Fiction [New Album Spoilers Highly Likely. Read At Own Risk]

Discover Me Like Emptiness is a cover and not an original for In Flames.

...and about Dark Tranquillity and In Flames, they were only alike in Whoracle and The Mind's I a bit, the others have nothing to do with each other I think...

So, my opinion after 20 spins of Focus shift - heard before. DT are said to be innovative, which eludes me completely in this song. Hopefully the rest of the album will be musically more intriguing, or this might as well be the first DT album I won't buy.

My word on Focus shift.

Positive:
'tis a good song. Better than what I've heard coming out of Character, to my ears, that is. The sound is great, Stanne's vocals are kicking as usual and the "feel" of the song definitely announces an excellent album and a change of direction since the last two.

Negative:
The chorus sounds like blender mix of Dry Run and Lost to Apathy.

Bottom-line
Now I know I can't wait for the new album to come out.
and "haha" to all Europeans, us north-americans get the cd first.

ad.gif

oi... that's amazing! If that webflyer looks this good i can just imagine what the rest will look like.

As far as Focus shift goes... The only negative remark i have is that it's too short. It grew on me about the 5th time i heard it and i still think it's too short. But it's still a great song.

I'm real shocked i don't have a copy in my hands yet :rolleyes:

As I said before, many times before, I love the song. It is great. It is not perfect, but it is truly an amazing song.

I actually don't like that people are complaining about this new song, since I find it to be so marvelous. Maybe other people are lacking something or didn't listen to it clearly?

Everyone over obviously has the right to sate his/her opinions, I am in now way attacking/flaming here, I just want to say that DT could be doing bad, ye know?

I mean look at In Flames.

Have you ever considered DT could be in the same way?

Obviously not, because it is DT. IMO, DT is a band that will always remain true to themselves. But again, DT could be doing much worse.

Coming back to the song, am I the only one who analyses it musically speaking?!@?

Just listen to the beginning of the drums of Focus Shift and the listen to the drums of Punish My Heaven.

Pretty similar huh?

I think that's why it reminds some people of old DT, as it is in my case.

@Hyena: I agree, I love the keyboards! I actually thought of Haven when I heard them! I hope keyboards are a lot like in this song, because they sound great!

---

As I sated in a thread before, I am not too worried now, but I stlll don't like WDIMA.

----

Ok so DT is deinetly following the Character style sound, but I am pretty sure this won't be a Character II ot Damage Done 3 :p , IMO it'll have a pretty unique sound.

I like that the lyrics are straightforward, not very DT-like I know, but hey changes are always welcome, specially when they're good (as I think this is the case).

I don't like that there are so many versions of the cd, is it to please the fans or to get more money? I don't think it's the latter, but damn, 3 versions!!!

And waht about the digi packs and LP release?!? I want them all but wow that'll be a lot of Fiction cds.

I am truly intrigued with this album, can't wait for it to be released!

OMFG!!!! :OMG:

The song is really good!!! It isn't awesomely insane or something, but in my opinion it isn't bad at all. I really really like it! :headbang:

And come on, we're talking about DT!! :worship:

I like the artwork. And i like the fact that it looks kind of different from the rest of Niklas' work, in a good way. It smells of progress in personal style, and it's dark. I hope i'm not seeing too much into this and that the rest of it is as good. :)

what?? a cover? don't think so... never heard that song before.. :Smug: :loco:
Sorry, I just checked, it's not a cover. I thought so because I remember I read it somewhere, not that I believe anything I read but the song is actually different from the whole album so I thought it would be a cover too. Anyway, for the ones who havn't heard it yet... RRRAAARGH! I AM A PIRATE WHO CANNOT READ THE RULES POSTED AT THE VERY START OF THIS THREAD!

My sister actually caught a lyric that I couldn't figure out, so I'll post up a revised version (w/ Siren's corrections).

I think i just forgot
To pick up the shells
From a recent discharge
And you took the blame
Explanations falter
To ears fallen deaf
Wherever I go I get lost

A reference to something
That both of us knew
A nothing that favors the few
In the darkness electric we see
Of the silence that's spoken tonight

I think I have lost my language
Whatever I've said I deny
I think I have lost my way
Whatever was missing is gone

I let my focus shift

Your face is a map I fail to discover
Drowned in the sound, so lost in the order
It's an understated word, the unbreaking knowledge
Interlocked and holding, a stalemate to break [or 'no stalemate']
I take hold of the flame that unites
In the silence that speaks to me now

I let my focus shift

I struggle to find the words that negate my meaning
I fail to comprehend what message is given

I decline the sleight of hand, that leads to rejection
An attempt to find closure with no sense of pride
Drown the fury swallow the fire
Drown the fury swallow the fire

I let my focus shift.

Now, I've probably listened to it about 50 times now, and I have to say, I do really like it. It's not quite what I had expected, but it's not bad. My only complaint is that it's rather short - but, as I've noticed, if you put it on repeat, the song begins and ends exactly the same way, so it seems like a short pause in an incredibly long, repetitive song.

~kov.

I love it.. can't stop listening to it.. I've listened to it over 70 times now.. so cool..

thanks for the lyrics :)

btw.. looks like mikael loves the word "shell".. hehehe.. he uses it in exposure, in lost to apathy and in focus shift now :)
and I quote kov's last sentence!

Cheers for that Kov.

[completely offtopic but relevant rant]I can't believe every thread is some how deteriorating into In Flames talk now-a-days. This is 2007 not 1999. The two bands are completely seperate entities! The song title similarities were an interesting coincidence, but anything else to do with in flames is null and void in a thread about DT's new album. For in flames' sake, stop bringing them up.[/rant]

My bro loves the track too. He heard it for the first time just now, gave it a really good listen. be interesting to find out who has the writing credits on this one. Sounds like music Henrikson/Brandstrom, lyrics Stanne.

Haha, I knew I couldn't be the only one who had done that :p

And I can't claim all the lyrics are right, but they're as close as I could get them.

I've also officially listened to it too much - It's stuck in my head, and I remember all of it...

~kov.