Random philosophical/psychological/ideological survey

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
I got bored and made this up yesterday/today. Mostly questions I wonder how much time people spend thinking about.

Answer "yes", "no" or "unsure" (but try not to have more than 5 total unsures). If you would answer "probably", go with "yes". If you would answer "probably not", go with "no".

Part 1: Reality

Do you believe that...
1) ... most people's personal values and ethics are heavily influenced by their biology (i.e. their animal drives for survival and reproduction)?
2) ... most people's behavior is "mechanical" enough that 99% or more of their decisions could be accurately predicted if we had the technology to analyze our brains and our environment in sufficient detail?
3) ... the above technology could similarly predict who someone falls in love with?
4) ... there is a conscious afterlife?
5) ... there are (or have been) people in the world with "prophetic" ability to accurately predict future events without prior knowledge of the circumstances or odds involved?

Do you believe most of questions 1-5...
6) ... have definite answers (for all practical purposes, at least)?
7) ... have different answers under different contexts of reality (i.e. a possible alternate universe, dimension, or state of being)?
8) ... are generally beneficial to know the answers to?

Would you answer most of questions 1-5 the same way as your...
9) ... mother?
10) ... father?
11) ... closest friend?
12) ... significant other?

Part 2: Society

Do you believe that...
13) ... the Republican Party of the U.S. routinely serves its campaign donors at the expense of the public?
14) ... the Democratic Party of the U.S. routinely serves its campaign donors at the expense of the public?
15) ... both Parties routinely use rhetoric or ideology to manipulate the American public against its interests?
16) ... the U.S. government has heavily influenced the American public education system with the intent of establishing an ideological framework to control the public?
17) ... the U.S. government has ever made a popular recreational drug (i.e. cannabis, LSD, Ecstasy) illegal because it presented an ideological threat to the political establishment?
18) ... the U.S. government has ever made a popular recreational drug illegal because it presented a financial threat to a lobbying interest or political party?
19) ... major American TV news networks often use ideological manipulation on the public, or provide the government with an uncritical channel for manipulative public statements?
20) ... questions 13-19 are generally beneficial to know the answers to?

Would you answer most of questions 13-19 the same way as your...
21) ... mother?
22) ... father?
23) ... closest friend?
24) ... significant other?

Part 3: Self

Which of the following do you believe are currently important sources of knowledge or insight in your life?
25) art (or creative literature)
26) spirituality
27) God
28) everyone (or almost everyone) I meet

Part 1

1) Don't know much about this at all but my totally uneducated guess is that it's more cultural than anything else so "no".
2) Yes, although there may or may not be randomness on a quantum level making it difficult to make entirely accurate predictions, I do think human behavior is entirely mechanical.
3) Yes
4) No
5) No

6) Yes
7) Yes, anything's possible I guess
8) Only 5. Does that make it a yes or a no?

9) No
10) No
11) Yes
12) N/A :(

Part 2

13) Yes
14) Yes
15) Yes
16) Unsure
17) Yes
18) Yes
19) Yes
20) Yes

21) No
22) No
23) Unsure
24) N/A :(

Part 3

25) Yes
26) No
27) No
28) Yes

1) Yes, if by most we mean hoi polloi.
2) No. By submitting people and society to calculation then people and society adapt to it and become like it. Getting to the point of being able to calculate sociological phenomena will turn society into robots. "The medium is the message."
3) No, for the same reasons.
4) No, at least not one that can be defined spatio-temporily.
5) Yes, but not the prediction of historical events, but eternal events. This is why poets such as Vergil were also referred to as prophets.

7) ... have different answers under different contexts of reality (i.e. a possible alternate universe, dimension, or state of being)?

9) No.
10) No.
11) No, unless we count my mentor, in which case Yes.
12) Of the one I've dated, pretty much No.

Do you believe that...
13) Yes.
14) Yes.
15) Yes.
16) No.
17) No.
18) No.
19) Yes.
20) Unsure.

21) ... mother?
22) ... father?
23) ... closest friend?

Which of the following do you believe are currently important sources of knowledge or insight in your life?

