Seventh Wonder FAQ

AndreasBlomqvist

Mr. Bassman
Apr 19, 2008
www.seventhwonder.nu
Hi guys!

I am preparing to set up a FAQ for the new website. I will go through past interviews and e-mails and include the most common questions and add them to the list.

I just thought I'd give you all a chance to influence the list.

Please post any questions or thoughts in this thread and I'll include them if I believe they may be of interest to other people.

Remember that you can direct the questions to the band as a whole or directly to any specific member and I'll make sure the intended member answers the question.

Ok -thanks for the help!

Rough crowd, eh?

This is where we're at right now....

Seventh Wonder FAQ

When and how did Seventh Wonder come to life and how did the members hook up?

Andreas Blomqvist and Johnny met in a Pantera/Machine Head type band called Blue Man Down with Björn Grönqvist and Micke Ingelin 1996. Johnny later left that band to start in a power metal band called Euphoria with Micke Ingelin, Magnus Lindblom and Jocke Borgman. While both of them still played in Blue Man Down, Andreas asked Johnny to help out in Andreas’ own band, Explicity, because they had a gig coming up and no drummer –this was in 1997. Andreas continued with Explicity after that with Carl-Johan Sillén (now in Slowlife) on drums and Marcus Sundquist on lead guitar and Jonatan Karlman on rhythm guitar through 1998. Johnny went off to play with Euphoria for a while but that band fell apart due to the band members’ different levels of ambition.

Magnus Lindblom started a new band called Mankind, to carry on what was started with Euphoria and that started to take form sometime around the end of ’98 or early ‘99. He recruited Jon Björk, a very skilled guitarist who had studied at Musicians Institute in Hollywood earlier. Magnus brought Johnny with him from Euphoria and also recruited Johan Liefvendahl. Johan studied at Rytmus at that time which was around the start of 1999, a high school with focus on musical education. Johan had earlier put together a project at Rytmus which was called Kinky Hotpants for which Magnus had auditioned. That’s where they met and for the formation of Mankind Magnus remembered Johan and got him to join Mankind.

In the early spring of 1999, while Andreas B was doing his military service, Johnny called him up and asked if he wanted to audition for the position as bass player for Mankind, as they had tried out a couple of bass players earlier that weren’t quite right.
Andreas did so and got the gig around March of ’99. During the spring of 2000 Jon quit the band due to differences in musical preferences and later that year Magnus quit the band, and since he was an instrumental part of the band Mankind was officially over.

Johan, Johnny and Andreas decided to stay together and initially called Neverland they wrote Day by Day, what was later to become Walking tall and the track Seventh Wonder during the fall of 2000. With just the three of them and only one guitarist the need for a keyboard player became more evident. Around the same time Andreas Söderin had quit a previous band because the band members weren’t much into the more technical stuff which was absolutely what Andreas wanted to do since he had quite recently fallen in love with Dream Theater. Through a mutual friend of his and Johnny’s, Zoran Kukulj, Andreas came to the old rehearsal room in Bromma and liked what he heard enough for him to want to come back again. Since there was already another Andreas in the band Andreas S was promptly named Kyrt, after his keyboard which was a Kurzweil at that time. Seventh Wonder was born.

After searching for singers for ages, and after first frontman Andi had come and gone, the band was lost again. Kyrt remembered a singer who had sung just a few phrases on a project he did with a friend. That was Tommy who had just recorded his first hard rock/metal recordings ever with the band Vindictiv. When the guys in Seventh Wonder heard the vocals on the Vindictiv demo they knew that they had struck gold, if they could only convince him to come and join the band. An audition was set up and Tommy sung In the Blink of an eye and Temple in the storm. The chemistry was definitely there and Tommy joined Seventh Wonder in February of 2005, four full moths before Become was even released. The rest is, as they say, history…

What is the meaning behind the band name ‘Seventh Wonder’?

There is none! The band name Seventh Wonder was a suggestion from Andreas Blomqvist after the band had found out that the band name Neverland was already taken. It was one suggestion among a few others and it was the one that the rest of the band liked the most –so it was adopted as the new band name.

Does Seventh Wonder have any messages in their lyrics, like an overall theme?

No, every song is it’s own entity with a few exceptions. There are no hidden meanings and no agenda that the band pushes for. There are no political or religious views that the band as a whole stands for.

Is Seventh Wonder a Christian band?

No. Again, different members of Seventh Wonder have different views on both politics and faith and the band is detached from any such labels.

What is the song “Waiting In The Wings” about?

It is the continuation of the story that started on the song “Like him” from the band’s first album. As Andreas Blomqvist describes on the band’s forum
“Ok, the long one...
It is the continuing story I started in the song "Like Him" off of the first album. In so many words that song was about a boy, or a prince or something growing up in his father’s castle in small country somewhere a long time ago, and his father is an evil oppressor. He was of course raised the same way, not to care for the "commoners", but an encounter with a girl in rags outside the palace walls made him swear "I won't be like him!". So he chooses a different path and emerges as a light in the darkness.

