FG-X alternatives

Heabow

More cowbell!
Aug 24, 2011
France
I'm tired to get issues with FG-X (and it takes shit load of CPU) so I'm in search for a good mastering plugin. I want mainly a good limiter actually, nothing fancy but great. I'd rather to not spend billions tho. Ozone is pretty well known for being great so before buy anything, I ask you dear sneapers for advices ;)

Cheers
G

Try the free version of the Massey 2007 it honestly still holds up, the main downside to massey demos is they dont recall settings but when only used in mastering or 2 bus its pretty easy to take note of the settings if recall is needed. Cheers.

Fabfilter Pro L looks interesting! Seems it is very complete. Will try it for sure.

Thanks guys.

Fabfilter Pro-L here, own Ozone as well.
I use Ozone for everything but a mastering limiter, not because it is bad, because I never tried it.
Stopped using FG-X long time ago, but I still like the button that keeps the volume the same and shows you the difference without boosting the volume.

Check out FabFilter Pro-L or AOM Invisible Limiter. IK also just came out with their Stealth Limiter as part of the Custom Shop and so far I've been pretty happy with. Pretty clean like the AOM with not as much midrange distortion when pushed hard. Any of those 3 paired with something like KClip and you should be golden on loudness.

but I still like the button that keeps the volume the same and shows you the difference without boosting the volume.

Seems like Pro L has such a function (hold Shift when pushing the output level I believe)
I love the attack/release tweaks, it can be really useful in some cases..

I love the Fabfilter Pro-L and it will work on anything and be very clean.

However, I recently updated to the Kuassa Kratos Maximizer 2 and I have been using that over Pro-L just as a way of testing it out. So far I am quite impressed by it and I think I will be using it instead of Pro-L from now on, not necessarily because it is better, but because I am reaching similar results and I like the meters a little more haha.

My opinion: If price doesn't matter definitely go with Pro-L, but if you want to save some money for other things get the Kratos Maximizer 2. Of course you should test it all first.

I'll throw in another vote for the Pro-L. It is damn good. I, too, was having problems with FG-X for a long time. I made the switch to Pro-L and never looked back. Also, there is a new IK Multimedia limiter that just came out. I haven't tried it yet, but looks pretty promising, and it has that really great unity gain feature that the FG-X has.

KClip looks pretty good indeed but since I did not switch to PT11 yet, I have doubts that it is fully compatible and stable with shitty PT10. Plus ProL looks more comfortable to me.

I already have T-Racks limiter but I find it horrible actually in a mastering scenario :D

Edit - I must admit that I'm quite surprised that Ozone is not more recommanded here!

KClip looks pretty good indeed but since I did not switch to PT11 yet, I have doubts that it is fully compatible and stable with shitty PT10. Plus ProL looks more comfortable to me.

I already have T-Racks limiter but I find it horrible actually in a mastering scenario :D

Edit - I must admit that I'm quite surprised that Ozone is not more recommanded here!

KClip should be fine in PT10, it's been tested extensively in that DAW. Try the demo if you're not feeling confident about it - I know PT10 can be unstable on some setups in general.

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

dafuk! Seems I am always using old shit that no one uses nowadays but I still use voxengo elephant and I like it a lot.

To be honest after using T-racks clipper or the Ozone limiter for a while I've actually moved back to using FGX recently. Doesn't seem that CPU heavy to me (though I'm using a quad core mac mini) and the level compensation button is great for checking at what point things start distorting.