Literature

So much further definition is needed for questions 1-5 I cannot give a yes-no answer.

And lol at Zephs answer for #1. I guess we are all blessed to be in the presence of a superior biological being. The Ubermensch is among us!

1) Yes and no. I do believe that our genetics have a significant effect on our morals and beliefs but I think the effect of our culture and surroundings largely outweighs it.
2) Yes but it would have to be unfathomably powerful technology. I do think that all people ultimately make the decisions that are most beneficial to them personally.
3) Yes but, again, the technology would have to be unimaginably powerful.
4) No
5) No

6) Yes
7) Yes, but only if these things exist. I don't know an awful lot on the subject but I do think that everything is at least plausible.
8) Yes, but to what degree I'm not sure.

9) No
10) No
11) Unsure
12) N/A

13) Yes
14) Yes
15) Yes
16) Never having attended an American school myself, I can only go with what I've heard in the media, but on that basis I'd say yes.
17) Yes
18) Yes
19) Yes
20) Yes

Again, not living in America, I can only base these answers on what I see on TV, the internet or read in books.

21) Yes
22) Yes
23) Yes
24) N/A

25) Yes
26) No
27) No
28) Yes, although it depends on your definition of "meeting" someone.

zabu of nΩd;10368995 said:
I got bored and made this up yesterday/today. Mostly questions I wonder how much time people spend thinking about.

Answer "yes", "no" or "unsure" (but try not to have more than 5 total unsures). If you would answer "probably", go with "yes". If you would answer "probably not", go with "no".

Do you believe that...
1) ... most people's personal values and ethics are heavily influenced by their biology (i.e. their animal drives for survival and reproduction)?
2) ... most people's behavior is "mechanical" enough that 99% or more of their decisions could be accurately predicted if we had the technology to analyze our brains and our environment in sufficient detail?
3) ... the above technology could similarly predict who someone falls in love with?
5) ... there are (or have been) people in the world with "prophetic" ability to accurately predict future events without prior knowledge of the circumstances or odds involved?

9) ... mother?
10) ... father?
11) ... closest friend?

Do you believe that...
13) ... the Republican Party of the U.S. routinely serves its campaign donors at the expense of the public?
14) ... the Democratic Party of the U.S. routinely serves its campaign donors at the expense of the public?
15) ... both Parties routinely use rhetoric or ideology to manipulate the American public against its interests?
16) ... the U.S. government has heavily influenced the American public education system with the intent of establishing an ideological framework to control the public?
17) ... the U.S. government has ever made a popular recreational drug (i.e. cannabis, LSD, Ecstasy) illegal because it presented an ideological threat to the political establishment?
18) ... the U.S. government has ever made a popular recreational drug illegal because it presented a financial threat to a lobbying interest or political party?
19) ... major American TV news networks often use ideological manipulation on the public, or provide the government with an uncritical channel for manipulative public statements?

21) ... mother?
22) ... father?
23) ... closest friend?

26) spirituality
27) God

Part 1:

1)No
2)Yes (we actually already can do this to an extent...)
3)No
4)No
5)No

6)No
7)Yes
8)Yes

9)No
10)No
11)No
12)No

Part 2:

13)Yes
14)Yes
15)Yes
16)Yes
17)No
18)Yes
19)Yes
20)Yes

21)Yes
22)Yes
23)Yes
24)Yes

Part 3:

Art/literature (including nonfiction), and other people.

Do you believe that...
1) ... most people's personal values and ethics are heavily influenced by their biology (i.e. their animal drives for survival and reproduction)? YES
2) ... most people's behavior is "mechanical" enough that 99% or more of their decisions could be accurately predicted if we had the technology to analyze our brains and our environment in sufficient detail? SINCE YOU THREW "MOST" IN THERE, THE ANSWER IS YES
3) ... the above technology could similarly predict who someone falls in love with? NO, THAT'S NOT POSSIBLE. IT COULD PREDICT THE TYPE OF PERSON, BUT THE ACTUAL PERSON IS NOT POSSIBLE.
4) ... there is a conscious afterlife? UNSURE - THE ONLY CORRECT ANSWER
5) ... there are (or have been) people in the world with "prophetic" ability to accurately predict future events without prior knowledge of the circumstances or odds involved? LOL FUCK NO

