Fiction [New Album Spoilers Highly Likely. Read At Own Risk]

:lol:

Rahvin's edits kill me every time - almost to the point that some sleep-deprived night I might come here and post links all over the place just to find out how our mighty moderator would replace them. Almost. :heh:

As for the song-titles mentioned before, both storm and empty (not to mention me) have been important themes in DT songs ever since The Gallery (in The Dividing Line and The Emptiness from which I Fed, respectively) and it is no surprise to me they are now using them as song-titles (heck, they've already used the latter in Emptier Still). Terminus, on the other hand, could've easily been a song title on Skydancer, in my opinion.

Thus, I must once again say that I fail to see any sort of a dramatic stylistic change in how they have named the songs. Icipher is so Projector and The Lesser Faith could be from any other DT album except Skydancer.

About Focus Shift, I agree it has a very familiar feeling to it (apart from the solos, which are new) and it reminds me of Character a lot, but I can also hear the differences: the "wall of sound" that was so strongly present (which I loved) on Character has, as mentioned before, given room to a much clearer production; and the structure of the song is slightly simpler than that of many Character-songs. While I don't personally like these changes "on paper", I still like Focus Shift as a song and am interested in hearing more from the album - especially how much variation there will be between the songs.

Lost to Apathy was far from the best song on Character, and I have a firm belief there will be better songs on Fiction than Focus Shift.

-Villain

Oh man, how did I miss that edit. I'm a hair's breadth from cracking up out loud at the office. The secretary to my left is trying to figure out why I have this rictus grin on my face, and it looks like I'm trying to hold back... well, yeah.

Villain - I have to agree with you on most of what you posted there. There is one thing I'd contend, though. The 'wall of sound' you spoke of is still very present, at least to me. The production on the guitars and drums is much cleaner, but they're all still coming at the listener in the same way. The thing that I love about the song, though, is that the crispness of the keyboards throws me for a complete loop. The main thing about Character was the feeling of trying to inflict blunt force trauma with music - not nearly to that degree, but everything would come at you all at once, and all from the same direction. With the keyboards as they are on Focus Shift, I'll be all concentrating on the the drums and guitars, and I'll hear this little tinkling of keys off to the side and it'll keep me distracted long enough for the other parts to hit me again. It's like they're working as a team, now, rather than as one single unit.

Actually, that's exactly it. It seems more like the band members are playing their own individual things that just so happen to work well together, as opposed to Character, where it seemed like everything was tied together so tightly that you couldn't see where one began and another ended. Both are great. I just like the difference.

~kov.

Very well put, and I agree with your team/unit comparison. It is just that I was so fond of the massive soundscapes of Character that a part of me was hoping them to continue in that vein. Even though the rest of me understands this change is actually most welcome in the sense that there was probably no way to go any further with such an approach and making two albums with exactly the same production would be rather redundant.

To conclude: I can't wait to hear how the whole album sounds.

-Villain

Hello all, it has been awhile since my last post...
About that new song: Anyone that thinks that the first 20seconds sound very soilworkish? - something i don't find positive. Then the whole song indeed is formulaic as mentioned before. However the second listen already revealed the DT-Style and their elegance and the Nu-metal impression was forgotten. As always some very cool and smooth solo in here.
However I still don't like the opening riff. It does sound like Soilwork sounded during the Predators Portrait-Era.
The song is quite good but not great. I just can't get rid of the feeling that after some great albums also our beloved DT is showing signs of stagnation and lack of fresh new ideas. I hate saying and feeling this, i just cant help it. Lets see how the whole album will sound. As long as it is not worse than this new song i think I am gonna like it. Maybe the band/or the label has chosen to go public with a more accessible - straight forward song, like they did with Character/Lost to apathy.
Regards, Didl

^ "I am worried" thread, anyone?

Look, I had the same thoughts and feelings as you, I mean, I created a thread about my worries! :p :erk: :cry: :rolleyes:

I know exactly how ye feel, but after hearing "Focus Shift," I am sure DT is not entering stagnation or loosing ideas.

They're still in the Character-style phase, which I don't mind because Character is one bloody good album.

I don't think "Fiction" will be a dissapointment at all, I know it, in my heart, that it'll be a great album, I'm pretty sure even better than Character.:headbang:

Again, my only worries are with BAH and Terminus. I wan't to hear them with good audio quality! :erk:

@Kov: I'm probably nitpicking here, but here's a few more lyrics comments. :p
-I think it's "from my recent discharge", why did you change this? It seemed correct the first time.. Also confirmed from the vid. :)
-"Drown the fury and swallow the fire
Drown the fury, swallow the fire". This is minute, but i'm a perfectionist. :p
-I agree with the "sleight of hand", that's what i thought the first time too but was too unsure.
-Also sometimes it sounds as if Mikael says "whatever i said i deny" instead of "i've said", and in one or two places it sounds like "i left my focus shift". I don't think you should change this into the posted lyrics, but i'm curious how it will appear in the booklet..

Oh, and thanks for putting the lyrics down in a post, you did a good job. :)

And it's nice to see more people putting this song on repeat, it seems like an effect it tends to have. :D

@Didl: it made me think of Soilwork too in the first few listens, but i don't find that negative since i like them. :)

I have to add my two cents here, hehehe

I personally like the song a lot and yes, it feels like the band has a clearer production than before but I have never understood why people think that is bad. If you have the dough, why not use it to make someting sound professional? Besides, DT still posseses that wall of sound but there are minute changes here and there that remind me why I love this band so much, their capacity to evolve. Also, we have to remember that Predator-era Soilwork was actually a good period for that band so the similarity is not so bad after all.

Nevertheless, I love the new song and I believe that the boyz will prove, once again, why they are the best melodic death metal band in the planet!

In this case...Fiction is better than Reality!! :headbang:

Reminds me of "Am I 1" from Character. Not that that's bad, of course. :)

I love the older sound from albums like The Gallery and The Mind's I, but I also love the sound from Damage Done and Character. I hope with this one they'll blend more of the two. I want more songs like "The New Build" on Fiction.

But, I like the new song. It's cool and stuff.

I agree, predators portrait was quite a good album, but later on I was not so fond of their style. The thing is: Dark Tranquillity used to influence bands like Soilwork and imho this should not be the other way round:heh:
But after having listened to that new song quite a bit, i safely look forward to the new album. :headbang:
Regards, Dietrich

it reminds me "Am I 1" too!

I am so stupid...For the last 3 days, i have told everybody who knew DT that Fiction reminded me the part in which Mikael sing "No character..." in My Negation. And nobody reminded me it was in Am I 1 ahah.

For me it's that part + a mix with Lost To Apathy and the fast song of the Mind's I era + some very nice solos

I hate ''Am I 1?''! If I was listening to Character by any chance and this song plays, I get really nervous and change immediately, the song sucks major balls. Focus Shift is waaaay better.

I am so stupid...For the last 3 days, i have told everybody who knew DT that Fiction reminded me the part in which Mikael sing "No character..." in My Negation. And nobody reminded me it was in Am I 1 ahah.

For me it's that part + a mix with Lost To Apathy and the fast song of the Mind's I era + some very nice solos

hehehe I agree :)

just heard focus shift.
fucken great, didnt sound like your average dt but then automatically changed in to the usual fast shit.
fucken love the title of the album and it looks like theyve given my country an extra track so SUCK IT.
thank you DT for another amazing songm to listen to on my death bed