Feedback for Local Advertising: HELP NEEDED!

I think adding the recent folk metal was a good idea. I know that's going to sell you some bonus one day-ers from a younger audience. However that's still not going to single handedly sell out that day since the younger kids may not want to shell out 60 bucks for tyr and turisas. I think a reunion or some sort of tribute next year - DIO - may help for some of your older demographic. But once again I'm no where near as exp. as you Glenn! Lol I think maybe somehow trying to hook and rope in a new generation of pp kids/people would be part of a whole good idea. What are these kids listening to now? How do we cross them over into the prog power scene? :kickass:I know were trying to bring at another car pool of people from FL who all really want to come since nothing like this exists Down here........YET.

If the festival does end within the 5 years, the fans will eventually start missing it then hopefully realize that stuff like this can't exist without their support. I mean it's sad to say but it may take that for past present and future pp attendees to see that support is needed.

Anywho, I'll be there Sunday!!!

Is there a solution to all this? Well, maybe. Let me throw this out there.

Have the forum members submit a list of 20 bands they would love to see(repeats included), then Glenn selects the 12 that have the most votes(if they fit in the budget) if not then fill the slots with those that really got the crowds attention over the years. Just a thought.

I love this idea. The problem I've noticed in trends however, is that when someone does something like this, everyone loves it but less than half participate in the final result. It'd be an incredible experience, but would it work?

I am trying to talk a few friends into going this year but they only like a few of the bands on the roster. We aren't into viking metal or thrash so those bands aren't the ones drawing me this year. I'm hoping that this isn't the direction that the festival is headed. If it weren't for Seventh Wonder I doubt that I would be making the trek this year. I'm probably a minority but I would rather see a lineup similar to last year over what we have this year. I know there is no way to please everyone and I don't envy what you have to go through Glenn! That said, when I go to a festival as great as this one I go for it all, not just one day. If I don't care for the band that's on stage there's always cool people to hang with :)

Lets also be honest. There are only a handful of 'progressive metal' bands that haven't been to this fest, that are still active, and that people care much about. There are a couple handfuls of power metal bands, but several of them are too expensive to matter. The biggest bands in the genres are not active enough to really get the buzz going on even the smaller ones.

The most attractive progmetal bands in terms of selling tickets, are those that don't sound anything like Dream Theater. Many of the ones that were attractive and sounded like Dream Theater (or Fates Warning) no longer exist. The fan base partly has left because of that.

There are very few cost effective headline capable bands.

I wouldn't exactly say there's only a handful of prog bands that haven't been to the fest, but what you're implying is something I've talked to people about through the years. The only tried and true prog metal bands that tour really at all here are Dream Theater and once in a great while, Fates Warning. I mean I suppose you can lump Symphony X in there, but to be honest I find that they are more lumped into the power metal category than prog even though they are prog no doubt. That's it, though. Beyond that, you have prog metal but more of the extreme type, i.e. Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, etc. I think that's one of the biggest problems in terms of the prog side of things. Many people that might even like prog, don't even know of most of these bands.

On the power metal side of things, I think there is much more awareness, but still there aren't that many that continue to tour in the states. I would think the ones that tour the most frequently would be Kamelot, Edguy, Epica and Sonata Arctica. I mean even the bigger (in terms of historical impact and such) bands such as Helloween and Gamma Ray hardly ever tour here. I think it was something like at least 4 years since Helloween toured here when they did the Hellish Rock tour. Hammerfall, while they did tour here already this year, hadn't toured the states in four years, and I believe I read an interview where they said they're debating even doing it again because the turnout wasn't the best.

My point? I just think the two majoring factors in terms of this fest not doing as well as it used to is awareness and economy. I don't even know to be honest if it's just simply because these are two niche metal markets or it's just that they never get any awareness. I know that can be taken to be the same thing, but a lot of metalheads I think would like some power metal but they really don't know much about it since a lot of the US mags are more aimed towards metalcore, death metal, thrash and black metal for the most part. It's too bad that US metal mags just never feature our types of bands or even have a little snippit about progpower. I think if more people knew about it, the fest would do better. I'm not blaming anyone, just saying without awareness, it's hard to build back up a fan base, so I applaud you guys that are trying to promote it. I wish I could, I just don't have the time and to be honest, I just don't know a lot of friends that are into metal. As sad as it sounds, it seems Blabbermouth (I know I'm going to get shit for that one but I don't care) is the most visited place where people go for metal news, that actually posts news about the fest.

Beyond that, the economy is tough. As of right now, my goal is to go to the fest, because usually for me there is no better concert the whole year than progpower. I have tickets for all the days but it could end up being I don't show up if I get a major financial blow or a new job that prevents me to come. Luckily, I don't necessarily have as many commitments as others, so I tend to save most of my extra money annually for the fest the last couple of years. So, those that do have more responsibilities and such, I would assume would make it very hard for them to be able to show in this economy. It's unfortunate but it's just a fact of the times.

Glenn has the toughest job imaginable.

