Favre Situation

You know it's bad when I'm sick of the whole mess, being a GB fan. Brett has put the team in a very awkward position, and is now whining that they didn't want him bad enough. WTF. Get over yourself, ya damn crybaby. You retired, they moved on. You waffled, they gave the job to Rodgers. Is it really worth all this BS? I have lost a lot of respect for him, that's for sure. And now seeing him in a Jets uniform...ugh. So much for going out on a good note.
As a long time Packer fan that's pretty much my take as well. I'm glad the organization stuck to their guns ... in the end Favre didn't really get what he wanted, and the Packers did .. plus they got compensated for it.

I'm trying to cut Favre a break on some of the stuff he pulled ... it's a business, and he has certain things he had to do to get out of GB. I think both sides could have settled this a month ago, but they both dug in and duked it out for a while.

Oh well .. it was time to move on for both sides. Brett's a Jet .. best of luck to ya.

Britt

Actually, I think it even goes further with either he or at least the people supporting him claiming he was forced to retire. I try not to pay attention so I don't know the particulars.
Personally I think the organization didn't care if he returned or not ... and that hurt Brett's feelings. I think he wanted to be told how much he was needed, and when the Packers started to ask about his decision without really telling him how badly they wanted him he decided to retire.

I think the Packers brass was genuinely suprised by Brett's performance last year, and thought it might have been fools gold. The two previous years he had a combined total of 38 td's and 47 int's. In 07' he goes for 28 td's and 15 int's after being involved in all the OTA's, minicamps, etc. He even said he worked harder than ever. This year the commitment wasn't there until late June, and I thik they really questioned if he could produce another season like 07'.

We'll see how it turns out, but for the Packers I think they made the right call, but it seems this could have solved quite a while back instead of in the drugout fashion it was.

Britt

Farve seems like a miserable case. It's clear the guy has no firm grasp on living a life that doesn't involve suiting up every Sunday. In recent years, former pro athletes have founded groups to help in assisting players who can't find any meaning in their lives once they hang up the cleats, gloves, bballs, etc. From what I've read, it seems that football players have the toughest time adjusting mentally from leaving the game. Their post-career problems involve depression, thoughts/attempts of suicide, substance abuse, feelings of worthlessness, and just an overall inability to move on. Most of these guys fly under the radar, but with Favre being such a big name I think we're all witnessing it firsthand.

Most of these guys fly under the radar, but with Favre being such a big name I think we're all witnessing it firsthand.

I have never thought of it this way, but it does make sense. How long has he been a pro QB? 16 years or so? No wonder why he can't retire - because he can't cope with the fact he would be leaving the game.

That's why I highly suggested he move to becoming a QB coach, an offensive line coach, or some job in the front office of a football team. He could also become a TV football analyst, provide color commentary or even be part of those pre-game shows. But I agree, he needs an outlet for doing something on a Sunday between August and February. :)