Feb 28 - The Drink London

AFairJudgement0

A fair judgement deserved
Jan 2, 2006
Guelph/Peterborough, Ontario
Ok, I just wanted to know how many of you ontarions are making the seemingly out of the way trek to london on Tuesday to see Opeth. Im skipping 2 days of class/work, and sacrificing much needed time to work on my 25 page paper to see them on tuesday. Oh not to mention i goto school in Peterborough, so thats a good 6 hours out of teh way. Roll call time!

You go to school in Peterborough, eh? I go to school in Lindsay... would love to go, don't have any class to skip (It's reading week for us)... but I'm damn flat broke. Oh yeah, and I don't have a car. Shite.

hey, so its 6:45am and im about to head back to school (a good 4 1/2 hours of busses) and i just woke up from approx 3 hours of sleep.. grand! Nevertheless, I want to emphasize my utmost gratification for last nights show! It was fucking kickass, as Opeth played their common set for this tour with the exception of a kickass drum solo by axe, and a full length 'soldier of fortune' cover (which i did not expect.

Despite having a few dickheads that pissed the band off in the first song by throwing ice at the band, and managing to get on stage and group mike and peter, I would like to give the band tons of credit for sticking it out and putting on a great show for teh rest of us (almost a direct quote of what mike said).

Mike got in a better mood by the end of teh show and even had a few really good jokes about some of the reasons why Sweden won the gold medals for hockey/curling/and downhill skiing for women. His reason being "that he wasn't on any of the teams" (apologies for paraphrasing).

DTB was definately a joy to see. They ended their tour last night and really stole the show from DT imo. DT was awesome too, but DTB seemed to have such solid tone, and Devin is just an amazing frontman. A real crowd pleaser that guy is.

So all in all, out of the many opeth shows I've been too, I was hella impressed with everything I witnessed. Even teh venue was good too see from almost all angles, and there was seating which was nice in parts. So Again, Thanks Opeth!

It never ceases to amaze me the actual ends ill goto to see this band, and ppl who dont know teh band ask me 'why do you keep going to see that one band?' Well if these ppl knew the shows that opeth put on, then maybe they would truly understand!! For those who made it, \m/ and those who didn't, too bad, maybe next time. But you missed a good show, and it was definately worth the 4 1/2 hour drive, and missing of 2 days of work/class!

When Opeth first announced this tour I kept holding out hope that they would be coming to Toronto but decided that I better grab tickets for London just in case they don't. I also justified it as a birthday present to myself (my birthday was Feb. 27). Now one day after that show am I ever glad I did.

First off, it was a bit of a trek for me and my buddies. Starting in Mississauga, then on to Hamilton for a few drinks, then finally on to London. Amazingly we got there in time to see DTB take the stage. I'm a big fan of SYL but wasn't too familiar with DTB or any of Devin's solo stuff. I have to admit though, they rocked and Devin puts on an amazing show, great frontman!!!!

Next up was Dark Tranquility, who I was also VERY impressed with. Great tunes, good stage presence and they really got the crowd into it. These guys shredded and I will definitely pick up a disc of theirs.

Next on to Opeth. As previously mentioned, the start was a little rough as some morons rushed the stage and were tossing stuff. I've been to alot of shows and could never understand why people would throw things at a band they paid to see. I mean to go to a festival and do it to a band you don't like is one thing (not that I condone it or anything) but going to an Opeth show usually means you're a fan of Opeth so why piss them off. Anyways, other than the rough start the boys were great!!!

Special things to mention:
-loved the Soldier of Fortune cover
-nice little drum solo by Axe
-great performance of Amen Corner
-Grand Conjuration was dead on
-great venue, could see from almost anywhere and the sound was solid too
-Baying of the Hounds was a little slow

This was the third time I'd seen Opeth and they have always impressed me. They are among the best live acts out there, you always get your moneys worth.

Mike, Per, Peter, Martin and Axe you guys made it worth the drive to London!!!!! Come back soon!!!

I started off in Mississauga too, left yesterday around noon but decided to get a hotel in London (because I'm lazy, and we didnt feel like driving home after the show)

The venue was really good, I was standing right on the edge of the pit on the main floor, about 10 feet from the stage. It was perfect. We tried to go upstairs to find seats, but they were all taken.

