Fiction [New Album Spoilers Highly Likely. Read At Own Risk]

if a word is so peculiar that you've only heard one band use it before, it seems you could call a later song by them with that word as a title "typical", or at least in tune with their usual language. Don't you think?
It's not a typical dt title, that's all. I respect that, I mean, they have to change from time to time...

I have the teasing feeling that the band is unfurling something big. Maybe the development of mankind. (although it sounds a bit too epic).

You may have noticed that since Haven, Stanne complains about the meaningless realtions between human creatures, about the mechanic thinking, about what the world has become.

In Haven he is the one to descover the world's misery and the one who needs shelter in this artifical construction - society.

In Character Stanne sings about the lack of any means that could help a single soul, a single character connect to society and be a part of it. I think Stanne sings about how impossible it is for a complex structure (someone's character) to be a part of a community.

Back in the days of the first 3 albums, the conception was not really clear and purposeful but maybe Stanne later decided he could develop it and make an engrossing, thoughtfull story. :)

Maybe...the new album continues where the last ended.
Well it will be interesting to see what the new album orbits conceptually, but I must say, that's a nice post my friend. I look forward to hearing what you make of Fiction conceptually.

I have a feeling too, that this song is just a small teaser from our beloved dt, and the rest of the album is going to slay big time than any other dt album made. I might be exaggerating to much, but I can feel it... I hope the rest of the lyrics aren't as straight-forward as Focus Shift.

I think I've completely lost you guys. Completely. It sounds like most of you are either being dicks, or trying to find meaning in entirely irrelevant coincidences.

Focus Shift is also only one song...

PS:

"No power left to retrieve my stolen language
filtered through the illiterate fingers of death"

:)

It sounds like most of you are either being dicks, or trying to find meaning in entirely irrelevant coincidences.

Focus Shift is also only one song...

So far pretty much everyone has sung praise for the song... I agree a couple of people have over-reacted about the potential greatness of the release based on what they hear in FS, but to say 'most' people are being dicks is a huge over statement. No need to be like that here man. We're all good people who love Dark Tranquillity.

Trust me, Jolty, it's a phase. We all get hyped up, each in their own way, about the impending album, and some of us - like me - tend to start trying to construct the rest of the album off of the samples we have at our disposal.

To be quite honest, the reason I've been listening to Focus Shift so much is to learn the lyrics, for when DT hits town. I've always found DT to be a much, much better experience in a live setting, and so I tend to try and make the most of them.

~kov.

Lemme pitch this at you - my brotehr from anotehr mother mentioned following (didn't take much of attempt, but here it is laid out):

3. Terminus (Where Death Is Most Alive) = Versus Terminus
6. Inside The Particle Storm = Reflect the Storm
7. Empty Me = Discover me Like Emptiness

Japan bonus track: A closer end = Dead End

//in flames song titles on teh right

I thought about this too last night.. well seems like IF are inspiring DT :loco:
anyway I wouldn't have used terminus.. a very specific word, just the same as in the last in flames title... does not seem very original to me.. of course mikael had no intention of copying it.. but people will say that, so...

Well, copy is not the most appropriate word here, is it? :loco: Stanne may have done this on purpose and may want us to connect these titles exactly to those of In Flames. But it is not copying since both are great bands. Maybe a friendly act.

Also if it remind us of IF, it is OK, much more that Come CLarity is a nice album and much much more that Anders Friden's lyrics have always been fantastic even on the "Soundtrack".

Oh, maybe I talk too much this evening but my whole idea is that some titles related to some fanastic titles and lyrics of IF is not a bad thing in any way. :)

Is there anyone here who dislikes Anders' lyrics?

I'm not a huge fan. He generally seems to have a pretty good feel for lyrics, and then goes and throws something ridiculous in.

For example, in my opinion, the title (and corresponding lyrics) of Evil in a Closet ruined the song for me. The rest of it was excellent, though, which is a shame.

~kov.

All i have to say is that its my favorite gift for this year:kickass: ! Just came back from work and see the news an listen at the new song! A perfect birthday!

Btw the song is great!:headbang:

I thought about this too last night.. well seems like IF are inspiring DT :loco:
anyway I wouldn't have used terminus.. a very specific word, just the same as in the last in flames title... does not seem very original to me.. of course mikael had no intention of copying it.. but people will say that, so...

Originally Versus Terminus was called End of All Things

Discover Me Like Emptiness is the bonus track of Soundtrack To Your Espace for you info (and the best track on it too...)

I would not do such connection with the two bands and to prove it, i will tell you a little story :

3 years ago, two bands released their new album : Blink 182 and Muse (yeah i love em, no need to argue about that if you do not, we dont care).

They both released a song called Stockholm Syndrome, both song were "aggresive" (in their kind of music) and both are pure shit live (this is my personnal comment).
Yet, when asked about that, Blink 182 members reckoned they did not even know about the band called Muse (Blink album's was out after Muse's).

You might point out that the band's style arent as close as IF and DT (at least in the past) but for me, it's pure coincidence and anyway, i doubt any interview will prove the contrary :)

Punish My Heaven lyrics contain the word crossroads, Lethe lyrics contains the word sweep

For a second, I thought you were going to conclude that the album should be called "Solitaire". (you know, crosswords, minesweep...).

The artwork posted by Niklas made my lose my luggage entirely. It's beautiful. Red-white-black schemes are probably my favorite ever in any case, but this specific one is done so tastefully that I am not even sorry anymore that I cannot afford all the beauty I want.

Anders vocals suck major balls from Reroute to Remain to Come Clarity, and they weren't even that good on Clayman, but surely better than now - obviously. In my opinion, Anders' vocals were good only on The Jester Race and Colony, and surprisingly, I really do like his vocals on Skydancer.

@plintus: well, then "terminus" wins the "best-substitute-name-for-upcoming-albums" award :)

@InsArtTure: actually, I didn't say Mikael copied it.. I just said it's weird (and not original) for him to take such a close inspiration.. besides DT and IF in the last years tried to keep as separate as possibile (as for music, style, etc.)... there's no strong connection to justify such a direct call.. or maybe this is mikael's originality: closing things that are separate.. btw, I'm not a big ander's songwriting fan.. his lyrics are a bit dumb, and he just keeps repeating the same words all the time..