Fear Factory - Mechanize

Pitiless Wanderer

Jun 14, 2002
Salt Lake City, UT
Solid effort. The rhythm section (monsters Gene Hoglan and Byron Stroud from Strapping Young Lad) is absolutely tight as hell and the band sounds healthier than they have in the past 6 or 7 years. It's good to have Dino back as he sounds as fresh, with machine gun riffs and a good guitar tone. Burton's traditional screams and clean vocals echo the frustrations and anger that fueled earlier efforts like Demanufacture to reach such a cult following. The songs are punishing and mostly devoid of any nu-metal characteristics (I say mostly because depending on ones definition of 'nu-metal' one could perhaps find fault with the start/stop syncopation, among other things, though it must be said that these individuals would only be seeing the trees and not the forest that is FF).

Overall, I think it is a fine record. The last song on the album, Final Exit, is by far the best material in the 45 minutes of music on the album, as it carries melodies, progressive elements and is demonstrative of the true talent of the band. I only wish the album had more songs in this vein and perhaps the next record will be slightly more experimental while maintaining the core FF sound.

I say, so far, 7 or maybe 8/10.

Has anyone else heard it? Thoughts?

Love it, MUCH better then Transgression! 8.5/10 by me so far. Will for sure grow on me like all the FF albums. Huge fan of everyone of them:

Soul of a new machine - 7.5/6
Demanufacture - 10/10
Obsolete - 9/10
Digimortal - 7/10
Concrete - Dont count it as an album in the same way as the others. Dont like it either.
Archetype - 9/10
Transgression - 6.5/10
Mechanize - 8/10

And yes, im a fanboy of this band:worship:

Just got done with my first listen and am happy to say I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I had expected.

Demanufacture and Obsolete are classic.

Canada sucks. go listen to children of bodom and some other crappy music

I will destroy you.

Trollface_HD.jpg