Feedback being caused by drum reverb channel?

Mm1066

Mediocre metal maker
Dec 18, 2010
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hey, I've been mixing my bands EP for a little over a month now and recently I've noticed that after a while of the session being open, the drum reverb channel will start to produce a feedback ring, getting progressively louder until it's super loud. Also, when it's not doing this, I'll get a noticeable peak from about 10KHz upwards when the project is playing about mid way through the song.

I have a feeling that these two things are linked somehow.

I'm using Logic Pro 9 (but recently got Logic Pro X, unfortunately I can't work these projects in the new DAW because some of my essential plugins are 32bit and Pro X is 64bit exclusive)

I'm using Apple's "Matrix Reverb" for the reverb, if that's any use.

Any ideas?

Thanks

And what is the output of the reverb bus?
If the bus itself is sent to another bus, maybe the drumbus which is also sent to the reverb, then you have a feedback loop.
I hope you get what I mean... and if that's not the problem, I don't know...

And what is the output of the reverb bus?
If the bus itself is sent to another bus, maybe the drumbus which is also sent to the reverb, then you have a feedback loop.
I hope you get what I mean... and if that's not the problem, I don't know...

Nope, it's sent to Stereo Output. I really have no idea what's going on. None of the source tracks have inputs of which to get feedback from. I'm still going by the newer version of Logic messing with key components that Pro 9 uses.

Nope, it's sent to Stereo Output. I really have no idea what's going on. None of the source tracks have inputs of which to get feedback from. I'm still going by the newer version of Logic messing with key components that Pro 9 uses.

You don't happen to have the feedback knob maxed (or very high at least) in your reverb plug?

Sometimes I get these "feedbacks" too by having, as an example, two reverbs in a row. I should double-check my whole chain, bypass pretty much everything but the reverb and see if it's anything + the reverb that's causing the feedback, if that makes sense.

Also one thing you can try is to make a new reverb channel for drums. Assign the drums there with the reverb bus output to stereo out. Sometimes there can be something you haven't seen previously. Idk if this will solve your problem, but doesn't hurt to try.