Final 2 Headliners

Rezz: You realise Within Temptation has been very accessable this past year, right?

I saw their short set when they came through opening for Lacuna Coil but I wouldn't call them "very accessable," Their headlining tour was very short and didn't come anywhere me. Like I said though, I doubt they will get one of the slots no matter how much I would love to see them.

I was thinking of this scenario at work today. NOCTURNAL RITES headlining Friday night because of the word of mouth high praise at the Chicago Powerfest last year and many including myself have been clamoring incessantly on this forum for them to play next year. As for Saturday...BLIND GUARDIAN. Why? Well, they fit the returning band criteria and I'm more than positive they are the non-controversial type of band Glenn mentioned in the thread of his PP9 lineup decisions. Also, I remember a while back BG saying they had a symphonic album coming out in 2008, if that project is still in the works. So, maybe they could perform a couple of these tunes with the string section like EVERGREY used last year. And, their earlier albums have been remastered. A little buzz going there, too. Perhaps Imaginations or Nightfall played in their entirety. Both of these bands I believe fit the bill nicely and would please way more than disappoint. Just my thoughts. Sorry if anyone else posted on this already.
Ooorrrr...ICED EARTH on Friday and BLIND GUARDIAN Saturday with Jon Schaffer and Hansi Kursch performing as DEMONS & WIZARDS for a few tunes during the BG set. I'm sure this situation is controversy free and is that little something special Glenn likes to throw at us each year.

Helloween and Gamma Ray
Other candidates: Blind Guardian, Rhapsody
Any combination of these four with the bands already anounce would be a Dream Concert.

Also, I remember a while back BG saying they had a symphonic album coming out in 2008, if that project is still in the works. So, maybe they could perform a couple of these tunes with the string section like EVERGREY used last year..

Slight bit of confusion I think you've got going there. The Orchestral (read: instrumental - not metal) album has been in the works for going on 3 years now, and no one really knows if it's ever actually going to see the light of day. Also, it's been deemed a side project involving only Hansi and Andre, with virtually nothing to do with Blind Guardian. Wether or not this CD will ever actually be released is another story.

All of that aside, I'd LOVE to see BG in a headline spot.

I would love it, but it probably doesn't make a ton of sense from a business standpoint because of the almost 100% overlap in their fanbase. If they were to do something special like let Kai sing some WoJ material, that would be a different story.

If the fest is going to sell out, then overlap makes no difference from a business standpoint. I can't see booking Gamma Ray and Helloween as headliners hurting the ticket sales.

If the fest is going to sell out, then overlap makes no difference from a business standpoint. I can't see booking Gamma Ray and Helloween as headliners hurting the ticket sales.

The point I was trying to make was just that. The festival is more likely to sell out if the two headliners appeal to different sorts of fans. The headliners are the major draw for the casual fan (remember there are hundreds of people who attend PP who never set foot in the forums), and if they don't like Gamma Ray, they probably don't like Helloween either, and aren't going to attend the festival. This is why Progpower has twelve bands playing and not just one, to appeal to different people.

Slight bit of confusion I think you've got going there. The Orchestral (read: instrumental - not metal) album has been in the works for going on 3 years now, and no one really knows if it's ever actually going to see the light of day. Also, it's been deemed a side project involving only Hansi and Andre, with virtually nothing to do with Blind Guardian. Wether or not this CD will ever actually be released is another story.

All of that aside, I'd LOVE to see BG in a headline spot.
From what I read quite a while ago, it is going to be called a Blind Guardian recording and it is/was supposed to be out in 2008. I didn't just make this up or pull it out of the air. This is what I read. It will just have no guitars on it. Just Hansi and an orchestra.

Check this out here. Two different interviews about a year old on the orchestral album.

Metal Asylum: What's that you said an orchestral album?

Andre: Yes, this is something Hansi and I have been working on since 1998 and the songwriting is almost done. We just need time to record it in the proper way which is difficult because we have never worked with a real orchestra before and everything works completely different. When we finish this tour behind "A Twist in the Mist", which is in about a year we want to start production and maybe release it in 2008.

Metal Temple: Orchestral album?

Andre: "Yes, this is material we are writing the last eight years and we have never found the time to release the album. But now we have almost finished the songwriting and we've started the production with our producer Charlie Bauerfeind and Viktor Smolski [RAGE] who is involved in the orchestral recordings. The album will be released in 2008."

Metal Temple: We are talking about strictly new material...

