Feared Mixing Competition 2013

Was off today so had time to do a proper mix of my Bolt Thrower style remix.
I had trouble with the supplied DI tracks sounding scratchy so I match EQed to a DI of my ESP MI-NTB with Duncan SH11 and got this!!
Feared_MatchEQ.png

High quality version
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2133088/BT_REMIX_V2.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers ermz
My actual comp entry mix wasn't very good.
Between teaching and sessions I only had a couple of hours to do it.
Until I figured out that the di tracks had an overbearing amount of 3k I couldn't get any power into the guitars. I would love to know olas chain for the dis. Something doesn't seem right to me.

I must check out your analog chains you posted too.
I used drawmer 221 on kick and snare, la610 for vocals and 1968me on the mix. Plugins don't stand a chance against analog compressors IMO.

Until I figured out that the di tracks had an overbearing amount of 3k I couldn't get any power into the guitars. I would love to know olas chain for the dis. Something doesn't seem right to me.

Just an educated guess, but I believe what you're experiencing could be the sound of the guitar. My friend owns an S7 Cobra; it sounds very different to any other guitar I've tried.

Analogue can be a lot of fun. You have to reign it in for metal otherwise things can get messy, but with stuff that's written and tracked very raw like this it can really help to get some swing and attitude in there.

Also something I wanted to discuss was the bass track. What are your opinions? Personally I felt like I should've recorded a bass track that did what I want bass players to do which is to support the mix and bring energy. This bassist clearly had lots of technique and is very capable but to make people hear what he's doing would force us to... make guitars sound worse. :) So I did what everyone else did... buried the bass with guitars. :D

EDIT: Chris, I love the fact that other people also "cheat" with Ozone. :D It just works... when something isn't quite right, it always helps. I don't think we should feel like it's cheating... it's way less cheating than replaceing drums with samples. :)

Any chance the raw files are still available somewhere?
I've missed this contest but still would like to use them for practice.

Thanks

Hey Clark,
i didn't like so much the bass D.I., maybe too much "dirty" and really difficult to deal with.
I mean, it litterally devoured my guitar reamp so i was forced to hide it in the mid part of the mix..it was something like "oh crap it's too high" or "it's too damn hided".
I would like to have a feedback from you :D
here's my entry

http://soundcloud.com/fabrizio-gesuato/fabrizio-gesuato-feared

cheers

Also something I wanted to discuss was the bass track. What are your opinions? Personally I felt like I should've recorded a bass track that did what I want bass players to do which is to support the mix and bring energy. This bassist clearly had lots of technique and is very capable but to make people hear what he's doing would force us to... make guitars sound worse. :) So I did what everyone else did... buried the bass with guitars. :D

EDIT: Chris, I love the fact that other people also "cheat" with Ozone. :D It just works... when something isn't quite right, it always helps. I don't think we should feel like it's cheating... it's way less cheating than replaceing drums with samples. :)

Late to the party but I finally got the time to do a quick mix of this tune!

Fun stuff indeed :D

Last edited by a moderator: