Fenriz - Historical Documentation

Satyricon is moron fodder.

You're right that "thrash metal" isn't a genre. THrash is a genre and speed metal is a genre, but "thrash metal" is a media creation.

noisefan said:
The interview seems pretty typical of most Black Metal folk - very righteous without being too self-righteos. Still, some interesting info.

Any suggestions of Old-School Black Metal bands that aren't on this compilation? And which albums? Mainly, I'm interested in non-melodic non-crossover non-commerical bands. You know, "true."

Yes, there are plenty of essentiel black metal pioneers that aren't on there. From what I can remember just now:
Sabbat (jap), Von, Goatlord, Vulcano, Beherit, Death SS, Masters Hammer, Root, Mortuary Drape, Morbid etc..

I can't be bothered to write down all album titles right now. But as a general rule, go for the ealiest recording (this rule applies to all kinds of metal!) or check up on each band to avoid buying stuff like later Masters Hammer og Beherit with thorough style-changes.

Other than that he he's got a lot of good bands on there, just don't know why he put on modern sub-standard stuff like Nattefrost etc. that gets too much promotion now anyways.

infoterror said:
Satyricon is moron fodder.

The early stuff wasn't that bad. Sure, it isn't Emperor or Enslaved but it is better than Dimmu (after Stormblast). The earlier stuff is also a lot better than the pop music they produce now.

bones said:
Other than that he he's got a lot of good bands on there, just don't know why he put on modern sub-standard stuff like Nattefrost etc. that gets too much promotion now anyways.

I agree. Too much humour and not enough serious music; Immortal were fortunate enough to master serious music that their hilarious costumes are light comic relief, as opposed to parody.

darkthrone is the best black metal ever. FACT!
dont pull that enslaved/immortal/xasthur/carpathian forest/1349/akercocke/arcturus/blut aus nord/children of bodom/cradle of filth/dark funeral/destroyer 666/dimmu borgir/dissection/NU-emperor/finntroll/goatwhore/god dethroned/judas iscariot/marduk/naglfar/old man's child/rotting christ/satyricon/ulver/zyklon b bullshit on me cause those bands suck donkey nuts.

WTF Finntroll own you're impure soul, damnit.

great interview. Fenriz is hilarious, although I disagree with some of the things he says.

Ps. thrash metal is definatly a genre. Speed metal is more like sped up heavy metal, Judas priests painkiller is an example. I don't know if that was the case back in the early days, because from what I heard, the media mistakenly called this metal thrash and thrash was really like a punk genre, but the name stuck. I think the general consensus is that thrash metal is the name of the genre these days.

An awesome interview, glad, I signed up at UM :)

I think the best question that was there was "Isnt your name enough to attract enough attention to it more than the music within?"