6) ... have definite answers (for all practical purposes, at least)? NO
7) ... have different answers under different contexts of reality (i.e. a possible alternate universe, dimension, or state of being)? YES
8) ... are generally beneficial to know the answers to? NO

9) ... mother? NO
10) ... father? NO
11) ... closest friend? YES
12) ... significant other? FUCK YOU

Do you believe that...
13) ... the Republican Party of the U.S. routinely serves its campaign donors at the expense of the public? YES - DUUUHHHHH
14) ... the Democratic Party of the U.S. routinely serves its campaign donors at the expense of the public? YES - DUUUHHHHH
15) ... both Parties routinely use rhetoric or ideology to manipulate the American public against its interests? YES - DUUUHHHHH
16) ... the U.S. government has heavily influenced the American public education system with the intent of establishing an ideological framework to control the public? YES - DUUUHHHHH
17) ... the U.S. government has ever made a popular recreational drug (i.e. cannabis, LSD, Ecstasy) illegal because it presented an ideological threat to the political establishment? YES - DUUUHHHHH
18) ... the U.S. government has ever made a popular recreational drug illegal because it presented a financial threat to a lobbying interest or political party? YES - DUUUHHHHH
19) ... major American TV news networks often use ideological manipulation on the public, or provide the government with an uncritical channel for manipulative public statements? YES - DUUUHHHHH
20) ... questions 13-19 are generally beneficial to know the answers to? FUCK AND YES

21) ... mother? NO
22) ... father? NO
23) ... closest friend? YES
24) ... significant other? FUCK YOU AGAIN

25) art (or creative literature) SURE
26) spirituality NO
27) God NO
28) everyone (or almost everyone) I meet YA SURE, MAKES SENSE

FADSFADF

2) Yes, although there may or may not be randomness on a quantum level making it difficult to make entirely accurate predictions, I do think human behavior is entirely mechanical.
Cool, I wasn't sure how much people would think quantum effects change the odds :)

8) Only 5. Does that make it a yes or a no?
It's a no, I don't think it's important to weight/prioritize the questions.

1) Yes, if by most we mean hoi polloi.
Well I thought you made a pretty good case some months ago in an i.m. chat that this generally applies to educated/professional people as well.

5) Yes, but not the prediction of historical events, but eternal events. This is why poets such as Vergil were also referred to as prophets.
What are eternal events?

So much further definition is needed for questions 1-5 I cannot give a yes-no answer.
What's ambiguous about them?

2) Yes but it would have to be unfathomably powerful technology. I do think that all people ultimately make the decisions that are most beneficial to them personally.
3) Yes but, again, the technology would have to be unimaginably powerful.
Yeah I was afraid the question of technological feasibility would come up :p

Do you believe that...
1) ... most people's personal values and ethics are heavily influenced by their biology (i.e. their animal drives for survival and reproduction)? Values and ethics such as murder and theft being "wrong" and that family should be appreciated to some extent? Yes. Beyond that, no.
2) ... most people's behavior is "mechanical" enough that 99% or more of their decisions could be accurately predicted if we had the technology to analyze our brains and our environment in sufficient detail? I think this hypothetical was ruined with what was contained in the "if" aspect. Technology as it is in present day has its limits, but your hypothetical set the technological limit to unlimited. So, "if" we had the technology, then perhaps, but your hypothetical didn't really leave any other answer.
3) ... the above technology could similarly predict who someone falls in love with? Again, "if" we had the technology to fully analyze what was going on in the minds of individuals that also has the ability to fully take the environment of these individuals into account, then yes.
4) ... there is a conscious afterlife? No.
5) ... there are (or have been) people in the world with "prophetic" ability to accurately predict future events without prior knowledge of the circumstances or odds involved? No.

