Fellow Metalheads, does this ever happen to you???

dead6skin6mask6 said:
in america, we have a thing called Brittney Spears and Good Charlotte, fans of the aforementioned groups tend to think all metal is noise, therefore try suffocating us in bullshit stories about how we are evil
Haha. I think Britney Spears is more evil than a metalhead ever can be. Her(?) music makes me wanna kill a school class...almost.

It used to happen more when I had long hair. People here at my office dont have a clue.

I still run into shems from high school who ask me something like "did you see Metallica this summer" I always laugh. These are the same people who used to pronounce it metal licka back in 1984, and make fun of it by saying dumb shit like "kill your mother!!" now they listen to them hahahaha!

One guy I ran into a couple weeks ago asked me if I still listened to stuff like Slayer. I replied by opening my jacket and showing him my new tour shirt. "yep, I just saw my 19th Slayer show in New York last weekend" I told him. His jaw dropped and he said "awesome!"

Ive gotten alot of crap from people(including my family) because I listen to Metal.My Dad says my music is just yelling and screaming.And my sister thinks that Death Metal is Satanic music.Back in high school when I wore Metal Tshirts the shitheads called me burnout,dirtbag,and loser.I figured out a long time ago that people who dont like Metal dont understand it.Their ignorance towards it is the reason why they poke fun at it.

These must be those retards at your school? Maybe you could quiet them up by teaching them a thing or too. Maybe you could wear a special tee-shirt with some writing on it that says your piece of mind...???????

I do know how you feel though. Every time my husband goes through the airport, they check him for explosives and this is no lie. They check him from head to toe. Makes me sick that this type of thing happens to long haired people. Like they are going to try to rule the world or something? lmfao! Little do they know. I know this is off of your subject, but I can relate to the things that you write about.

Never happened to me. Im tall and big so people were always affraid of me. I was always wearing Deicide shirts and my AGONY BOOT collage shirt :cool: so people did not talk to me about music of any kind, much less criticize me for the kind I listen to. By the way that was in JR High.

pest666 said:
actually, phearthejewfro brings up a good point.... having been through all that shit (and generally annoyed to no end), this is your opportunity to convert the masses.

OBVIOUSLY they're interested, they want to learn... but its really an exercise in patience. It used to drive me absolutely fucking crazy, the shit you're talking about, but you have to remember that someone else got exposed us at some point until we got into it and we're able to make good choices. Explain why certain records/bands are bad, and maybe burn them some CDs if they really seem interested.

We all started somewhere as babybangers (and some o you still are..... how's the guitar playing going pajama ninja?). People can't learn if we don't teach them.

Right on!

People always ask me if im into bands like disturbed and *shudder* static-x when they see me wearing a testament shirt or find out that I listen to metal. It doesnt bother me one bit. Good metal (and for the most part I believe, a majority of good music...) has dissappeared from the mainstream hard rock culture, something I came accept quite a while ago. CDs are fairly expensive; when I was in middle school and highschool my job couldnt subsidize cost of living AND buy me many cds at the same time. Luckly I was able to trade bootlegs and demo tapes. That trend seems to have pretty much died out, and now that downloading music is getting more and more difficult, just where are kids (and adults not in the know) supposed to be exposed to this music??

So next time someone asks you if you like GodSmack or LinkenPark when they see your tour shirt, dont get all elitest and high and mighty about your superior musical tatest. Instead, give them a burned copy of your favorite cd (Ive found that introducing people to lighter more melodic songs like Return to Serenity gets them interested a whole lot faster than a song like Dog Faced Gods.). If they play an instrument, give them some songs with virtuoso solos in them. If they are a singer, try giving them some DIO or DIO era black sabbath (ronnie has an amazing vocal range). I keep a couple cds of burned songs around just incase.

If after explaining to them they still choose to remain ignorant, THEN you can resort to the elitest mentality.

BTW- When I moved from the Bay Area to So Cal for school, none of my new friends listend to metal. I used to have to go to shows by myself cause noone I knew wanted to go. I have since converted many of my Disturbed listening friends to 'The Dark Side' and have gone with quite a few to recent shows. Just this saturday I brought one of them to the Universal Amphitheatre for the slayer show. She was blown away!!!

Atropos said:
So next time someone asks you if you like GodSmack or LinkenPark when they see your tour shirt, dont get all elitest and high and mighty about your superior musical tatest. Instead, give them a burned copy of your favorite cd (Ive found that introducing people to lighter more melodic songs like Return to Serenity gets them interested a whole lot faster than a song like Dog Faced Gods.). If they play an instrument, give them some songs with virtuoso solos in them. If they are a singer, try giving them some DIO or DIO era black sabbath (ronnie has an amazing vocal range). I keep a couple cds of burned songs around just incase.

If after explaining to them they still choose to remain ignorant, THEN you can resort to the elitest mentality.