In WITW we again join this boy, now a man, his father dead and he himself in rule of the kingdom. However, nothing turned out the way he wanted. The first verse tells us how he suppressed the feelings of the somewhat naive boy he once was and how he is troubled by that, the young boy accusing him in his mind "you have broken your word!". He tries to explain to himself and justify his actions by pushing the blame away on circumstances and others. Like that the grown up world is never as simple as a child's world. The real world is filled with compromises, deals, expectations, policies etc and subdued by those circumstances he became his father in some sense, albeit with a conscience.

Bridge: Every time he looks in the mirror he sees his father and that just tears him up. And when growing up, starting down this path he was pushed by his father’s old councils etc and time and again he said to himself "ok, but only this time! Later, I will fix it -I promise" and that's what is referred to in the bridge with the line "time is no longer on your side". Like, he's there now, he did become his father and he's just as bad as him.
Chorus: Still the legacy of his father rules, and he is just a frightened child crying in solitude, not knowing how to break free.

In verse two, he recollects his upbringing and thinks about his old promises. Again he just cries that he was an ignorant fool, oblivious to the ways of the world, "only a fool thinks he can control his destiny", so this is the part where he feels really sorry for himself....

<loooong music passage>

He then realizes that he's just been pushed around and been too weak. He now rages against his father’s memory and that his father has always been lurking there in the shadows, or waiting in the wings, ruling him even after his death.
-But he won't follow him, enough is enough!
The line "closer to heaven I fail" means simply that he is older and with less time to live, he still fails to shake off his past.

How it turned out?

We'll see.... ”.

Is there an overall theme on the album Waiting In The Wings?

No. All songs were written separately and the lyrical duties were shared by Andreas B and Tommy.

What are the band’s influences?

Very different for all the members of the band but this is a fairly good list
Andreas B: Iron Maiden, Metallica, Yngwie Malmsteen, Talisman, Black Sabbath, Symphony X, Dream Theater
Johan: Europe, Extreme, Freak Kitchen, Harem Scarem, Talisman, Yngwie Malmsteen, Dream Theater
Tommy: Jorn Lande, Sonata Arctica, Michael Jackson, Dream Theater
Kyrt: Dream Theater, ACT, Spock’s Beard
Johnny: Helloween, Symphony X, Dream Theater

How does the band write their music?

Usually Andreas, Johan or Tommy brings and idea to the rehearsal room. Ideas are tried and either kept or discarded as the band works together to arrange the music and make it interesting. The degree of completeness varies a whole lot when a new idea is brought before the band. Sometimes almost all parts for all instruments are written already and sometimes it’s merely a collection of riffs. In the earlier days, more work was done together but with recording schedules and time being a limiting factor the band has been forced to do more work individually. This is not necessarily something they prefer though.

Will Seventh Wonder tour __________(place any country here)?

We don’t know –but we certainly want to!
Today with record sales plummeting due to illegal downloading, the smaller bands that are on small labels can hardly ever get any financial tour support. This means that the most likely way you can get Seventh Wonder to come and play where you live is to write to festivals and similar to make them book Seventh Wonder. That is the most probable course of events, unless a spot as an opening act for a larger band opens up.
You can make a difference!

I would appreciate if u could include a list of your gear.
Both instruments and amps and effects

Will Seventh Wonder tour __________(place any country here)?

We don&#8217;t know &#8211;but we certainly want to!
Today with record sales plummeting due to illegal downloading, the smaller bands that are on small labels can hardly ever get any financial tour support. This means that the most likely way you can get Seventh Wonder to come and play where you live is to write to festivals and similar to make them book Seventh Wonder. That is the most probable course of events, unless a spot as an opening act for a larger band opens up.
You can make a difference!

OMFG!!! maaaan this is an excelent idea!!!
here in colombia there's a very nice festival, is a 3 days festival called rock al parque("rock in the park" or somthing like that)and is always full of peple i'd say is the best way for bands to be known, because since it's free, is always full, but, on the other hand, here in colombia, people doesn't like a lot progressive rock....they think is boring...but anyway, i think that would be a great opportunity for you gyus to be known in here, unfortunately, this year's festival is just in about 1 week, so, I don't really think there's a lot to be done....and anyway you have the italian tour, so, it's a little late now, but, I'll make everything humanly posible for you gyus to play in here:worship:

I found this one in another faq? Maybe something for you?

What were the band members previous jobs/what jobs got them the revenue needed to get the equipment to start a band?

What equipment do you use, like what bass and strings, cymbals and sticks for the drummer, etc.

Talk about former bands and side projects if any!

Alan

Demorest, Ga. USA

This is a question mostly for Johan, but I'd definitely appreciate your input, Andreas.

Can you just give me a breakdown of your playing technique? Specifically aimed at your picking technique? What are some of the key things that allow you to maximize your speed and skill?

