hey, what about Helloween?

TBJ

Dec 5, 2002
Carrboro, NC
Visit site
I bet they would charge too much to be on PPVII but really guys, besides them, how many possible "headliners" do we have left to see on PP? Besides bands that have already been on PP of course..and I don't mean obscure reunions and older bands that have no fans left.

I mean "headliners" as in "bands that are on the same league as the past PP headliners".

I'm up for Sonata Arctica, Dragonforce, hell, even finnish power/viking metal bands like Wintersun, Ensiferum and the like, but we need Headliners people!!:headbang:

Well Primal Fear would be a good one as would Iced Earth, but other than that I cant really think of any other than impossibles. (ex: Demons and Wizards, Ayeron etc.)

I saw Primal Fear in Jersey one year and let me tell you...I am a fan, but they blew away any expectations I had/would have had with their killer show. Nothing fancy but just pure, raw POWER that kicks you in the teeth, think Judas Priest in their prime "live show" wise. It was awesome.

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
..as would Iced Earth, but other than that I cant really think of any other than impossibles.
The only way Iced EArth would be an acceptable candidate for PP would be a Matt Barlow reuinion. No way would we let Ripper Owens rape Barlows material 1 more night than he needs to.

urinalcakemix said:
The only way Iced EArth would be an acceptable candidate for PP would be a Matt Barlow reuinion. No way would we let Ripper Owens rape Barlows material 1 more night than he needs to.

sorry for double post but...Does Iced Earth even exist anymore? I was a total fanboy back when Barlow was in the band, heck, one of the reasons I had so much fun at PPIII was because I got to meet Jon Schaffer and Richard Christy, but now? Iced Earth has become a mess, all the bandmembers left and in my estimation, Ripper does not cut it, either as a singer or as a frontman for Iced Earth.

I mean, Ripper sings fine and all but part of what made Iced Earth stand out from the crowd was the highly-dramatic vocals of Mr. Barlow..

TBJ said:
sorry for double post but...Does Iced Earth even exist anymore? I was a total fanboy back when Barlow was in the band, heck, one of the reasons I had so much fun at PPIII was because I got to meet Jon Schaffer and Richard Christy, but now? Iced Earth has become a mess, all the bandmembers left and in my estimation, Ripper does not cut it, either as a singer or as a frontman for Iced Earth.

I mean, Ripper sings fine and all but part of what made Iced Earth stand out from the crowd was the highly-dramatic vocals of Mr. Barlow..
Ripper raped, murdered, and raped Iced Earth. In that order.

urinalcakemix said:
Ripper raped, murdered, and raped Iced Earth. In that order.

wow, that is kinda hard but in an existensial sort of way...:tickled:

By the way, yes, Barlow was THE man for this band. Now they are just a collection of triplets backed up by meaningless double-bass and someone screaming on top of it all.

Wow.....

....While I loved Matts vocals, I think Ripper kicks balls to the wall ass and will do more so when the music is written with him in mind. Most of TGB was written with Barlow in mind (if I am not mistaken).

As far as Ripper doing Barlows stuff...when I saw them I thought he did a killer job on most of it. There are definate vocal differnces between the two with Matt being a better lower register vocalist and Ripper being so on the upper end...and while Ripper does lack some of the emotion because of it I'm more than happy with Ripper doing vocals for them. A much better fit for the band and for him than was the Priest gig.

I'd be thrilled to see them again, PPVII or anywhere else.

TBJ said:
I heard it and it's safe to say that at least CD1 is a classic in the making.

Really? I have heard it and I am not sure about that for me. What I found sort of funny was the selling points listed on this cd over at cdinzane.

(HELLOWEEN - "KEEPER OF THE SEVEN KEYS, THE LEGACY ( 2CD )"
PREORDER NOW, AVAILABLE HALLOWEEN 2005!!!
THE SMASH HIT FOR HELLOWEEN MAKES ITS APPEARANCE THIS HALLOWEEN!!! 2 CD, 13 TRACK RELEASE WILL SMOKE THE REST OF THE SEVEN KEYS COLLECTION!!! LONG AWAITED AND TONS SOLD DURING PREORDER ALREADY!!! TRICK OR TREAT...)

What! Smoke the KOTSK part 1 & 2, WHAT! Come on Zane.

