Fiction [New Album Spoilers Highly Likely. Read At Own Risk]

At the moment, the only thing that bothers me about Fiction is that with a limited edition (with bonus DVD!) and bonus-tracks for both the Japanese and Australian releases, I'll need to buy at least four different versions of the album, two of which probably need to be imported. :bah:

What about the possible EP-release which was discussed earlier? Are there still more recorded songs in addition to the twelve mentioned thus far?

-Villain
I've got the same problem 'cause I really want all the new material.. Can I really afford to buy four different versions of an album? :erk:

I really, really like the new song. I don't see it as the "end-all" of everything, or the best song ever, or any of that non-sense. It's good, it sounds good, and that's all I care to extrapolate from it. Trying to figure out the rest of the CD, musically, from this one song is like trying to see an entire picture with just a piece (or a million other similes).

I really like the line "I think I have lost my language". Conceptually I find that cool, and its a good line poetically.

The title doesn't worry me a bit. I think its kind of cool, actually, there is a lot of places they could go lyrically with it. Also, I was a fan of Character (one of my favorite DT albums) and of having Character as the title, so there may be bias involved. :p

I love the keyboards too, as (I believe) Hyena mentioned. Now, the only part I'll have problems with is being patient...

ad.gif

My first is impression of the new song is quite good. Especially the solo is way better than the solos on Character, although it could have been twice as long but nevermind. What bothers me is the riff that starts around 0:48. When I heard the song for the very first time and that riff started I knew exactly how this sounded. It sounded strangely familiar to me. Could it be that this is THE special DT riff? I don't want to say that they've copied themselves but does it seem familiar to someone else, too?

I can't wait for the album to come out.

What bothers me is the riff that starts around 0:48. When I heard the song for the very first time and that riff started I knew exactly how this sounded. It sounded strangely familiar to me. Could it be that this is THE special DT riff? I don't want to say that they've copied themselves but does it seem familiar to someone else, too?
I have that feeling with several parts of the song. It's what I meant with the "heard before" feeling

Funny you'd say so, because as far as I can remember the only occasion I've ever seen the word Terminus used before is, indeed, on Skydancer (Crimson Winds to be exact). :p
Punish My Heaven lyrics contain the word crossroads, Lethe lyrics contains the word sweep, Hedon lyrics contain the word hungry, all those three songs that I have just mentioned contain many words, but it doesn't mean that they have to be named after the song itself... They're lyrics, they may contain anything.

I'm having my first listen to focus shift now. Sounds pretty epic. Production is much to my liking. The opening riff would be a bit crappy without the keyboard chord singing out behind it. The chorus is beautiful. Stanne's vocals sound a little more organic than on character. I can literally see his grimacing face as I hear the words spat. Keyboards are definately standing out so far... but anyway, if this track gets the right treatment, i.e. a video that actually gets airtime, DT should make ALOT of money for all the right reasons.

It never relents, it's a perfect single and everything about it is incredibly satisfying in my opinion for fans of DT's last 3 albums and anyone hearing DT for the first time are going to be amazed.

I will be spreading the word.

Punish My Heaven lyrics contain the word crossroads, Lethe lyrics contains the word sweep, Hedon lyrics contain the word hungry, all those three songs that I have just mentioned contain many words, but it doesn't mean that they have to be named after the song itself... They're lyrics, they may contain anything.

Yes, and they respectively contain the words "Punish my heaven", "Lethe", and "Hedon". Generally you try and pick a title that has some overarching significance to the song as a whole, rather than one specific section. And while naming an album independent of any song titles is not an uncommon thing, especially for DT, bands generally try to make sure their song titles are in the songs themselves. So going by that, what would you really expect? At this point it seems more that you'd be taking exception to the lyrics themselves, which are what generate the song titles.

Personally, I like the song titles. Icipher is a bit reminiscent of Am I 1? in it's briefness and possibilities for meaning.

<newthought>
I think for the most part, Mikael was making a departure from the norm on this album. First off, in Focus Shift, I noticed a few points where he specifically went out of his way not to rhyme, and the structure itself of the lyrics seems to vary between lines and verses. Perhaps thats all just to reference the Loss of language, but I still find it interesting. On the same note, yes, they have moved away from the more poetic naming conventions for their song titles, but that's been a long way coming. Nowadays, they tend towards more metaphorical titles that help to reference the song's subject. I could be wrong, though.

~kov. (Just finished my morning tea, so it might not be in effect yet. If this sounds dull-witted, please ignore.)

The more you post the more I find it's beyond me to understand what your point is (and not just in this discussion). What is even the context of what you're trying to say? First you call Terminus a "power metal song" title, and Villain points out to you that he's only ever encountered the word in a song by DT. Then the above quote, which... mentions random words from random DT songs?

Seriously, is it me? Can someone who understands this guy explain what this is about?

Seriously, is it me? Can someone who understands this guy explain what this is about?

Lemme pitch this at you - my brotehr from anotehr mother mentioned following (didn't take much of attempt, but here it is laid out):

3. Terminus (Where Death Is Most Alive) = Versus Terminus
6. Inside The Particle Storm = Reflect the Storm
7. Empty Me = Discover me Like Emptiness

Japan bonus track: A closer end = Dead End

//in flames song titles on teh right

I didn't mention any In Flames in the titles, I was just messing around - and that's my opinion.

@Rahvin: Villain said that that the word Terminus (one of the titles of Fiction) is found in Crimson Winds lyrics when I mentioned that Terminus is a weird name for dt. Then I explained to him that not any word in the lyrics of a song can be put to be the name of this song... Better now?

The more you post the more I find it's beyond me to understand what your point is (and not just in this discussion). What is even the context of what you're trying to say? First you call Terminus a "power metal song" title, and Villain points out to you that he's only ever encountered the word in a song by DT. Then the above quote, which... mentions random words from random DT songs?

It's not just you :p... I would have said the same but last time I did it started a huge fucking forum drama which at this time Dark Tranquillity can do without I reckon.

I have whored the track far and wide. people be loving it. it's funny though... Everyone is saying "yeah it's ace" in a really unperturbed "but of course it's ace, it's dark tranquillity" fashion :p... almost like they're dissapointed it's not ace to prove DT are only human... Damn DT and their inhumanly ace ways haha.

@Rahvin: Villain said that that the word Terminus (one of the titles of Fiction) is found in Crimson Winds lyrics when I mentioned that Terminus is a weird name for dt. Then I explained to him that not any word in the lyrics of a song can be put to be the name of this song... Better now?

It is clearer now, thank you. I'm going to add one thing though: if a word is so peculiar that you've only heard one band use it before, it seems you could call a later song by them with that word as a title "typical", or at least in tune with their usual language. Don't you think?

Anyway, no drama was intended.

I have the teasing feeling that the band is unfurling something big. Maybe the development of mankind. (although it sounds a bit too epic).

You may have noticed that since Haven, Stanne complains about the meaningless realtions between human creatures, about the mechanic thinking, about what the world has become.

In Haven he is the one to descover the world's misery and the one who needs shelter in this artifical construction - society.

In Character Stanne sings about the lack of any means that could help a single soul, a single character connect to society and be a part of it. I think Stanne sings about how impossible it is for a complex structure (someone's character) to be a part of a community.

Back in the days of the first 3 albums, the conception was not really clear and purposeful but maybe Stanne later decided he could develop it and make an engrossing, thoughtfull story. :)

Maybe...the new album continues where the last ended.

Reactions: King Chaos