6) ... have definite answers (for all practical purposes, at least)? 1, perhaps. 4 and 5, yes. 2 and 3, as I said, you set up the question in such a way to where there is no logical answer other than yes.
7) ... have different answers under different contexts of reality (i.e. a possible alternate universe, dimension, or state of being)? No, but they are open to interpretation of individuals.
Not really.
9) ... mother? No.
10) ... father?No.
11) ... closest friend? Possibly.
12) ... significant other? N/A

Do you believe that...
13) ... the Republican Party of the U.S. routinely serves its campaign donors at the expense of the public? No, they routinely serve the government at the expense of the public
14) ... the Democratic Party of the U.S. routinely serves its campaign donors at the expense of the public? No, they routinely serve the government at the expense of the public
15) ... both Parties routinely use rhetoric or ideology to manipulate the American public against its interests? Of course, how else can you steal from the public and make the public think that they are "serving their public duty"?
16) ... the U.S. government has heavily influenced the American public education system with the intent of establishing an ideological framework to control the public? Yes, but not in an Alex Jones sort of reasoning.
17) ... the U.S. government has ever made a popular recreational drug (i.e. cannabis, LSD, Ecstasy) illegal because it presented an ideological threat to the political establishment? Not to a political establishment, but to a corporatist/statist establishment.
18) ... the U.S. government has ever made a popular recreational drug illegal because it presented a financial threat to a lobbying interest or political party? Lobbying interests are what make up our laws.
19) ... major American TV news networks often use ideological manipulation on the public, or provide the government with an uncritical channel for manipulative public statements? No, they just put out a product that sells.
20) ... questions 13-19 are generally beneficial to know the answers to? Yes.

21) ... mother? No.
22) ... father? Possibly
23) ... closest friend? Probably
24) ... significant other? N/A

25) art (or creative literature)The music of Schoenberg and Ives expresses emotions to me that I understand very well, but I cannot put this amorphous blob of emotions into words if I tried, so I do not see a practical aspect to it other than using it as a musical influence. Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged was the single largest influence in guiding me intellectually, though now I'm generally busy realizing the holes in her philosophy, so I suppose the influence still drives me.
26) spirituality :lol:
27) God :lol:
28) everyone (or almost everyone) I meet Very much so.

1) Yes
2) No
3) No
4) No
5) Yes (me, ha!)

6) No
7) Yes
8) No

9) No
10) No
11) No
12) I got 99 problems but a bitch used to be one

13) Yes
14) Yes
15) Yes
16) Yes
17) No
18) Yes
19) Yes
20) Yes

21) No
22) Yes
23) Yes
24) 99 problems

25) Yes
26) Unsure...
27) No
28) Yes

zabu of nΩd;10369387 said:
What's ambiguous about them?

Define biology/influence
Prediction or mere pattern recognition? There is a very superficial level of "prediction" that would not be amazing at all, say, if I always went shopping on the same day at the same place and generally bought the same perishables/foodstuffs/etc.
Define love
Define afterlife and consciousness
Define predictions

Yeah, i spent a lot of time trying to work out the ambiguities and misleading language i spotted, but i also wanted to keep the survey brief and understandable by the average person, so i took some shortcuts. I guess you guys demonstrated its limitations pretty well, haha.

Do you believe that...

9) ... mother?
10) ... father?
11) ... closest friend?

Do you believe that...

21) ... mother?
22) ... father?
23) ... closest friend?

26) spirituality
27) God

1-8 yes
9-12 no
13-20 yes
21-24 no

as for part 3
art and spirituality are very important
i believe in the universe having a "first cause" but i don't believe in a judeo-christian-type-deity
interacting with people and observing other people's psyches is necessary to be able to understand one's own

1-8 yes
9-12 no
13-20 yes
21-24 no

as for part 3
art and spirituality are very important
i believe in the universe having a "first cause" but i don't believe in a judeo-christian-type-deity
interacting with people and observing other people's psyches is necessary to be able to understand one's own

didnt_read_homo_black_guy_gif.gif

zoQia.gif

berneydidnotread.gif

2j3fdiae3232.gif

yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Do you believe that...
1) No.
2) No.
3) Yes.
4) No.
5) Yes.

