Finally Heard Blackwater Park

How the fuck anyone not like Dirge For November? Is it because it's not as much of a rollercoaster as most their songs, and only has three "parts" (acoustic bit, heavy bit, outro)?

The intro has one of Mike's top 5 melodic vocals, the heavy part is so fucking dark and menacing with some of Mike's deepest and most sinister vocals ever, and the lead that begins at 2:43 is so fucking godly it still gives me chills every time I hear it.

And whoever said The Drapery Falls is too long: Go fuck yourself, you sad little cretin.

Vivören;7279449 said:
How the fuck anyone not like Dirge For November? Is it because it's not as much of a rollercoaster as most their songs, and only has three "parts" (acoustic bit, heavy bit, outro)?

The intro has one of Mike's top 5 melodic vocals, the heavy part is so fucking dark and menacing with some of Mike's deepest and most sinister vocals ever, and the lead that begins at 2:43 is so fucking godly it still gives me chills every time I hear it.

And whoever said The Drapery Falls is too long: Go fuck yourself, you sad little cretin.

And you Mister,why not respect different opinions ? :mad:

I'm sorry to say this but you listened to their worst record!!! It's a good release, but by far their worst (in my opinion). That is the only Opeth album I wish I could have produced! I'd have done a lot of different things with that record. First, take Dirge for November off the album and replace it with Still Day and Patterns II for the standard release. Second, I'd shorten the first interlude on BWP. That goes on way too long. Third, shorten The Drapery Falls, great song, (you won't hear me say this often) but way too long. Fourth, add some content into Harvest; good song, but somewhat boring. I would leave Lepper Affinity, Bleak and Funeral Portrait alone, those are all amazing songs as is!

Don't get me wrong, I do like BWP, but I feel it could've been so much better. That and Deliverance, to me, were done the wrong way. I love Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree, but Wilson was way too involved on those records. I wish Wilson only produced Damnation and either Swanö, Nordström or Bogren produced BWP and/or Deliverance.

everyone is entitled to their opinion, but in this case, yours sucks. take dirge off the album, ridiculous. IMO opeth's strongest track to date. it's not technical, but it could make even the scenest of shitty abercrombie dicks cry their eyes out with it's bitter emotional passages.

Opinions are just like assholes. Everbody's got one. Some are big, some are small. Some smell, and some stink of bullshit. This one reeks of decaying whale blubber.

Alas, everybody is entitled to his opinion. Even official idiots with an IQ of 40.

I think Blackwater Park is just about my favourite Opeth album,I'd recommend getting Still Life next.I do envy you,it was very special when I just getting into them,discovering true talent and genuis.

^:erk: thats like saying IV should be without stairway to heaven, or darkside should be without money, or black sabbath should be without NIB, or court of the crimson king should be without epitaph; its just wrong.

Vivören;7279449 said:

+1

I'm sorry to say this but you listened to their worst record!!! It's a good release, but by far their worst (in my opinion). That is the only Opeth album I wish I could have produced! I'd have done a lot of different things with that record. First, take Dirge for November off the album and replace it with Still Day and Patterns II for the standard release. Second, I'd shorten the first interlude on BWP. That goes on way too long. Third, shorten The Drapery Falls, great song, (you won't hear me say this often) but way too long. Fourth, add some content into Harvest; good song, but somewhat boring. I would leave Lepper Affinity, Bleak and Funeral Portrait alone, those are all amazing songs as is!

Don't get me wrong, I do like BWP, but I feel it could've been so much better. That and Deliverance, to me, were done the wrong way. I love Steven Wilson and Porcupine Tree, but Wilson was way too involved on those records. I wish Wilson only produced Damnation and either Swanö, Nordström or Bogren produced BWP and/or Deliverance.

I agree. BWP is the worst so far. And i never liked DFN. Try their old stuff. Also Still life which i believe is their best so far.

whats your deal anyway? WHat did I ever do to you?

What did I ever say to you man? I was referring to the guy who said DFN was shit. Thought it was pretty obvious. Anyway, I agree with you that BWP is awesome, and it is actually my favorite too.

I'd have to say I'm torn, I'm not sure if I like MAYH, SL, or BWP best; they're all great. I personally am somewhat new to Opeth, Deliverance was the first song I heard, and GR was my first album (I actually bought it twice, someone stole my original and then the re-release came out so I bought it again). As far as DFN goes, I have no problem wit hit, I think it has some great melodic lines, just like the rest of BWP, and I agree it makes a great transition into TFP. However I think I read on wiki or something that it's Mendez's least favorite song, so I'm not sure if they'll ever do it live.

I think every Opeth album is unique in the aspect of musical progression, and with each epic release, comes the price paid for criticism. Each release is all a part of the evoutionary beast known as Opeth. Still Life remains close to my heart along with specific tracks from each album for various reasons. Always and evermore.

The extended interlude is perhaps my favourite part of Blackwater Park.
It's as if you're in the middle of nowhere and there is trouble abrewing. You want the heavy to come back in to end the suspense but you have to wait just a little bit longer..