Finally, treating my room acoustically.

yea i just found a place locally that sells 703. It took some time and effort to find but it was totally worth it in the long run. Definitely saved some coin!

You should use your curtain fabric to make a couple traps!! :kickass:

So I've been reading over a ton of old threads on this subject, and the one thing I'm not certain of is how diffusers enter into the equation. Most of what I've seen just suggests using 703/705/equivalent everywhere (corners, sides of mixing position 8 early reflection points, ceiling, etc.), but I've occasionally seen people mention using a diffuser directly behind ones mixing position. So what's the deal? What would a diffuser accomplish?

It breaks up the waves so its not bouncing directly back to your mix position.
Panels of 703 won't do much good in the middle of a wall other than to reduce flutter echo and high frequencies.

There isn't a good cheap way to do diffusion that I know of. The product from Realtraps is pretty impressive.

Well I'm willing to pay, I just wanna make sure I'm paying for the right thing - so your saying that the best bet would be 703/equivalent in the corners and early reflection points, and a diffuser directly behind?

WOW, haha, when I said I was willing to pay, I was speaking relatively - I think I'll stick with a pair of these, but thanks a lot dude! :headbang:

Well I'm willing to pay, I just wanna make sure I'm paying for the right thing - so your saying that the best bet would be 703/equivalent in the corners and early reflection points, and a diffuser directly behind?

Of course, when it comes down to it, the only thing that really matters is if it sounds good to you. But, the general rule of thumb with diffusors is, if your listening position is within 8ft of a diffusor, it' considered an acoustc no-no. Diffusors are better suited for larger rooms, not small rooms. But like I said, as long as it sounds good to you. In my previous location, I didn't like the sound of a total absorption cloud above me/the monitors. So I made a partial absorption diffusor. Random shapes placed in a grid. I called it my "metropolis ceiling". :) Looked cool, and I really liked the way it sounded. Can post a picture later if interested.

Hmmmm, that's really interesting Grywolf, and you better believe I'm gonna be within 8 feet in the rooms I'll be living in! I'm actually thinking about getting those sorta saw-tooth wave-looking Auralex foams to stick above my listening position, cuz I don't wanna deal with hanging an acoustic cloud

EDIT: Been looking at Auralex stuff, and I'm not quite certain what the differences are between a few models. Do you think there would be any sound difference between this, this, and this, and if so, which would be better for the average small studio? Also, would this be better? (it seems like it would be, but the air gaps make me nervous that there might be some turbulence or something, but I guess the ceiling isn't exactly gonna be getting ridiculous SPL's)

Congrats on treating your room.

A HUGE help would be getting those monitors off the desk and onto isolation stands. Your imaging and low mid would clear up greatly. Im sure you have to have to some strange coupling from sitting on the desk.

Hmmmm, that's really interesting Grywolf, and you better believe I'm gonna be within 8 feet in the rooms I'll be living in! I'm actually thinking about getting those sorta saw-tooth wave-looking Auralex foams to stick above my listening position, cuz I don't wanna deal with hanging an acoustic cloud

EDIT: Been looking at Auralex stuff, and I'm not quite certain what the differences are between a few models. Do you think there would be any sound difference between this, this, and this, and if so, which would be better for the average small studio? Also, would this be better? (it seems like it would be, but the air gaps make me nervous that there might be some turbulence or something, but I guess the ceiling isn't exactly gonna be getting ridiculous SPL's)

As promised, here's my "metropolis ceiling" absorptive-diffusor:

http://www.hostfil.es/file/11345/metropolis-ceiling-jpg.html

I had thought about gluing some little toy cars between the buildings and a Godzilla, just to complete the effect. LOL

As for the Auralex stuff, I may get contradicted here, but I believe the 3rd ones will have the most high frequency attenuation, because of the total amount of exposed surface. It's really all about the density of the foam, and the total surface area exposed to the sound. I didn't look at the spec's for those pieces, but I don't really believe there will be THAT much of a difference between them. But if you're looking to go the Aurlex studio foam route...be sure to check out this place first:

http://www.foambymail.com/Wedge.html

Basically the same thing, with the same spec's, but much cheaper. I got this site from someone else's thread here on the board (sorry...don't remember who's). Wish I would have known about this place before treating the rooms at my previous place!