February is Black Metal history month.

I thought that was a great thread. It sparked intelligent debate by everyone. And no, my stance has not changed.

Nothing was solved is what I meant. Debates are meaningless if everybody leaves it without a different perspective on their thoughts. You made a statement, that Lugio (or whatever) dude insisted you were an idiot. Never the twain shall meet.

(I'm not meaning to insult anyone involved, just that at the end it was nothing more than prattle. I also only skimmed it past the 1st page. :p )

Nice new signature, I hope people don't misunderstand the joke.

I had a college professor once tell me that whites could not be descriminated against. Needless to say, I didn't attend that class more than absolutely necessary.

What then, is "racism?" It is any opposition by whites to official policies of racial preference for non-whites. It is any preference by whites for their own people and culture. It is any resistance by whites to the idea of becoming a minority people.

People are going to read this part only and say "yeah!!! Dreamlord is right!!!" and completely miss this part:

It is, in short, any of the normal aspirations of people-hood that have defined nations since the beginning of history - but only so long as the aspirations are those of whites.

Unless you're giving more credence to the reading abilities of General Music Discussion regulars than I am. :loco:

heh, I'm sure some dumb mofo will take it the wrong way, but we can't exactly blow up New England, can we? :loco:

Well, the other thing to remember is that Black History Month is something very specific to the USA. Not everyone has gone through that same history, and so if this month is used to remember slavery, oppression, civil rights, then what's the problem with that? I'll get to the reverse racism bit in a second...

I've always hated the term, "black". I mean, I know that even 'black' people use that term to depict themselves, but I think it's just because it's become so exhausted over the years. I think it would make more sense if they referred to themselves as 'African Americans'. That way, they have some identity (through history) and it segregates themselves from other 'black' people who might have not been captured as slaves and brought to America. (E.g. Aborigines, South Indians, etc.). Now I know that most black people these days have no affiliation with the continent of Africa whatsoever, so why should they even claim to be African-American anymore? Well, in that regard, what about 'white' people?

The term "White", therefore, and particularly in the USA, is also pretty crap & meaningless. Most American 'white' people I know refer to themselves by their heritage, whether it be Irish, German, Italian, and so forth. All my in-laws are devout Irish and Scottish Americans, and they take huge pride in it. Saint Patricks Day, for example, is a bigger event than, say, Christmas. Perhaps this is something specific to the NE though?

So my point is this: I can't imagine there being a "White" History Month. Now if you were to say, "Irish History", or "Italian History", then I would agree in that it makes some more sense. There are certainly enough Irish and Italians in the USA to warrant some kind of rememberance of their history and bloodlines.

However, perhaps this would all add to the issue of further segregation, but at least it offers more meaning to where you come from (since everyone knows that all modern Americans had to come from somewhere whether by force or by choice), and I certainly think it's better than just generalizing everything down to 'black' and 'white', cos you know, that's just silly.

Yeah? No?

I wonder how long it is going to take for American to become on ethnicity. Technically speaking, everyone from anywhere migrated (or had ancestors that did) from elsewhere at one point in time right?

You ask people that support Black History Month why there is no White History Month and they'll tell you "every month is white history month" or some other choice nugget of horse puckey, but incorporating a more ethnic-specific month would probably not be labelled as racist (Irish History Month, etc.). The problem is like you said, it lumps everyone under the "black" moniker when what they really mean is African American. Personally I have no problem with it, other than the double standard it implies. Then again I don't see why one month out of the year specifically targets an ethnic group: if blacks played a part in American history, why isn't it included into normal everyday history lessons? Oh that's right, it is.

I think stuff like Irish and Scottish heritage is much more prevalent on the east coast. We have a million Mexican and Asian holidays, observances, and festivals out in Cali, but you never see a St. Patty's Day parade. At least none that I'm aware of.

I do refer to my German and Welsh heritage, but I don't call myself German- or Welsh-American. Don't really see the point as it was about 8 generations ago that saw those lands.