Andre: "Yes, new material, just orchestra and Hansi [Kürsch] singing. It is without the heavy metal parts! There are really good things there and I really hope we will tease you with the song we will put on the album."

Doesnt Primal Fear only play large audiences??

RHAPSODY AND NEVERMORE FOR 08!!!

Ya gotta wonder what this guy is smoking...
Neveragain for PP? After screwing Glen over twice?
well whatthefuckdoiknow

The 2 headliners this year will make my decision(because out of all of the bands I only like Andromeda and Riverside(the others bore me)). If it is Pain of Salvation again I will definately be there but I know that won't happen. If Vintersorg is there with Digorgio and Asgeir playing with him(but I know this wouldn't happen either, so I am counting on not going again this year). I would of loved to have gone this year because of after forever, pagans mind, and freak kitchen, but damn finances.

The point I was trying to make was just that. The festival is more likely to sell out if the two headliners appeal to different sorts of fans. .

Booking bands like that would mean the show sells out in 2 weeks instead of 3 weeks...am not sure what the point is here.

The progpower fan base is already built in. Glenn knows what bands will work and what will please people. It follows that he would book bands accordingly.

While selling out in one day might be a terrific ego boost, it makes no sense if the concept of the show is compromised for quicker ticket sales.

sym x and DT are on tour now so it wouldn't be unheard of. also gamma and helloween.

i'd like to see Pain Of Salvation, Sym X, Blind Guardian, Rage, Angra, Tarot, or BEYOND TWILIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'd even like ot see adagio.

wish they would have put wuthering heights in instead of astral doors.

I don't understand how anyone can say that they shouldn't do it, & that it'd not be advantageous for them to do so!? WTF??? They have never headlined this country; their homeland, & it's about damn time that they did! & what better place to start than PPUSA??

& I don't think any Prog nor Power Metal band is too big to play PPUSA! It's for that style, & in case you hadn't noticed, this music REALLY
needs a boost in this country! Alot of older Metal fans who aren't just sheep, & who may not be in-tune w/how much underground stuff is really out there due to some lack of interest in the Internet, or to even know it's there to find period! & thanx to the publicity vehicle that Metal; like all forms of popular music once used-(MTV)-turned it's back on said music; it REALLY needs whatever it takes to make it as accessible as it once was, & should always have been here in the Anti-Metal States of America! & what more fitting band to lead said Revolution than I.E.!? Jon's been at this since years before Grunge ever polluted the airwaves of the world! & around way longer than any of the other underground Metal bands. I say it's overdue that they headline.

I never read anywhere where Glenn said they'd not play there. But, after learning somewhat recently that PPUSA was by invite only; which I STILL don't understand; I E-mailed him & asked why I.E. was never invited; he told me he invited them several times, & they never accepted. I've no clue why. But, their webmaster/MS page runner, said that an offer had yet to be offered that appealed to both parties. Whatever the fuck that means!??

All I, & all I.E. fans can do is hope!

I E-mailed him & asked why I.E. was never invited; he told me he invited them several times, & they never accepted. I've no clue why. But, their webmaster/MS page runner, said that an offer had yet to be offered that appealed to both parties. Whatever the fuck that means!??

I think it means that IE is still asking for too much money. This, despite Jon Schaffer being a 'special guest' at ProgPower one year.

Also, I coulda sworn Iced Earth headlined that tour a while back with Evergrey...?

I think it means that IE is still asking for too much money. This, despite Jon Schaffer being a 'special guest' at ProgPower one year.

Also, I coulda sworn Iced Earth headlined that tour a while back with Evergrey...?

I recently heard about that special guest thing too from their MS page guy. But, I.E. asking for too much $$?? This is I.E. we're talking about, not KI$$, or Aerosmith, or Rush who want $100 a ticket! I can't see Jon saying that.

& yes, I.E. did headline the USA w/E.G., but that was a few years ago, & it was not a nationwide tour! I don't think they even played anywhere in New England, which is where I live. Then again, only GOOD bands to even play my state are Maiden & Queensryche, & it's the same all the time. So, every 3 yrs or so, I get to see a good show locally! Just recently
having found out about B.B. Kings in NYC however, my gf & I saw Sonata Arctica & FireWind there in Sept., 1 week before PPUSA w/my gf! :) good thing too since we couldn't afford PP this year! :( I am still pissed about that!!! But, we are trying for next year, & the openers all sound REALLY fucking good too!

Maybe one day I'll get to see all the other greats to grace PPUSA: EverGrey, Pagan's Mind, Blind Guardian, Sym X, etc.,....maybe!???