BTW- When I moved from the Bay Area to So Cal for school, none of my new friends listend to metal. I used to have to go to shows by myself cause noone I knew wanted to go. I have since converted many of my Disturbed listening friends to 'The Dark Side' and have gone with quite a few to recent shows. Just this saturday I brought one of them to the Universal Amphitheatre for the slayer show. She was blown away!!!
exactly - read the thread in the morning and had to leave but wanted to write something like this - came back and saw someone was faster :)

no need to get mad at the people when they are trying to find a common path with you using Godsmack :) comments but they just don't have any idea that they are moving the wrong direction. Just show them your way! There is no chance one can resist Testament Cd mix with ballads ... then u give them eerie, sins of omission etc... to finish with sewn shut eyes - and another soul is saved - tried that many times and it worked!

and personally my attitude is like this - i just do what i want and don't care ...of corz there are some lines that u shouldn't pass when u are on professional terms - i am a lawyer - i run legal office and i cannot meet a client (especially a new one:)) wearing my Slayer 1990 tour tshirt that lost it's sleeves like 7 years ago :) ...but on the other hand ... today a had a seminary - 150 people - all wearing ties and suits ...and there was me - in my Iron Maiden Aces High T-shirt:cool::)

50 Ways to Annoy a Metalhead

1. Tell them every metal band worships the devil.

2. Ask if all black metal bands are trying to copy KISS or just most of them.

3. Hide their joint under their library card.

4. Ask if they know of any other cool bands like Slipknot.

5. If they're listening to metal, tell them it sounds like some mainstream band. Doesn't matter who.

6. Say it's all a ripoff of Iron Butterfly anyway.

7. Ask if they've given their souls to Jesus yet.

8. Vaguely imply that you're gay and would like their company for the evening.

9. Record over their Cannibal Corpse albums with other Cannibal Corpse albums and see if they ever notice the difference.

10. Refuse to accept their fake I.D.

11. Ask how much Dio got paid for his role as Stuart Little.

12. Use the phrase "cookie monster vocals" and act like it's the funniest, most original thing you've ever come up with.

13. If they're listening to metal, tell them "These guys don't have talent. Now (insert any mainstream band here), those guys have talent!"

14. Say "What is vinyl?"

15. Point out how homosexual Manowar is. If they agree, tell them the only thing more homosexual is Black Sabbath with Dio.

16. Tell them it all sounds the same.

17. Admit that Cliff Burton was a dirty hippy who had already peaked musically.

18. If they say they love 80s metal, ask them what ever happened to Poison.

19. Tell them you like underground music too, like (insert the newest overhyped fashionable loud-ish band from the radio)

20. Point out that Tarja from Nightwish can't sing.

21. Insist that Emperor videos would be better if they used a dance troupe.

22. Ask if Mayhem is Marilyn Manson's band.

23. Divert their CD shipments to the local Jewish community center.

24. Write "God Loves You" on their Venom backpatch.

25. Point out that just about every genre of music has an underground with bands who have integrity, so metal really isn't that unique.

26. Post under their nickname on a power metal board and say Ray Alder shits all over John Arch.

27. Take out the Iron Maiden disc and put in 50 Cent.

28. Give them a spiky pop-punk haircut while they sleep.

29. Pronounce "Celtic Frost" correctly.

30. If they're over 25, say that people can still rock even if they have an unplanned child or two and drive a grocery getter. Then point and laugh.

31. Tell them you're not hiring and to try the other Cinnabon down the street.

32. Sit quietly and applaud politely at a metal show.

33. Make them be sober for five whole seconds.

34. Ask if Randy Rhoads was on the same flight as John Denver.

35. Tell them Korn brought metal back to life in the '90s.

36. Turn the bass way up on their stereo.

37. Laugh at Slayer for stealing their name from the Buffy show.

38. Call Doro fat.

39. Call them on their horrible grammar and/or spelling

40. Remind them that metal is partially derived from the blues. Then accuse them of being wiggers.

41. Use the phrase "balls in a vice" at least three times when talking about classic metal and/or power metal vocalists.

42. If it's a guy with long hair, address him as if he were female. Don't correct yourself about it.

43. Be impressed with how much RoadRunner Records has improved over the past ten years.

44. Say you love Metallica's debut, The Black Album.

45. Notice that Lemmy hasn't moved his left hand in 30 years of playing bass.

46. Refer to metal as "that kill-your-mother rape-your-dog stuff."

47. Ask them if their favorite band is so good, how come nobody has ever heard of them.

48. Pine for the good old days when "Pour Some Sugar On Me" was a big hit.

49. Tell them you used to be a metalhead, but grew out of it when you started listening to more intellectual stuff like (insert any band at all here)

50. Post a list of Ways To Annoy Metal Fans knowing full well that so many of them internalize everything and can't take a joke.

