Females in Metal Book

Unfortunately I'm going to have to anyway, just to illustrate that I shouldn't even have to defend something I say.
You expect to be able to paint a musician performing at this festival as the wrong side of being a female in a metal band, and then not have to defend that claim at all?

I have nothing against you, your keyboard player, or your band, but you've done nothing to explain how your keyboardist is doing things right or 'normally' where Simone isn't.

If you just don't like Simone/Epica, then come out and say it, don't paint it as some crusade to protect the sanctity of women in metal.

I think it'll be pretty hard to find male band members who 'prostitute' their image for sex appeal to a predominately male style of music......

Oh God.. you never saw my old band, but uh... lol

The way things are now with most of the "female metal" stuff sucks. If everyone else gets to swoon over it, I should have equal rights to puke over it...don't like it, tough. And that's the last I'll post on it because this is absurd. Go usaprogmusic!

I actually kind of agree with you. It's nice to know that my band chose me based on my voice and not on my butt. That being said, I was discussing the "cute girl in a metal band" phenomenon a while back, and it's always been kinda weird to me that so many girls in metal like to wear cute party dresses or pretty skirts or sparkly shit when the guys are all wearing black greasy t-shirts and torn jeans.

it's always been kinda weird to me that so many girls in metal like to wear cute party dresses or pretty skirts or sparkly shit when the guys are all wearing black greasy t-shirts and torn jeans.

I say something like that and I'm attacked by all those Disney metal geeks. Good to hear it from a woman.

well ok she was kind of a poser but she did have a sword.:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
The entire glam/aor/Risecore scene.

I can't remember what band this was, but I recall there being a famous metalcore band that put out an ad for a bass player that required a buff physique, tattoos, and good face.. while completely forgetting to add requirements in terms of bass playing abilities. :lol:

I think it's easier to pick on women who sexualize themselves because there are more men in the scene, but plenty of men do it, too. I once worked with a guy who stripped off his shirt every single night and wore REALLY REALLY tight (women's) leather pants. It takes all kinds.

I can't remember what band this was, but I recall there being a famous metalcore band that put out an ad for a bass player that required a buff physique, tattoos, and good face.. while completely forgetting to add requirements in terms of bass playing abilities. [\QUOTE]

That would be Five Finger Death Punch! :lol:

I can't remember what band this was, but I recall there being a famous metalcore band that put out an ad for a bass player that required a buff physique, tattoos, and good face.. while completely forgetting to add requirements in terms of bass playing abilities. :lol:

I think it's easier to pick on women who sexualize themselves because there are more men in the scene, but plenty of men do it, too. I once worked with a guy who stripped off his shirt every single night and wore REALLY REALLY tight (women's) leather pants. It takes all kinds.

I'd say that's a bad example, because FFDP doesn't try to look good for women or anything. They just try to look rough and manly moreso for the fratboy kids that listen to them. Of course, that bass player application was lulzy as hell regardless.

A better example is Bring Me The Horizon. Totally a band that got where it is to day by looking good for the ladies (case and point: Oli's clothing company).

I'd say that's a bad example, because FFDP doesn't try to look good for women or anything. They just try to look rough and manly moreso for the fratboy kids that listen to them.

Which is funny, because you'd think that (straight) men wouldn't care what other men look like.. but they do. They DO!

The first four women that will be represented in my book have been revealed! Some of our own ProgPower USA lovely ladies! (and MANY more to come! I will reveal a few ladies every couple weeks.)

http://progpowergrrl.com/?p=221

If you are interested in being interviewed for the book, please contact me at usaprogmusic@gmail.com (artists, managers, promoters, publicists, fans, merchandisers, photographers, journalists, etc....any WOMAN who works in the hard rock/metal genre!)

Check it out:

Tarja Turunen - Nightwish, Tarja
Amanda Somerville - Kiske/Sommerville, Avantasia, Aina, Trillium
Anette Olzon - Nightwish

The first four women that will be represented in my book have been revealed! Some of our own ProgPower USA lovely ladies! (and MANY more to come! I will reveal a few ladies every couple weeks.)

http://progpowergrrl.com/?p=221

If you are interested in being interviewed for the book, please contact me at usaprogmusic@gmail.com (artists, managers, promoters, publicists, fans, merchandisers, photographers, journalists, etc....any WOMAN who works in the hard rock/metal genre!)

I'll go repost this on fem_metalheads at Livejournal, and in my own personal journal.

Edit: e-mailing you!

Thank for writing this book, and a big thank you for including me! Look for more interviews coming soon, and I'll be back in the studio after the baby gets here! :kickass:

I just want to say this:

I too have my own opinions on the difference between a chick who is a heavy metal singer vs a chick who sings for a heavy metal band. There IS a difference.

Furthermore, the corset/runny makeup look is played out, no question. However, it serves a purpose. If your music is all about the drama and sorrow of being delicate and graceful and romantic or tragic or something like that, it's kinda the look you want. No one is going to believe a chick in a bullet belt, loincloth and leather boots wielding a sword while singing a piano ballad about the sorrows of the trees, or whatever.

You can't knock a band for exploiting their sex appeal to sell records or gain fans; just because the person fronting the band is a woman doesn't mean that they're doing something wrong by selling their sexuality. Come on, guys do it too. I bought posters of bands that I couldn't have cared less about as a teen because the singer or the guitarist was HOT.
There are a number of people who I have personally met who don't know a single EPICA song, but they will tell you all day long about how amazing Simone Simons is. So, there ya go.
Guys wear smeared eyeliner and tight clothing to get metalheads with boobs to buy their records and hang out with them after the show; but no one complains about that (I know I don't...ehhhhehehehehe).

You can't compare a chick in a corset to a beer ad; I don't think it's the same kind of sexuality being marketed. There is a huge cross-section of metal dudes who like the idea of brandishing weapons and lighting fires and slaying dragons, so why wouldn't they be turned on by a mopey, sweetly sorrowful chick with a cincher and sleeves that drag on the ground? It all goes back to that medieval appeal.
Likewise, you won't see Maid Marion undulating provocatively on a pole in a rock video, nor will you see a chick in Reeboks and an Iron Maiden tee shirt on anyone's calendar.

I personally deck myself out from head to toe when I perform or when I'm in that setting; I like leather, latex, high heel boots, corsets, badass belts, and tops that make my boobs look amazing. I'll still kick your ass. Nothing wrong with being a sexy metalhead.

Point A: Chick singer in a metal band does not equal chick metal singer. Doesn't mean your band isn't a metal band. Just means your singer isn't a metal singer.

Point B: Your music defines your look defines your music. Nothing wrong with that. Played out? Maybe. So what.

Point C: Chicks using their hotness to their advantage in order to gain fans or sell records is perfectly acceptable.

No one is going to believe a chick in a bullet belt, loincloth and leather boots wielding a sword while singing a piano ballad about the sorrows of the trees, or whatever.

In my defense, that song was about HAPPY LITTLE TREES, and it wound up being about BATTLE.

GAWD.

(Seriously, your description was painfully accurate..>_>)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Of-Wood-and-Steel/dp/B004T9XLR2"]Of Wood and Steel...?[/ame]

Nina, I've seen you perform live. I would SO not buy you singing a piano ballad about trees. I would, however, believe you screaming about how you'll rip out the nearest idiot's throat and shit down the gaping hole. And then I would curl into the fetal position and cry.

Nina may be tiny, but she can still kick your ass!

;)