NAD said:
I think stuff like Irish and Scottish heritage is much more prevalent on the east coast. We have a million Mexican and Asian holidays, observances, and festivals out in Cali, but you never see a St. Patty's Day parade. At least none that I'm aware of.
Have you seen or read Gangs of New York? That would explain a lot about the difference between the NE and the rest of the country. I guess there just aren't as many Irish over in CA or TX?
To be fair on the USA, and speaking as an anglo-Indian limey, most non-Americans don't realize just how big it is. They see it as just one big country when in fact it's made up of the NE quadrant, West Coast, Mid-West, deep South etc. Sometimes I see these regions as different countries under one flag, in the way I would see Great Britain made up of England, Wales, Scotland, & Northern Ireland.

That's not so far fetched is it? Each region is made up of different people, different backgrounds, sometimes even a different flag. Shit you can almost break down each US state as a different country when you think about it.

I do refer to my German and Welsh heritage, but I don't call myself German- or Welsh-American. Don't really see the point as it was about 8 generations ago that saw those lands.
You nazi leek. :loco:

NAD said:
I wonder how long it is going to take for American to become on ethnicity. Technically speaking, everyone from anywhere migrated (or had ancestors that did) from elsewhere at one point in time right?
By the way, this will never happen until every American lets go of their heritage and stands proud as an American. From where I sit, I am surrounded by millions of people who will refer to themselves as Irish, German, Scottish, Italian, Israeli, Chinese etc well before they settle for being 'plain old American'. People don't want to let go of those roots - that's part of the reason why they came here in the first place, to pay homage to their bloodlines, ancestary, and religions in complete freedom.

Northern California is like a whole different world compared to Southern, I couldn't imagine the culture shock I would experience by going somewhere like Mississippi. The only thing American's share as a whole is a general "fuck you" attitude.

JayKeeley said:
By the way, this will never happen until every American lets go of their heritage and stands proud as an American. From where I sit, I am surrounded by millions of people who will refer to themselves as Irish, German, Scottish, Italian, Israeli, Chinese etc well before they settle for being 'plain old American'. People don't want to let go of those roots - that's part of the reason why they came here in the first place, to pay homage to their bloodlines, ancestary, and religions in complete freedom.
Out here white people pretty much ignore their world heritage. Some Asians too, but they have their loud n' ugly car subculture to identify with anyhow. :D Everyone else is pretty content identifying with what they've come from, especially Mexican/Latino/Whatever. I dated some whore once that was super proud of being latina even though she was half-white and her Mexican side had been on this side of the border for over 3 generations. :err:

And I'm a Nazi Yank Leek thank you very much. :loco:

I knew this thread would be unable to stay on topic...and I give about a week before someone starts an argument on the GMD after misinterpreting your signature. :) I don't take pride in my ancestry because it's not something I had to work to achieve.

At my school Black History Month seems to be an excuse to make fun of white people and try and convince everyone "black is better."

IT'S MY FAVOURITE MONTH EVARR!!!!!!!!!!!1111111!!!1

:rolleyes:

When people ask me what race I am, I say "American", because.....that's what I am first and foremost. My ancestry goes back to Britain and Germany, but I've never seen either, and never met any kin from there, so as far as I'm concerned, that comes after American.

Whites in the South are mostly the same way. We identify more with the confederates than the old country. Remember, Texas didn't become part of the US until the 1830's or 1840's, and the Civil War was only a few decades later. That confederate pride has continued through the generations. It's not that the disdain for the north and the love of slavery followed the pride. Those two things are gone, except for the common bigot or redneck in the crowd.

Hispanics have tremedous pride down here as well, and rightfully so. They view Texas as part theirs, as they should. Many Mexican Texans fought with the Texians to gain independence from Mexico. However, it is commonly taught in schools that the battle for Texas was Anglo vs. Mexican, when in fact it was Anglo and Mexicans vs. Mexicans.

I like black metal. Ulver is good.

Ulver - Bergtatt is my favorite black metal album, although I suppose it's not pure black, but I hate genre games anyhow. :)

NAD said:
The only redeeming part of that thread is that is when haddsie still visited UM.com.
Nad, you sexy bastard, you know how to sweet-talk a girl, don't you? :p

Now, who wants to start a huge, meaningless debate??? :D