Hi! Use a metronome and start very, very slowly. Alot of people think they know how to play fast but if you take a closer look how they play a certain lick/riff at a slowler tempo they can´t play it at all. So I think it´s very important to synchronize your left and right hand, I mean try to focus on both your hands together. Take 2 note close to each other (let say we take C and D). The first note we will play will be a C followed by 3 D´s. Repeat. The imortant thing when you play this is to exaggerate the C with your right hand (if you´r right-handed ie) so that you will hear the the rhythm clearly. And be sure that you don´t change your way of holding your pic when you start to play the "lick" fast. Remember to start the exercise in a slow tempo. It´s a quite boring exercise but it will help you to develop a great technique.
Good luck! -Johan

Hi! Use a metronome and start very, very slowly. Alot of people think they know how to play fast but if you take a closer look how they play a certain lick/riff at a slowler tempo they can´t play it at all. So I think it´s very important to synchronize your left and right hand, I mean try to focus on both your hands together. Take 2 note close to each other (let say we take C and D). The first note we will play will be a C followed by 3 D´s. Repeat. The imortant thing when you play this is to exaggerate the C with your right hand (if you´r right-handed ie) so that you will hear the the rhythm clearly. And be sure that you don´t change your way of holding your pic when you start to play the "lick" fast. Remember to start the exercise in a slow tempo. It´s a quite boring exercise but it will help you to develop a great technique.
Good luck! -Johan

thanks for the reply!

here's a more specific question:

can you describe the mechanics of picking, as you see them? here's an example. The Malmsteen/Michael Romeo style of picking, (which I view as very similar to yours) in which the thumb is flat, or if anything the knuckle is popped inward (like a hitch-hiker's thumb) and you strike the string with the trailing edge of the pick.

or more of an Alexi Laiho style of picking in which the thumb joint is angled out, away from the body of the guitar, and you strike the string with the leading edge of the pick.

why one over the other? pros vs. cons? thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Andreas, would you care to go into the mechanics of your plucking technique? I assume you usually use 3 fingers, but what about the angle of your fingers, and the length of your nails?

Hi!

I've been getting somewhat more sloppy over the years, but my goal when practising is always to use strictly alternate picking. Especially when playing descending lines! :heh:

I always use ring-middle-index-ring-middle-index etc when I use three fingers. The only exception is when I play arpeggios during which I use my thumb, but that's another story.

I always anchor my thumb at a lower string or the pickups and I change its position when changing strings, that is, I don't always keep the thumb at the pickup and stretch my hand but try to keep it in as similar position as possible always.

The other important thing when playing with three fingers in "non-triplet" parts is to make sure to move the stress so that it always is on the same note. That is, if you are playing 16th notes you need to make sure that the emphasis is not always on, let's say the ring finger as that will rotate throughout each group of four notes, thus making the 16th note pattern unclear and muddy. That is however awefully difficult and very boring to practise but still a necessity.

Good luck!

Yeah, I'm still trying to get down the strictly alternating pattern when playing descending runs, it's always so tempting just to rake the notes. When plucking the ascending part of an arpeggio, do you use thumb, ring, middle, index or thumb, index, middle, ring?
Also, how do you like your action/bass setup? I seem to notice you get a Myung-esque clacking when playing on the lower strings, which seems to come hand in hand with a really low action.
Thanks Heaps.

thanks for the reply!

here's a more specific question:

can you describe the mechanics of picking, as you see them? here's an example. The Malmsteen/Michael Romeo style of picking, (which I view as very similar to yours) in which the thumb is flat, or if anything the knuckle is popped inward (like a hitch-hiker's thumb) and you strike the string with the trailing edge of the pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EolGC5LrBCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PG2804ggsI0

or more of an Alexi Laiho style of picking in which the thumb joint is angled out, away from the body of the guitar, and you strike the string with the leading edge of the pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UGVkDywxKk

why one over the other? pros vs. cons? thanks!

bump?

omg man!! that'd be the most amazing thing ever!!!
and the most difficult to do, isn't it?

I think SW would do an awesome 20 plus minute epic. I love those kinds of songs, because you have a lot of time to develop and execute mind blowing instrumental sections, and SW can certainly do that! What I hate though, is when there is singing for almost the whole 20 minutes! That gets old really fast. A Change of Seasons, In The Presence of Enemies, Divine Wings of Tragedy, and The Odyssey are wonderful 20 plus minute songs! They all have the right balance of singing and instrumentation IMO...

^^ Yes they have - except for the wanking middle part in "In the Presence.."
(I absolutely detest that part).

Don't make a 20minute-song because you want to make a 20minute-song. It's fine if a song develops during the songwriting sessions but don't make it that long with no sense (read:wanking) at all.
By the way, hearing Tommy for 20 minutes isn't a crime........:)

^^ Are you referring to the end of part one when you say wanking in the middle? I think that part is a tremendous unison section.

Anyway, definitely agree with you on don't make a 20 minute song just because you want to. The song will and should ultimately dictate length IMO.

^^ You're right, I should have been more specific.

I was talking about " In the Presence ....part 2".
The part which starts at 9:18 is just not good (they've done that part before in a similar way - TMOLS), it gets worse at 9:57 and I really think that the part which starts at 10:32 is the worst piece of music they've ever written.

Freaks me out everytime I hear it - the end of the song makes a bit up for it though.......... I like 'Systematic Chaos', it's got some awesome moments, but it wasn't the cd I was hoping for.