Fiction [New Album Spoilers Highly Likely. Read At Own Risk]

IntoPhagist

FloriiiiiiiooooooOOO!
Sep 26, 2005
New York City and Around
So you should all know this already, new album is entitled "Fiction and theres a new song on century media's site and it is fucking sweet! sounds like it'll be better then character, more of a damage done sound. :headbang:

EDITED BY THE UNPREDICTABLE CURRENTS OF TIME:

"Fiction" mp3, tracklisting & release dates - Feb 1, 2007

The new album is called "Fiction" and contains the following numbers:

1. Nothing To No One
2. The Lesser Faith
3. Terminus (Where Death Is Most Alive)
4. Blind At Heart
5. Icipher
6. Inside The Particle Storm
7. Empty Me
8. Misery´s Crown
9. Focus Shift
10. The Mundane And The Magic

Japan bonus track: A closer end
Australia bonus track: Winter triangle

Listen to "Focus shift" on our MySpace page by clicking here.
Alternatively, listen to it at www.centurymedia.com

The limited edition of the album will include a bonus DVD with live songs, behind the scene footage, last album’s “The New Build” promo video and the brand-new “Focus Shift” clip. In addition, the disc will feature an extended booklet layout.

Currently known release dates for "Fiction":

North America: Tuesday, April 17, 2007
Sweden: Wednesday, April 18, 2007
Germany / Austria / Switzerland / Benelux / Italy: April 20, 2007.
UK / France / Spain / Denmark / Norway / Rest of Europe: Monday, April 23, 2007.
Finland / Hungary: Wednesday, April 25, 2007.

Perfect, this is exactly what I was going to do.

Discuss here the new song, the album title, track list and your expectations.

Remember: NO LINKS to copyrighted material. NO LINKS OR INFORMATION to leaks. NO MENTION of pirated demos or scene releases, not even for the noblest of purposes (i.e., getting laid) until release date. Discuss whatever you hear, no matter how, but if I see ANY REFERENCE to the source your post will be gone.

And: don't start other threads about this subject in general. I'll merge them. Don't complain.

Rahv, do you have to be such a buzzkill?

Maybe we conspiracy theorists will get a break and they'll have a typo in the booklet...

To be serious, though, I kind of see your point about projector. It was a very clean, clear album, regardless of whether there were growls or not. In that regard, I definitely see the similarity. Although, you may also be refering to how Projector was released, where Therein was chosen as the promo song. In that case, I'll be very interested to see what the rest of the album sounds like.

~kov. (Didn't actually hear 'inignificunt'. And copy/pasting this because you locked the other thread right as I hit 'Post Reply'.)

To be serious, though, I kind of see your point about projector. It was a very clean, clear album, regardless of whether there were growls or not. In that regard, I definitely see the similarity. Although, you may also be refering to how Projector was released, where Therein was chosen as the promo song. In that case, I'll be very interested to see what the rest of the album sounds like.

Do you mind explaining ? Because i understand neither of both posts...

Do you mind explaining ? Because i understand neither of both posts...

I was pointing out that "Projector" and "Focus shift" have a lot in common, conceptually. And the fact that the growls sound particularly clear in the new song likens the two even more.

As for the buzzkill, I'm just saying this forum has rules against requests/information on copyrighted material. Considering the growing popularity of both DT and filesharing, I'm sure this is not the last time I'll have to say this.

I dont like Fiction as album title. perhaps there is some kind of (science-fiction/web2.0)concept and it makes sense, but fiction isnt very unique.
blind at heart would be better. but we know DT like short album titles and soundtracks to your escape.
Inside the particle storm is a great song title, nearly the best since "3rd person plural"

Fiction" track listing:

01. Nothing To No One
02. The Lesser Faith
03. Terminus (Where Death Is Most Alive)
04. Blind At Heart
05. Icipher
06. Inside The Particle Storm
07. Empty Me
08. Misery´s Crown
09. Focus Shift
10. The Mundane And The Magic
11. A Closer End (Japan bonus track)
12. Winter Triangle (instrumental) (Australia bonus track)

two words:

TEH KEYBOARDS!

love 'em.

i was mildly disinterested in 'character' after rahvin treated me to a pre-release (authorized) listen. i got it nonetheless, but i never was a big fan.

i enjoyed 'damage done' more, but it didn't touch me.

on the other hand, if 'fiction' (dig the title) is in line with this one song, i can imagine a sound that is reminiscent of 'haven' and this pleases me to no end.

the only small qualm i have: it doesn't sound new. and yes, i'm contradicting myself, i just said that i didn't really like the stuff that truly sounded new.

edit: while i have reason to believe that mikael is saying "i think that i have lost my language", it's really entertaining to assume that he says "i think that i have lost my luggage". coupled with "i think that i have lost my way", it gives this hilarious image of a swede stranded in a south american airport.

I don't like the title, and the song isn't something extraordinary either (I just like the solo). Lyrics are too straight-forward and I don't like them at all. Some of the names of the songs are very non-dt (Terminus, Focus Shift, Inside the Particle Storm), I really would have liked some Skydancer-like lyrics, that would have been awesome! Blind At Heart would make a kick-ass title, actually, it's the best name for an album...

