Favourite Tour Moment?

derek

Grey Eminence
Sep 30, 2005
Edinburgh, U.K.
I think anyone who saw Nevermore on tour recently would agree they were fucking amazing. So with that in mind, post (if you can be bothered) your favourite moment of the gig you were at.

P.S - Stories of group masturbation infront of a shredding Jeff Loomis are most definately not welcome :headbang:

Mine would be the Savatage/Nevermore tour, which took place September 12 2001 in Tempe. The whole mood was pretty funky immediately following the destruction of the Twin Towers. If nothing else, it was really weird looking up and seeing no planes or jets of any kind in the sky. The gig went ahead, and after a long wait to get in, my several companions and I proceeded to obliterate several shots and beers and settle in for the metal. Nevermore's performance was pretty killer, and midway through the set, Warrel pointed me out as I was wearing a Death t-shirt and dedicated "The Heart Collector" to Chuck. A lot of what made both Nevermore's and Savatage's performance particular good was that it was a bit more cathartic than might normally be the case.

But the true moment was afterwards. A friend of mine, Heidi, was an old-school metal fan who knew Warrel back from Sanctuary Days and had apparently been VERY closely aquianted with Johnny Lee Middleton of Savatage. After the show all the band members were hanging out, talking, Heidi getting cozy with Mr. Middleton, myself and Charlie talking with Jeff and Warrel about their performance, Chuck's health, politics, and Kernon's production versus Sneap's and why Emperor ruled. I actually recall Warrel hugging me. (This was before he quit drinking, we can't hold him to responsible).

Not particularly metal, but it stands out.

Awesome story. I think the gig i was at (Glasgow) seemed to stand out because Nevermore have never been here before really.

Warrel seemed enthused to be here and sang like a devil staight outta hell. Best moment was when Warrel was right in our faces (my side of the stage seemed to contain the older fans who knew the lyrics) and sang enemies of reality - with all the force and intelligence the lyrics contain, fucking humbling and HEAVY. I've always been interested in the discussion of consciousness and the idea of "reality" so the gravitas of the song made it a pretty kick-ass moment. Previous to that i had been getting wasted with some OLD buddies i hadnt seen in a long time, so the night all came together in the spirit of heavy-fucking-metal.

i was there too dude, standin in front of jeff all night, was by far the best gig i've been to this year (already seen The Haunted, Opeth, Heathen, Anthrax, Slipknot, Rammstein, Kataklysm) & 'cause it was their first visit, I hope that was special enough.....................................hope they come back soon

I don't have anything especilly cool but when I saw them recantly during Jeffs solo in final product Steve raised the horns to our side of the stage and me and one other guy (this was really early in the day almost no one was there) returned the gesture and steve gave us a nod as if satisfied and went back to playing. It wasn't really that moment that made it cool but the fact that they played like the place was filled even if it was just a few people wandering around looking for there seats and some diehards.

Final_Product said:
I saw the haunted too, they were pretty good. Suffocation take my 2nd best gig of the year tho

where did u see them? 2nd for me was opeth, mibee Heathen, can't quite decide, which saws the qulaity of both!!!!!!!!!:headbang:

i thought ivroy blacks was pretty good too, alot more open & u can get right up to the stage................would love to know what the band thought when travelling all that way to play a wee/tiny club like that? still good that they did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mlefa30 said:
i thought ivroy blacks was pretty good too, alot more open & u can get right up to the stage................would love to know what the band thought when travelling all that way to play a wee/tiny club like that? still good that they did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gigs like the one in Glasgow tend to be the ones band mems will remember more vividly, small club , crazy fans, that was the day we learned Steve's father had passed, I think that alone cemented this gig in my memory, but this show was also a very difficult one for Steve.... and he played beautifully regardless

Sentient6 said:
gigs like the one in Glasgow tend to be the ones band mems will remember more vividly, small club , crazy fans, that was the day we learned Steve's father had passed, I think that alone cemented this gig in my memory, but this show was also a very difficult one for Steve.... and he played beautifully regardless

Yes, he did. Steve blazing a solo inches from my face with his foot on a support amp is always gonna be one of my top metal-gig experiences. Hopefully he can take some comfort in the fact that (and i hope i speak for most folks on the board) I cant imagine anyone else in the band, and love the writing he done on the album, and hopefully he'll be in the band for a long time to come!

All the best,

Derek

my favorite moment has to be when jim saw my fruit of the loomis shirt from up on stage, laughed, and poked warrel. when i met jeff later he wasn't tooo upset :p (philly 2003)

though seeing nevermore for the first time back in dallas in 2001 was a pretty good moment in itself :headbang:

ct_thrash said:
my favorite moment has to be when jim saw my fruit of the loomis shirt from up on stage, laughed, and poked warrel. when i met jeff later he wasn't tooo upset :p (philly 2003)

though seeing nevermore for the first time back in dallas in 2001 was a pretty good moment in itself :headbang:

Fruit of the Loomis? Thats fucking brilliant. You gotta post a picture of that if you can.

we started a whole line of fruit of the loomis crap! will came up with the whole thing and made an ad, i made a shirt, maharet made magnets and buttons. lawlz. k i'll find a pic.

Final_Product said:
Fruit of the Loomis? Thats fucking brilliant. You gotta post a picture of that if you can.

i've got pictures of jeff all night, they all roc 'cause he does, still the best ever:headbang:

I have only seen Nevermore once and had the time of my life. It was at the Edmoton Gigantour last month. After Nevermore's set I go outside to have a smoke and see Warrell just down the ramp area. So I go down for what I thought was just to say hello and thanks for a kickass set and a great new album. We ended up just shooting the shit about music for about 15-20 minutes. What a cool guy

Final_Product said:

wd1.jpg