finally got the thickness with the krankenstein+

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
I loved and hated this amp. what I didn't like is that it hardly saturated, you could have maxed the gain and it'd still feel like you play through a clean amp.
I thought the Sweep knob was pretty much useless because with moderate presence settings there was only one tiny position it sounded good in.
Just a tiny bit higher and it was nasal and thin an a notch lower and it was boomy and meh....I pretty much had it set i the same position all the time. I loved the amp for blending but not on its own.
Since I do like the charakter of the amp (especially with passives) I really took some time to learn the amp a bit better today....
and wow, the sweep knob DOES make sense cause it seems like the center frequency of the presence knob really changes with it...I turned it higher and got the tinny nasal shit. Usually I tried compensating with treble and middle because the presence knob's freq is higher...I don't know why I didn't realize this before, but the center freq of the presence knob really changes with the sweep and just by turning it down I got rid of the nasal shit and got a nice and thick saturated tone....why hven't I tried before ???????

it really sound good not only in a blend with another amp now.no clips yet....just wanted to share that I'm in love with my krank again ;)

yeah, will post clips later, just reamping for another project atm.

I don't have a guit with passives here right now, so I guess EMGs will have to suffice.

(I think this amp is the PERFECT matcj for a les paul with passives....that way you'd get the juiciest midrange)

here's a wee clip:

krank

this is far from being perfect cause I set the amp for the passives that have been used on the project I'm just reamping and just used the same settings etc for this quick test using my EMGs.....it's doesn't really have the thickness I had with the passives...would have to adjust settings for the EMGs first.

anyway, just the rough direction...
(no post EQ)

here's a wee clip:

krank

this is far from being perfect cause I set the amp for the passives that have been used on the project I'm just reamping and just used the same settings etc for this quick test using my EMGs.....it's doesn't really have the thickness I had with the passives...would have to adjust settings for the EMGs first.

(no post EQ)

Sounds very good already. Now i wanna hear a clip with passives real bad :)

thanks Lasse! i'm stuck in the same rut. very tight ranges to work with when setting tones. i can't wait to get into the amp room tonight and try that out. i have a Rev1, not the Krankenstein, but mastering that sweep knob is tough with it, too.

Cool! That's why I think it's bollocks that the regular Rev Jr doesn't have a presence control and that's one of the reasons why I went for the Pro... The sweep is one mighty and tricky beast.

here's a wee clip:

krank

(no post EQ)

That's pretty thick. What was the rest of the signal chain?

it's getting better and better, lol.
I had the presence knob way too high all the time.

from off to like 8:30 fuck all happens and from 8:30 to 9:00 it really opens up (kinda like the 5150 between 8 and 9). above 9:00 it's actually too thin and fizzy...I used to have it around 12:00 ;)
(this goes for slightlöy higher sweep settings than I used to have )
I can have the gain on 3-4 now and it feels more saturated than kranked gain did before.

here's a wee clip:

krank

(no post EQ)

Really dig this tone. :heh:

One of the better Krank clips I've heard. Nice one! The sweet spot seems to be a bit challenging to find on these amps. All my friends seem to hate them for how horrid they are prone to sound raw through the cab. Obviously, they need a bit of fiddling around.

One of the better Krank clips I've heard. Nice one! The sweet spot seems to be a bit challenging to find on these amps. All my friends seem to hate them for how horrid they are prone to sound raw through the cab. Obviously, they need a bit of fiddling around.

yeah, I just found a whole new range of tones in it just by tweaking it totally differently from how I't treat any other amp.
I'll post another (better) clip before long

thats one of the best krank clips ive ever heard man
that sounds fucking amazing!