Yup, im not that big of a fan of Character either....My top albums are
Minds I
Damage Done
Haven and
Gallery

Some of the song titles sound like Dt trying to be Dt lol can't you just imagine Stanne singing

Nothing to noone or The Lesser Faith, it has that dt esque name

Fiction (ultimately non-dt)

01. Nothing To No One (a bit dt-ish)
02. The Lesser Faith (dt - indeed)
03. Terminus (Where Death Is Most Alive) (more like power metal song titles || pure dt)
04. Blind At Heart (110% dt)
05. Icipher (not sure)
06. Inside The Particle Storm (hmmm... nope, still not dt)
07. Empty Me (more like Haven, not ''Fiction'')
08. Misery´s Crown (maybe)
09. Focus Shift (not 1% dt-ish)
10. The Mundane And The Magic (genuine dt)
11. A Closer End (Japan bonus track) (maybe to the Japanese, it is dt-ish)
12. Winter Triangle (instrumental) (Australia bonus track) (not sure, at all)

it's cool how fans think they know what is DT better than the band members themselves. you want to lock them in a silly little box and preserve them criogenically. probably if they had just tried to copy themselves since their second album we wouldn't like them at all.

I was pointing out that "Projector" and "Focus shift" have a lot in common, conceptually. And the fact that the growls sound particularly clear in the new song likens the two even more.

As for the buzzkill, I'm just saying this forum has rules against requests/information on copyrighted material. Considering the growing popularity of both DT and filesharing, I'm sure this is not the last time I'll have to say this.

True.

And my buzzkill remark goes with the line following it. I totally have no problems with the stance on copyrighted material on the board.

Another attempt at the lyrics.

I think i just forgot
to pick up the shells
from my recent discharge
and you took the blame
explanation falter
to ears fallen deaf
wherever i go i get lost

a reference to something
that both of us knew
nothing that favors the few
in the darkness electric we see
Of the silence that's spoken tonight

I think i have lost my language
Whenever i say i deny
I think i have lost my way
Whatever was missing is gone

I let my focus shift

Your face is a map I fail to discover
Drown in the sound, so lost in the order
It's an understated word, the unbreaking knowledge
Interlocked and holding, a stalemate to break
I take hold of the flame that unites
In the silence that speaks to me now

I think I have lost my language
Whatever I say I deny
I think I have lost my way

I let my focus shift

I struggle to find the words .. my meaning
I fail to comprehend what message is given

I decline the .. hand, that leads to rejection
An attempt to find closure with no sense of pride
Drown the fury swallow the fire
Drown the fury swallow the fire

I think I have lost my language
Whenever I say I deny
I think i have lost my way

I let my focus shift.

~kov.

I think the new song sounds great, and I wouldn't worry too much about the song titles because that's all they are, song titles.

I think the song titles sound pretty cool actually, and I don't think DT will disappoint with the new album.

it's cool how fans think they know what is DT better than the band members themselves. you want to lock them in a silly little box and preserve them criogenically. probably if they had just tried to copy themselves since their second album we wouldn't like them at all.

I agree...
And,
I really think it's useless to analyze every little single detail of each song titles, or each keyboard notes, or anything dt-related... Imo, music is about feelings... that's all. If I analyze too much or try to find a reason, it'll loose its magic.

Regarding the lyrics, i have a few suggestions/corrections to make:

-"explanations falter": i'm almost sure it's like this, it seems to be like this in the studio video as well.
-In the first chorus to me it sounds like "whatever i say i deny".
-"Drowned in the sound" sounds more correct to me, but i could be wrong.
-"I try to find the words that negate my meaning".

There's a few more points that sound weird to me, but i wouldn't say you got them wrong, sometimes Mikael's screaming sounds weird like that.

As for the song, i like it very much. It's not any grand revelation (as in there is something familiar about it - but then we're talking about a specific band, how different can they sound? if i wanted something completely different i'd go listen to some other band), but i think it's DT at their best. I have the feeling there will be a few much greater songs on the album, and i also have the feeling that i will love this album very much. Unfortunately i couldn't connect with Character, even though i appreciate it. I tend to listen to it a couple times, but it can't hold my interest and i let my focus shift. But i'm under the impression that i will be able to connect with Fiction, i have already listened to Focus Shift a dozen times and i'm not getting bored. It awakens feelings in me (something that happened a lot with Projector and DD, but Character failed at), and if "disappointment, failure, lack of insight, and self-deprecation" are really some of the lyrical themes, i'm in for a treat. The sound seems a bit odd, but i take it that's because there's a different producer involved or because the quality of the sample isn't that good. And i absolutely love the part where there seems to be two guitars playing the exact same thing!

That said, i agree with the person who commented on CM's idea of a press release. Uploading a song and putting some info on the side, without even dedicating a couple of lines or a link in the "news" page, in my opinion shows lack of interest and professionalism. I hope they will at least put a note in their news soon.

edit: What do you people think "Icipher" means? It sounds intriguing.

KitKat: Did you mean to write "lose" the magic? If so, I'm pretty sure I still understand the meaning of your post, but I really like the post the way it is... (let) loose the magic! :D

and God bless the multilinguals.