soulflypl said:
exactly - read the thread in the morning and had to leave but wanted to write something like this - came back and saw someone was faster :)

no need to get mad at the people when they are trying to find a common path with you using Godsmack :) comments but they just don't have any idea that they are moving the wrong direction. Just show them your way! There is no chance one can resist Testament Cd mix with ballads ... then u give them eerie, sins of omission etc... to finish with sewn shut eyes - and another soul is saved - tried that many times and it worked!
Trust me...I've tried this...with everyone who is always approaching me about music. It hasn't worked AT ALL. I burn them something that I think is relatively mellow (by metal standards) Like this one guy (who's actually pretty cool) who likes Maiden, I burned him Iced Earth's "Something Wicked" because I figured he would probably like some newer power metal. That was about 3 months ago and he still hasn't listened to it. Then there's another guy who wanted me to burn him some Testament (Mr Godsmack) because he thought he used to listen to them in High school. So I burned him PWYP. He hasn't gotten off of his ass and listened to it either..and that's been about two months! The rest of the people ARE jackasses about my music...so of course I'm going to be a bit defensive about it and resent them snickering about it. It's irritating and I wish they'd get off it sometimes...it has nothing to do with being an elitist.

The hard thing for me is to do the polite nod, and move along when encountering someone who thinks that we like the same kind of music.

I try to not judge.....but damn. It's hard not to sometimes. Inside I am thinking: "You call that metal?!" Outside I politely say: "That's cool. Glad you found a band you like."

Being polite is the best approach though.

One time I brought in Testament tfor the teachers to play on the radio in there, and one of my friends says "Testament sucks, God smack is so much better!" And I say, "No way man, godsmack sucks balls" and we got into this huge argument. I told him that I hate godsmakc because they aren't fast, and he says, "But godsmack is fast!" :loco: OMG! And then, on the bus for some retarded fieldtrip, one of my other friends asks me if I want ot listen to what he was listening to. I sayd ok and I put on his head phones. It was godsmack, and it was just the same fucking chord or note over and over agin. I just burst out laughing! I then told him that I don't like Godsmack because they put me to sleep and then contunued listening to my metal church cd. A few minutes later, he was fast asleep. :D

See, now Godsmack is great, because you just don't know how many insomniacs it has put to sleep.

Holy crap!! Mindinsane has certainly touched a nerve with her post! I'm over 30 so all that you guys have been talking about I've lived with and made my peace with it long ago. Metal just isn't everybody's cup of tea and it never was! Some point to the 80's when metal "ruled", well I live through the 80's and the only thing that was popular at the time were so called hair-metal bands who were mis-categorized as metal to begin with! True metal bands like Maiden or Priest were rarely heard on mainstream radio.
Now history repeats itself with nu-metal trash being called metal when we all know it's not. True metal is for those who support it and seek it out, not for those whose tastes are dictated by radio or (vomit) MTV.
As for taking crap at work, well yeah I get funny looks and phrases like "you like that stuff?" or "those bands worship the devil", etc... But I wear my metal fanhood proudly and it makes me feel special that my favorite bands are making music because they believe in it and not to be on anybody's most popular list. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Horns Up!!

The whole "other" culture besides metal heads is a funny ass joke when they try to fit in. True we were once "lil headbangers" but I bet we never tried to like a certain band to fit in. I take it we all love metal and can appreciate the great bands out there and can quickly point out shitty bands. Some people just cannot do that. Nu Metal is not metal...just some kids dressed in black with tattoos (nothing wrong with em..just a trend now) and hopping around ......who the fuck hops around at a concert? I love the expressions of people who cannot understand my music...I ignore the ignorant....TRY that is. I lived in Salem Oregon back in 1995 one year after my graduation and I worked for this picture place that did school pics and all kinds of other shit....I just cut my hair (was long as fuck too) and I would here all kinds of jokes people would tell me about other metal heads that worked there...they got distant after they saw I was hinging out with them during lunch. The ones that suck more than anything at all are WIGGERS..fuckthem and there wanna be black attitudes. Now that is total sell out! Nothing more fun then pulling up to your local wigga in his car that would barely clear a speed bump and roll down your window, give em the finger and blast Napalm Death....I love life! :headbang:

yeah i know how you guys feel too. i can't even count how many times i have been followed through a store just because i wear leather, chains, and a metal t-shirt... people judge us just becaue of what we are wearing. its only a band shirt...i dont worship satan, i am actually saved...i dont steal stuff, i work just like you guys and buy what i want to. i cant help but feel superior to those people who come up to me and say they love metal and start throwing out band names like godsmack, korn, lincoln park, and disturbed. in the back of my mind i am thinking "you poor thing..." i always try to help people out by telling them about good metal...but you know you can only do so much. if a person (or society) doesnt accept something it is really hard to understand it. i'd say that real metal heads in america get it pretty bad from the mainstream world...we get joked and told that we dont know what is "cool"...it only makes me laugh and say, thank God I am not them and i have a mind to think for myself, think outside of the box of what society tells us to accept and not to accept... I can always say Metal Rules, and know that there are people out there who will always understand me:)