar pickups.

That's too bad. Here the aggies can be had for a bit less than EMG's or Barts. I've heard decent things about the KA stuff but I have zero first hand experience. To me EMG is the definitive spector sound so personally I'd probably look for a set of 35's (or 40's, whatever fits).

Anyone tried Kent Armstrong pickups? They seem to go pretty cheap and I've heard good things about their guitar pickups.
Don't be put off by the low price Trev, K.A pickups are great.
I've never tried their soapbars but I had a J-set in a MIM Jazz years ago.
Done exactly what they were supposed to do.
I'd be tempted to give them a whirl....??

Might give them a go, though thinking about it the EMG 40DC's aren't too expensive if you don't mess around with adding a EQ set, I normally eq bass through the desk rather than using the onboard stuff anyway as I find the desk eq is less noisy, so maybe just using the stock vol/tone knobs is the way to go.