6) No.
7) Yes.
8) No.

9) No
10) Yes
11) Unsure
12) Yes

Do you believe that...
13) Yes
14) Yes
15) Yes
16) Yes
17) Yes
18) Yes
19) Yes
20) Yes; however the answers should all be obvious

21) No
22) Yes
23) Yes
24) Yes

25) Yes
26) Unsure
27) No
28) Yes

Do you believe that...

no

no

Yes, but only if it actually worked.

no

no

Yes

Yes

Unsure

9) ... mother?

no

10) ... father?

unsure

11) ... closest friend?

no

no

Do you believe that...

Yes

yes

Yes

Unsure

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

21) ... mother?

no

22) ... father?

no

23) ... closest friend?

Yes

no

26) spirituality
27) God

Answers in bold.

I feel that these kinds of questions are way more fun when you also explain your answer. So thats what I have done.

Do you believe that...

- Yes and no. I believe culture, surrounding and biology all plays big parts. This is apparently quite unusual today when most believe its only the surroundings and culture that plays a role.

Yes, we can predict peoples decisions rather accurately. And now Im not speaking of a "what if" scenatio of "if we knew all of this and all of this and cimbined them we would get". Just go to your workplace or school - you already have a good idea how people react even before they do.

I dont think so because thats a too specific prediction with to many angles to it.

No, I dont think so.

Since I dont believe the world to be totally pre-destined I'd say no (with the part "without prior knowledge of the circumstances or odds involved" weighing heavily on my answer). Were it not for the "no prior knowledge" I would say yes to an extent.

Yes, the world is what it is. There is probably a definite answer (not saying my answers are proven to be definite though).

Perhaps, but as far as I know we havent had any experience with this as a factor so we cant know that.

No, one could go by in life just fine without ever thinking of this.

9) ... mother? Dont know.
10) ... father? Dont know.
11) ... closest friend? Dont know.
12) ... significant other? Have none.

Do you believe that...

Im not American so I wouldnt know.

Im not American so I wouldnt know.

Yes, I believe most politicans do this more or less. Its a part of the political game. Weighing interests and then make the decisions appear to be good for the greatest amount of people.

Yes, all governments do! Its stupid to think otherwise. History books are the best example. They are written from within a certain paradigm. The postive aspects of history (in relation to the nation) are emphasized and the negative are demonized. Governments shape the education system in a way that makes the nation, or the particular cultural sphere look good. They hardly strive for a totally objective perception of their place.

Dont know.

Dont know.

Yes, see my answer to question 16. Even the tv networks that claim to be objective are steeped in ideology where some values are being accepted and some rejected and this is mirrored in their work in how some are allowed to speak others are not or just in the choice of what to report and in what way it is reported.

No, nott for life as such - you can live fine without knowing things like this. I do believe its important to understand your political surroundings though and realize its not always what they claim it is.

21) ... mother? Dont know.
22) ... father? Probably not.
23) ... closest friend? Dont know.
24) ... significant other? Not apliciable.

Yes!

26) spirituality

I dont like the terminology but I am mystically inclined. Thats perhaps a yes.

27) God

Again, I dislike religious terminology but God is so much more of a clear picture in comparison to spirituality (which can mean a little of this and a little of that) so I'd say no. The closest thing I would come is my interest and belief in something like the tao, shunyata, primeval chaos and other concepts that are related in traditional religions and philosophies. I would never say that either of these concepts are a God though or even godlike.

28) everyone (or almost everyone) I meet.

No, not the people I usually see every day (colleagues). Friends to an extent though.

Do you believe that...
no
no
no
yes
yes

no
possbily/unsure/yes?
yes

9) ... mother?
no
10) ... father?
yes
11) ... closest friend?
no
no

Do you believe that...
yes
yes
yes
no
no
yes
yes
yes

21) ... mother?
no
22) ... father?
yes
23) ... closest friend?
yes
yes

yes
26) spirituality
yes
27) God
yes
no