Finally Heard Blackwater Park

I see Blackwater Park perhaps as their all-over strongest release. Quality from start to finish! :Smokedev:

You should try Still Life next, it's a very deep and melancholic album.

Yeah Blackwater Park is awesome. The Leper Affinity is one of my favorite songs ever. However, I do not think it is their best album yet. That award would go to Still Life imo.

Blackwater Park was the first one I got. I love all of it except Dirge for November. I got to see them play the title track live and it was amazing.

The next two I bought were Still Life and Deliverance, both of which I would highly recommend buying next.

Still Life was my starting point and it still stands up as my favorite release. Dreamy guitar harmonies ringing out all over the background and just the most exceptional somber mood. The music is like the illustrations for the story told in the lyrics. Amazing.. </>gush

I'm sorry to say this but you listened to their worst record!!! It's a good release, but by far their worst (in my opinion). That is the only Opeth album I wish I could have produced! I'd have done a lot of different things with that record. First, take Dirge for November off the album and replace it with Still Day and Patterns II for the standard release. Second, I'd shorten the first interlude on BWP. That goes on way too long. Third, shorten The Drapery Falls, great song, (you won't hear me say this often) but way too long. Fourth, add some content into Harvest; good song, but somewhat boring. I would leave Lepper Affinity, Bleak and Funeral Portrait alone, those are all amazing songs as is!

Don't get me wrong, I do like BWP, but I feel it could've been so much better. That and Deliverance, to me, were done the wrong way. I love Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree, but Wilson was way too involved on those records. I wish Wilson only produced Damnation and either Swanö, Nordström or Bogren produced BWP and/or Deliverance.

I'm sorry to say this but you listened to their worst record!!! It's a good release, but by far their worst (in my opinion). That is the only Opeth album I wish I could have produced! I'd have done a lot of different things with that record. First, take Dirge for November off the album and replace it with Still Day and Patterns II for the standard release. Second, I'd shorten the first interlude on BWP. That goes on way too long. Third, shorten The Drapery Falls, great song, (you won't hear me say this often) but way too long. Fourth, add some content into Harvest; good song, but somewhat boring. I would leave Lepper Affinity, Bleak and Funeral Portrait alone, those are all amazing songs as is!

Don't get me wrong, I do like BWP, but I feel it could've been so much better. That and Deliverance, to me, were done the wrong way. I love Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree, but Wilson was way too involved on those records. I wish Wilson only produced Damnation and either Swanö, Nordström or Bogren produced BWP and/or Deliverance.

I think maybe it would have been good to take Dirge off and put Harvest in its place. Harvest is a good song but I always find it comes along a little too soon. But then again it's good to have a break between Bleak and The Drapery Falls. I don't think those bonus tracks would fit anywhere on the album though, and I love how the interlude in BWP is so long!

Deliverance I think had to be a bit rushed so the production wasn't exactly how they wanted it. I think it's good, quite grimy compared to their other albums, but the drum sound could be better - too much reverb for one thing, softens them a bit too much.

Blackwater Park is my favorite Opeth release.

Every song is great, even if Dirge For November is a weak track, it's still quality stuff.

I must concur with opeth_353 here, Dirge Of November is indeed a very awesome song. At first I found it be rather mediocre in comparison to the rest of Blackwater Park, but upon repeated listens I find it to be a shining point on the album. I just think it's more of a Doom song compared to the rest of Blackwater Park and Doom is very cool (though I wouldn't really call Opeth a Doom band despite subject matter).

I think the reason Dirge doesn't sit right with so many people is because rather than an army of riffs, there is only around 8 or 10 different riffs in the song. And if those sit right with you, like they do with me, Dirge is one of your favorites (And a great segue into the masterpiece which follows). Otherwise, the song seem unfulfilling.