Reviewer
Jun 20, 2004
London
www.geocities.com
Fields of the Nephilim – Mourning Sun
Oblivion/SPV – SPV 63832 CD – 27.11.05
By Anna Novitzky

nephilim.jpg

I have a dirty little secret. I call myself a goth – I wear black, I spend hours every day applying eyeliner, and I own more corsets than there are days of the week – but I’ve never really listened to Fields of the Nephilim. As such, I may never fully understand the true import of the return of the goth-rocker’s goth-rock band from fifteen years of discographic oblivion, but believe you me, my more conscientious lace-clad cronies are creaming themselves – and I can see why.

Mourning Sun is fifty-five minutes of pure goth heaven. Distorted guitars, tapping bass and layered synths blend together and drip through the aural tract like midnight-coloured caramel, seasoned with Carl McCoy’s gritty vocals – one moment soulful and rich, the next channelling the ominous voice of the summoned demon in a certain class of horror film. Slipping seamlessly from one track to the next, Mourning Sun is a complete listening experience – close your eyes and you can see the goths weaving to and fro across smoke-filled rooms. If that sounds a touch pretentious, it is; but that, in the end, is what the genre is all about, and if you can’t take it with a pinch of salt you should really find some other way to spend your time.

As an introduction to a band who set the tone for a decade’s-worth of teenage navel-gazing poetry, it would be hard to better Mourning Sun; and established fans will welcome it like an old friend. So go, don your winkle-pickers and spread the word: Fields of the Nephilim are back, and the boys done good.

8/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Website of Fields of the Nephilim
Official Website of SPV

Downloaded it. Listened to it. Deleted it after I decided not to burn it to cd. No member of FOTN will ever top their second album "The Nephilim."

Good album.

If you're a fan of thrash

or bands like Tiamat, Apollyon Sun,:kickass: get this!

Have not yet heard this album. But, will in the near future. "Eliziem" is one of my all-time fav albums. A great atmoshpere with excellent songwriting and arrangement.

I'm with ya on Mourning Sun... awesome album.... every time i hear it i think of vampires.... don't ask me why.....:)

Good album.

If you're a fan of thrash

or bands like Tiamat, Apollyon Sun,:kickass: get this!
haha

looks like someone spent their first (and only) post making this ridiculous statement :err:

Of course this album isn't as good as their earlier stuff, my favorite being 'Dawnrazor', but it is quite a good album