I know a couple of people who are anxiously awaiting word on one-day sales; they're interested in seeing Tyr and Turisas.

After facing a tough April financially, my 'flow' improved last week so I was able to buy tickets for the Wednesday and Thursday night shows. :kickass:

There have been a lot of good suggestions here, but I'll add one more:

-- Don't put tickets on sale until a few months after the prior fest ends. That way there's a build-up in the excitement, you can generate more interest in the festival. Publicity is marked and achieved by discrete events: announcement of the roster, ticket onsale dates, etc. To take full advantage of the news cycle, it's best that these events have a run-up time.

In addition to the ideas already mentioned, I think a huge factor is simple band exposure. This kind of music doesn't really have tv or radio exposure on a regular basis that I'm aware of. The only reason I've heard of most of them at all is from listening to epicrockradio.com and the only reason I knew of that is Kamelot mentioning them on a forum posting of theirs, as they're routinely the number one requested band there month after month. That said, for a website that has worldwide listeners, they've yet to crack 100 listeners at once. And they're popular.

I had the great fortune to see Hammerfall a couple of months ago, but I was appalled to see how few people were there. Playing at a House of Blues, and my guesstimate for the turnout would be maybe 200 people. I did try to support the band the best I could by buying a cd and a t-shirt. Even with Joachim's voice hurting him, they put on a great show. If it had been me, I would have cancelled and rested my voice up. Most telling though, he asked the crowd how many of them were seeing Hammerfall for the first time. About half the audience raised their hands. He asked, "Where have you people been for the past 13 years?" I was thinking, "Sorry, guy. Never heard of you before now." And I think that sums it up in a nutshell.

Getting the music out there somewhere where people can become aware of it is going to be the difference. To me it's a joke that MTV Europe isn't shown here. I became interested in Rammstein from their single performance on the MTV Europe music awards some years ago. Again, even that one exposure was the difference. Before, I never heard of them.

There have been a lot of good suggestions here, but I'll add one more:

-- Don't put tickets on sale until a few months after the prior fest ends. That way there's a build-up in the excitement, you can generate more interest in the festival. Publicity is marked and achieved by discrete events: announcement of the roster, ticket onsale dates, etc. To take full advantage of the news cycle, it's best that these events have a run-up time.

Ehhh, I don't know about that. I think him selling tickets for next years during last year's fest was a brilliant idea. People get so pumped after the band announcement video that it cranks up the interest and gets people who are already in the moment, motivated to get tickets for next year. I think that's a good idea. It also allows more time for people to get tickets. There are now 12 months for people to get tickets, apposed to 6 months (I believe?). Just my two cents.

Ehhh, I don't know about that. I think him selling tickets for next years during last year's fest was a brilliant idea. People get so pumped after the band announcement video that it cranks up the interest and gets people who are already in the moment, motivated to get tickets for next year. I think that's a good idea. It also allows more time for people to get tickets. There are now 12 months for people to get tickets, apposed to 6 months (I believe?). Just my two cents.

I fully agree with you here.I couldn't make it last year,but I definitely would have purchased my tickets at that time if I had been there.

:headbang:Im bringing Scott and Shannon with me this year. They are the last members to play with Chuck Schuldiner in Death and Control Denied before Chuck died.
Hammerfall opened for these guys back in 98, maybe we can get them to talk this year, and come back and do a "Death" tribute or something for PP X11...that would DEFINITELY spark some interest....just a thought

I have nothing of value to add here in terms of advice or solution for the lack of ticket sales. I will say that I have zero intent on attending this year yet I have purchased 2 gold badges just to support the festival. I wish I could do the same to support the midweek show and showcase but with zero intent to go I feel as though I have done my part with the 2 tickets. Some may ask why I would buy 2 tickets if I don't plan on attending. Well, I had always wanted to go to PPUSA ever since I had become aware of the second one but was unable to attend due to life getting in the way. Life continued to get in the way for years and kept me from PPUSA for years but I always had that HOPE that one day I would make it. Well, I have been the last 3 years and have had a blast. In some odd way, PPUSA was there for me in hard times giving me something to possibly look forward to for many years and now I wanna just help support it if even in a minor way of buying a couple of tickets even though I don't plan on coming.

Glen, thanks for everything you do my friend and I hope that you find yourself booking PP XX and beyond!

I will be buying a ticket this year, but I just bought a house so I'm short on cash until about July.

I have my own theories as to why the fest hasn't been selling out quickly. Personally, I believe that the last two fests, given a decent economy, would have sold out rather quickly. the fest has seemed to experience a slight wane in interest since PP7, but I think that's illusory.

PP7, PP8, and PP9 occurred while the economy was still appearing to do okay. PP7 and PP9 experienced relatively sluggish ticket sales(by PP standards anyway), but PP8 sales were brisk and in line with PP3-PP6. I'd say that if you look at the makeup of the lineups between PP7-PP9, it's not hard to tell why given similar economic conditions, they experienced differing levels of interest. The big power bands at the top are what sell the festival, and PP7 and PP9 were notable for the lack of such bands near the top.