Seriously, I had Keeper part 1 when it first came out and was a huge Helloween fan through part 2. Then you all know what happened.....bubbles go ape and all that crap. I don't think they have ever returned to true form. Hell, early Edguy sounded more like Helloween than Helloween did. I sill have most of the Helloween albums and would like to see them.

TBJ said:
I bet they would charge too much to be on PPVII but really guys, besides them, how many possible "headliners" do we have left to see on PP?

Hammerfall
Rhapsody
Running Wild
Manowar
Iron Savior
Grave Digger
Steel Prophet

:headbang:

okay so they don't totally fit all the criteria of reunions, etc.. but I'd love
to see these bands and not to mention Helloween!!

Some cool wild cards would be
Tristania
Candlemass
Sentenced.. er.. didn't they break up?

okay enough from me :dopey:

haha If Glenn could get a Helloween reunion show with Kai and Kiske performing, there would be no more question... Glenn is either Christ returned, or the antichrist hehe. But the new Helloween CD does sound promising. Certainly overall better than their last few albums. I had the pleasure of seeing Helloween twice in Los Angeles and both times it was a great time. Maybe if they could work a US tour into the prog power time (which is certainly possible with their touring schedule going into Europe, Japan through March/april)?

King Lek said:
Wow.....

....While I loved Matts vocals, I think Ripper kicks balls to the wall ass and will do more so when the music is written with him in mind. Most of TGB was written with Barlow in mind (if I am not mistaken).

As far as Ripper doing Barlows stuff...when I saw them I thought he did a killer job on most of it. There are definate vocal differnces between the two with Matt being a better lower register vocalist and Ripper being so on the upper end...and while Ripper does lack some of the emotion because of it I'm more than happy with Ripper doing vocals for them. A much better fit for the band and for him than was the Priest gig.

I'd be thrilled to see them again, PPVII or anywhere else.

If you mean Ripper bringing everything up TWO octaves, and raping ALL emotion out of the vocal performance, thus destroying IE classics, then yes, he KILLED!

I don't think Ripper gets enough credit for what he does. With Priest, he came in and they did Jugulator, that album kicked ass, and then he did Demolition, that album wasn't as good, but is it fault of Ripper? Coincedentally he has the luck to join a band when they're going to release a downgrade!

Though I would like to see Barlow in Iced Earth live (never seen them though), and Primal Fear would be great live. I think one dream I have is to see Dark Moor reunited with Elisa Martin and playing the states (*ahem*progpower). They probably wouldn't be able to pull off a headliner, but they could have a slot like Conception.

I would also love to see Helloween, they're one of my favorite bands, but to be honest, I want to see Helloween with Kiske.

What about Vision Divine and/or Labyrinth? What about Luca Turilli? And while you're at it, throw in RHAPSODY as the almighty headliners because that's what I was getting to, really. ;)

Just received the new Helloween in the mail, review in proccess.... It's good so far, we shall see..... I'd love to see 'em at ProgPower...

FatesFan said:
Really? I have heard it and I am not sure about that for me. What I found sort of funny was the selling points listed on this cd over at cdinzane.

(HELLOWEEN - "KEEPER OF THE SEVEN KEYS, THE LEGACY ( 2CD )"
PREORDER NOW, AVAILABLE HALLOWEEN 2005!!!
THE SMASH HIT FOR HELLOWEEN MAKES ITS APPEARANCE THIS HALLOWEEN!!! 2 CD, 13 TRACK RELEASE WILL SMOKE THE REST OF THE SEVEN KEYS COLLECTION!!! LONG AWAITED AND TONS SOLD DURING PREORDER ALREADY!!! TRICK OR TREAT...)

What! Smoke the KOTSK part 1 & 2, WHAT! Come on Zane.

Seriously, I had Keeper part 1 when it first came out and was a huge Helloween fan through part 2. Then you all know what happened.....bubbles go ape and all that crap. I don't think they have ever returned to true form. Hell, early Edguy sounded more like Helloween than Helloween did. I sill have most of the Helloween albums and would like to see them.

Well, I should rephrase what I said, Disc 1 is a classic in the making compared to anything on the andi-era...

now, comparing it to the old shit, hell no.

I dont think the album deserves the "Keeper" name but its the most acomplished music I have heard from them in a looooong time.

TBJ said:
Well, I should rephrase what I said, Disc 1 is a classic in the making compared to anything on the andi-era...

now, comparing it to the old shit, hell no.

I dont think the album deserves the "Keeper" name but its the most acomplished music I have heard from them in a looooong time.

Agreed.