All three bands were great, and I loved Mikes interpretation of what TGC was about...

"This next song is about naked chicks, cockroaches, snakes, toilets.... umm, gasoline... big dudes with muscles... and Jesus"

it was a great night!! Opeth of course was really solid, they never miss a step.

however, i was very troubled by 3 things:

1. the assbite who threw the ice at Mike at the beginning... thet person should be ashamed of themselves. probably one of the stupid emo kids i saw there.

2. the amount of emo kids who only knew the grand conjuration and thats it. i cannot tell you how many kids i saw just stand around, then once Mike announced it, they all went nuts, then after it finished, they just stood there. if you are reading this and are one of those people, you are below garbage, you wasted tickets that another deserving Opeth fan could have.

3. everyone just standing around!! dont get me wrong, its very hard to keep energetic through an entire Opeth set, but honestly, how frustrating must it be for them to rock out and see all the crowd standing like zombies! at least nod your heads, let alone some headbanging!!

but all those faults aside, i must say seeing Opeth for the third time was a treat. Mike of course was always comical, the soldier of fortune cover was great, Axe's drum solo was great, they never cease to amaze me.

also, being front row helps!! front row Opeth is unreal, its a great experience!

PS: i saw lots of digital/video cameras around, anyone find any pics/vids of it?

Fuck, someone threw ice at Mike? Emo shits. Thats just disrespectful.

Dumbass kids thinking TGC is a good song, too, thats horrible.

stormrider_67 said:
it was a great night!! Opeth of course was really solid, they never miss a step.

however, i was very troubled by 3 things:

1. the assbite who threw the ice at Mike at the beginning... thet person should be ashamed of themselves. probably one of the stupid emo kids i saw there.

2. the amount of emo kids who only knew the grand conjuration and thats it. i cannot tell you how many kids i saw just stand around, then once Mike announced it, they all went nuts, then after it finished, they just stood there. if you are reading this and are one of those people, you are below garbage, you wasted tickets that another deserving Opeth fan could have.

3. everyone just standing around!! dont get me wrong, its very hard to keep energetic through an entire Opeth set, but honestly, how frustrating must it be for them to rock out and see all the crowd standing like zombies! at least nod your heads, let alone some headbanging!!

Someone threw ice at them? What the fuck! I wouldve punched them in the fucking face.

Yea there were so many kids at the Towson show who just knew the Grand Conjuration, and thats it. There were a lot of dumb wankers that I could tell that was the only song they knew only and probably from seeing it on Mtv2 or something.

I still cant believe they did that to Mike and Peter though, theyve toured North America 3 times in the past 8 months or so, and this is how they get treated?!

:headbang: I was there! It was my 7th Opeth show and it rocked as usual. Though, since the last one I was at was at the Medley in Montreal (which was almost impossible to top it was soooo good) this show was not quite on par. But, still damn amazing overall, without a doubt.

I liked the thing Mike said about the cross someone handed over to him. He had it in his hands and just looked at it, "ahhh, I remember a time when I used to wear this. But not not anymore." Haha. That was cool.

Overall, I was simply AMAZED by the SHOCKING setlist. I mean, holy crap! The fact they opened up with GoP was just amazing (they actually PLAYED it! Hell yeah!) and the fact they played Amen Corner which was just breathtaking and majestic to see live. But, to top it off, they played UNDER A WEEPING MOON which imo was the highlight of the show. It was epic, surreal and just damn right psychedelic. In fact, one dude actually turned to me after I told a buddy of mine how damn amazing the song was after it was finished and he said to me, "man, it's like being at a Pink Floyd concert. I'm just so dazed out right now."
Yeah, it was a stellar performance with some AMAZING guitar work and sound. Trippy stuff. You can't really headbang or mosh to it alot of the time, I was just standing there in sheer awe soaking every note they played in. My jaw hit the floor as I witnessed some of the most finest musicianship ever.

Excellent show!

Final Note: Mike, IF you read this by any chance (yeah, right), your cover of Soldier of Fortune IS on par with the original. Don't downgrade it - you guys played the song with pure class. What a magnificent performance and stunning vocal work.