I've never attended a PP that didn't sell out, so maybe I'm a bellwether.:)

I have one friend most likely driving own with me, he's a union painter, and was out of work for almost 4 months.
I do think that the economy has a lot to do with the slower than normal ticket sales.

I talked with a guy named Frank at the Primal Fear show last night, who said he wants to make it Prog Power just once before he dies. I told him there are plenty of ways to save $'s coming down for the fest, and really got him interested in going. Don't know if he'll show up this year, but I hope to see him in the next year or 2.

I'm trying to have one of my wife's cousins to buy tickets for he and his two teenage sons. Don't know if they can attend both days Fri/Sat or not.

Glenn - Are you selling individual day tickets again, or just a Fri/Sat combo?

I will say that I have zero intent on attending this year yet I have purchased 2 gold badges just to support the festival. I wish I could do the same to support the midweek show and showcase but with zero intent to go I feel as though I have done my part with the 2 tickets.

Glen, thanks for everything you do my friend and I hope that you find yourself booking PP XX and beyond!

You, dude, totally rule. That's dedication. Not everyone can do that, of course, but I applaud your support of the festival regardless of your ability to attend. I've been committed to supporting the last couple well in advance of knowing whether I could actually go. Yet I will always make sure that I make good on my financial commitment, even if the worst happens and I can't actually attend. But I fully intend to do everything and anything to be there as long as this festival exists. Not pumping up myself, just want to give kudos to those who feel as I do. We shall overcome these hard times and hopefully keep this going for many years to come. :headbang:

You, dude, totally rule. That's dedication. Not everyone can do that, of course, but I applaud your support of the festival regardless of your ability to attend. I've been committed to supporting the last couple well in advance of knowing whether I could actually go. Yet I will always make sure that I make good on my financial commitment, even if the worst happens and I can't actually attend. But I fully intend to do everything and anything to be there as long as this festival exists. Not pumping up myself, just want to give kudos to those who feel as I do. We shall overcome these hard times and hopefully keep this going for many years to come. :headbang:

Thanks AMBR. Like you, I am not pumping myself up at all. Two tickets are a drop in the bucket I know. Its because of people like you that this festival continues and it will take people like you to keep it going. Big ups to all the sponsors that help keep the best festival on earth alive!

I have already purchased two main show tix and two showcase tix. I may or may not attend the Wednesday show. It is not a money issue or lack of interest in the performers, but I tend to simply get burnt out from so much live music.... and have no energy left in the tank for Sat night.

I certainly want PPUSA to continue. PPUSAXI will be the ninth Harumi and I have attended. Unfortunately, I think I know the real answer for your dilemma. I am far from an economist, nor do I know very much at all about managing/promoting a metal show, but the one variable in the equation you have very little control over is the economy. I say very little because in a small way, making this event happen is moving currency around, so it does help the economy. The one thing you do have control over is the band selection. All you can do is try to put on the best shows you can and wait for the economy to pick up and only then will you know if the PPUSA event is getting stagnant or it is simply a money issue.
One other suggestion is an immigration attourney. I realize that costs money, which you don't want to spend more of, but I really wonder how many attendees have been really turned away due to cancellations via Visa issues. I know Vanden Plas was a pretty big draw for many.

Bryant

I think that's true, assuming the cost isn't prohibitive. What happened last year probably did serious damage to ticket sales. I was a definite attendee last year until my favorite bands failed to get approved. Power Quest and Andre Matos were my two favorite bands in the lineup.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was an immigration attorney in the house willing to work for a gold badge or something?

While I appreciate the festival getting "bigger," Glenn have you looked at the other side and considered instead of 12 bands, shrinking down do 8 or so? Honestly, I'd pay the same ticket price (or the same sponsor rate) for 8 bands as I would 12. I usually only actually WATCH 6-8 bands anyway. Four "bigger" names each night. Have room for longer sets or special sets. You could even have a couple of solid regional/local bands open as I'm sure most of them (I know we would) would play for free and could MAYBE add a few more ticket sales. Just a thought.

THIS.

is exactly my thinking. 6 or 7 bands each night, plus another several bands the night before and a few more the night before that is getting to be a bit much. I would say to trim it back down to what it was in the beginning: 5 great acts each on Fri and Sat, with a pre-show party the night before for those who want to come in a day early. The pre-show party could include a returning headliner with support from several unsigned or newly signed bands like you had in the past.

Just my two cents along with Chris' two cents. ...Hey! that's 4 cents. :cool:

Here is my idea if; it gets too bad, instead of just stopping the fest. Just down size it for a few years. Find a cheaper venue. Use cheaper bands, maybe 3-4 smaller major label bands, and maybe 3-4 good unsigned bands. Do this for a year or 2 to build the bank up, then take it back to the big time.

And have you ever considered doing another fest to help pay for PPUSA. Maybe a SouthEast Powerfest or something. You could have it somewhere real cheap like in field. get 10-20 Localish bands to come play. The kind of bands that would do it more for the exposure than for the cash, and maybe one headliner. use all the money from it to fund PPUSA.