Films with philosophical/ideological value

I'm just looking for something more profound than the entertainment which dominates most of the industry. I appreciate that these are going to be subjective picks as I used the term "value" rather than simply "philosophical films", and there's no need to try and cater for my worldview.

Silent Song said:
american history x. though you've probably seen it.

I DESPISE that fucking movie with an unholy passion! :puke:It is such a blatant work of leftist propaganda that it forces me to revaluate the already low opinion I had on the general I.Q. in society and to grudgingly give credit to the unbelievable level of slyness employed by "those" empowered in the media.

Darth Kur said:
I DESPISE that fucking movie with an unholy passion! :puke:It is such a blatant work of leftist propaganda that it forces me to revaluate the already low opinion I had on the general I.Q. in society and to grudgingly give credit to the unbelievable level of slyness employed by "those" empowered in the media.
what's wrong with it?

It's unbelievably sensationalized. Skinhead kills black guy, goes to jail, befriends other black guy, decides "i'm not racist anymore," leaves jail, helps little brother to leave the path to racism for a much more hollywood ending. This shit never happens.

Silent Song said:
american history x. though you've probably seen it.

"Judge people by their personalities, not the color of their skin."

I just saved the guy however long it would've taken him to watch the film.

Now for some recommendations:

The Seventh Seal
Tarkovky's Stalker
Ugetsu Monogatari
Himatsuri
Eyes Without a Face
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Rashomon
Onibaba
Tetsuo: The Iron Man
Charisma
The Sun's Burial
El Topo
Satantango

Waking Life is pretty cool. It's basically about a guy who walks around in a lucid dream meeting people of different worldviews/thoughts.
It's pretty unique esthetically since all frames in the movie are handpainted, which really adds to the overall dreamy feeling

I'm studying A Clockwork fucking Orange at AS level, I've not only "really looked into it" but I can now speak fluent nadsat. It's not a masterpiece, somewhat interesting though.

Waking Life I have seen, and the philosophies explained either contradict themselves in silly ways, or are just really undeveloped. It was an interesting idea though, and the animation is great.

The Seventh Seal is super-fabulous, of course.

I'll look into the rest.

IanDork107 said:
It's unbelievably sensationalized. Skinhead kills black guy, goes to jail, befriends other black guy, decides "i'm not racist anymore," leaves jail, helps little brother to leave the path to racism for a much more hollywood ending. This shit never happens.
meh, maybe. but have you seen the end? its anything but hollywood.

since Demiurge mentioned Stalker Ill add Tarkovski's Andrei Rubylev and The Sacrifice.
Wild Strawberries

The Barbarian Invasions by Denys Arcand

The three colors trilogy by the polish guy whose name I temporarily forget.

Bananas, Sleeper, Love and Death, and Crimes and Misdemeanors by woody allen

8 1/2, La Dolce Vita, by fellini

i thought Sideways was quite excellent in terms of philosophy etc.

Silent Song said:
what's wrong with it?

If you or anyone else has to seriously ask that question then you're a lost cause. Did you not read my original statement? If you see nothing at all wrong with that cinematical piece filth then you have obviously bought into the "program" hook, line and sinker.
That "movie" is nothing but a vehicle for propaganda with a much deeper, sinister and long reaching plan in mind. Everything presented in it are absolute lies. And what is truly insidious is that shreds of actual truth are presented in some of the dialogue with the sole purpose to discredit it.
Pure genius really. Got to hand it to the rotten bastards. They sure know how the weave a web of deception. All one has to do is look at present day society to see that their ploy is working.

I heard fight club was really bad, but that was ofcourse from VH1. What did you think of it?
-Zack

Try
-"Institute Benjamenta" ("This Dream People Call Human Life")
-"Eraserhead"
-"Songs From The Second Floor" ("Sånger från andra våningen")

Well, you can check out some reviews first to see if you are interested really in those kind of movies I suggested you, cause I'm not quite sure whether it's this that you asked for or not. Try amazon.

hatecrewdroll said:
I heard fight club was really bad, but that was ofcourse from VH1. What did you think of it?
-Zack

I thought it was pretty good...it was certainly more entertaining than the majority of the crap that floats around theaters. Plus, I enjoy Chuck Palahniuk and his books.

I also second 'Eraserhead'...also check out Videodrome.