Films with philosophical/ideological value

Breaking the Waves (challenges old-fashion Christian ideals)
Most Ingmar Bergman films.
Manufacturing Consent
Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth

Darth Kur said:
All one has to do is look at present day society to see that their ploy is working.
err, ploy? i'm not following you either. i don't really love AHX but i hardly believe it to be the figurehead of a vast conspiracy, the nature of which you claim to understand but won't impart to the rest of us.

cthulufhtagn said:
err, ploy? i'm not following you either. i don't really love AHX but i hardly believe it to be the figurehead of a vast conspiracy, the nature of which you claim to understand but won't impart to the rest of us.

I've found out from past experience that when I do come right out and say it all in plain english my only reward is hostility, scorn and an utter disregard for anything I might further say on any subject.
So fuck it, I've already said more than I should've. It really is pointless to think such enormous odds can be overcome. Especially when the vast majority can't even discern the blatantly obvious that is right before them on a daily basis. This is the last I shall speak on this subject.

Oh Darth Kur, I know exactly what you have in mind: paranoid, anti-semitic conspiracy theories. No really, please enlighten us good man. I mean, none of us could have possibly agreed with the underlying theme of American History X without selling our souls to the ZOG machine, right?

Yeah, I liked that movie's theme regardless of the the suspension of reality required to accept its plotline. The point remains true, as Demiurge so succinctly provided above.

speed said:
The Barbarian Invasions by Denys Arcand
that film was the best i've seen in a long time and is about the only one I would have recommended if it wasn't done so already- though admittedly i do not watch films so often (this is because there are mostly crappy films or bad screen adaptations of a book).

No one here mentioned Brazil from Terry Gilliam (also check out Monty Pythons, they may look like a bunch of morons, but they know very well what they ridicule), Cronenbergs shit is also really good (Existenz for example), I like most of Finchers, Kurosawas (Dreams of Akira Kurosawa, thats the shit), Lynchs, Kieslowskis, Tarkowskis films. The first part of Matrix was ok too.