healing-hands.jpg

lolcat_what.jpg

Step1 - Peavey 5150 or 2 CH Dual Rec
Step2 - Solid V30 Cabinet
Step3 - SM 57
Step4 - Preamp/DAW
Step5 - Win @ Tone.

:lol:

OP to answer your question about getting the POD XT to sounds good, i will reinfornce by saying to do as everyone els has said. Turn off the amp modeling on the POD and then use impulses. Guitarhacks impulses are godly and was what i was using before I got the real deal.

Make sure the tone coming out of your guitar is good and that your playing is tight. Doesn;t matter if you have a multimillion dollar studio filled with pro amps, if the singal coming out of the guitar is shit, the reocrding will be shit.

always remember garabge in is garbage out and "i don't care about no stinking" recession, don't ever try to polish a turd, it will not end well.

Yeah it's pretty straight forward here.... he's using shit gear and expects amazing results. Welcome to the delusional preconceived ideas about "studio magic" :lol:

And, to the OP, if you are getting "(weak)" sounds using a single SM57 then you are doing it wrong. Period. Tons of engineers have used a single SM57 on a cabinet over the last couple of decades to get stellar guitar sounds. It's not the mic that is the problem ;)

what I should've said was that the 15 watt with the sm57 is shit because it is a great mic and I still vocal track with it. I think it is amazing actually.

what I should've said was that the 15 watt with the sm57 is shit because it is a great mic and I still vocal track with it. I think it is amazing actually.

Sorry, couldn't follow the posts that well. Is that a 15watt amp you're talking about?

How do I make my guitar tight.

Practice playing with a metronome 4hrs a day. It's easy to maintain 'live' accuracy but it's not that easy to maintain 'millisecond' accuracy. Don't keep on playing at the same tempo over and over. First, make sure your playing is super accurate at a ridiculously slow tempo. I always tend to mess up when I'm super slow. And I know plenty of people who suffer from the same thing. But one thing I've noticed in people who play slow with super-cool accuracy is: Their playing is God-like at whatever tempo they play at. They have it all embedded into their muscle memory. So yeh, afterwards go up and down and up and down. For example - 150bmp for 10 mins, jump to 160bpm for another 10mins and come back down and blah. Trust me, I know pretty old players who downright hate the metronome:p

Sure, it isn't a factor when you're doing one track. But when when we're talking about dual tracking or quad tracking it is very important as such 'millisecond' differences would convince us to think something's wrong with the source tone, whereas it's not:heh:

For the kind of music you are doing, don't go for anything other than Tortex plectrums of no more and no less than 1mm thickness. Keep a watch out for your picking angle. It helps when you're doing super fast runs with a 45degree pick angle, but when doing rhythm that is downright wrong.

I maintain a 90degrees angle. That is, perpendicular to the strings, even though it's a major pain in the ass.:ill:

Edit: I'm not saying you're a bad player or anything. Just giving you these hints just for the sake of it.

You don't necessarily have to use impulses either
All of Joey's mixes are with the line 6 cabs
plus this mix I made is with the line 6 cabs

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/767557/Ostrich Master.mp3

It just takes A LOT of tweaking

Yes sir.

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/1069633/test3.mp3

Line 6 Toneport UX2 (The old red one)

Gearbox

Reaper

C4/Little EQing

Squier Strat (Yep, LOL)

Bam. Good tone with Line 6 shit. (Ignore the mix not having bass, I cut the <60Hz and 12KHz>

here's a test of just guitar, and just the pod xt with no tweaking

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7619765

sounds like you don't have an impulse on that at all. The tone is muddy, from obvious reasons of having that much gain and not having some sort of OD pedal. And as predicted by many here, your playing isn't that tight, which hurts the clarity and articulation.

Still if you are going to use the Pod XT, get yourself some good impulses. You can't go wrong with Guitarhacks's impulses. Educate yourself on the Impulses sticky in the subforum Prodiction Tips as well as give a run down on the TS FAQ sticky as well.

You should really try the nick crow VST amp sims with some impulses. Nick does a great job at making killer almost realistic tube amp tone. I haven't gotten to play his new one yet, but i hear its killer. Use a real Overdrive pedal (aka tube screamers) and use the vst. Load an impulse up after the amp sim and upload something for us to hear. Should be a huge improvement.

Meh, I wouldn't expect a pickup swap to make much of a difference, especially with Line 6 stuff - in my pretty extensive experience with my old Podxt it's kind of a grand unifier of pickups, for better or for worse! :erk:

You can get the "best tone in the world" and it still sounds bad if your playing techniques are bad, how long have you been playing?

I have been playing for 3 1/2 years now. I want to add that I've only been playing mostly metal for 1 year. The first 2 years were playing songs from Silverstein, Hawthorne Heights, The Used, Armor for Sleep, Greeley Estates(first 3 cd's, not the newest one). So for the longest time I was used to strumming power chords in easy rhythm and solos that weren't that hard, usually in a slower tempo too (140-180).