Finally, we see the light....Locust Years is nearly upon us

Dark One said:
Pure sarcastic joking around (like so many of our posts regarding Bathory)
I assumed you were joking, I was just unclear what about. Damn interweb.

Dark One said:
...all I meant was I can't possibly imagine Meshuggah being any better after 1,000 listens than after 1 listen. I, of course, am completely basing that on the simple fact that I can't stand them. :)
Fair enough. I could see how it might take a good number of listens to find their grooves, but once you do, they're quite rewarding. Though, it's completely possible, they're still complete shit.

Zod

General Zod said:
I assumed you were joking, I was just unclear what about. Damn interweb.

I know just what you mean.

Or do I?

MYSTERY POST!

General Zod said:
Fair enough. I could see how it might take a good number of listens to find their grooves, but once you do, they're quite rewarding. Though, it's completely possible, they're still complete shit.

I actually traded in "Chaosphere" (I think that's what it was called) for store credit. It was THAT bad to me - and I hardly ever do that. I listened to it about 4 times and could just never see what people saw in the band - it was just a wall of technical noise to me.

As for your last sentence - LOL

In order for anyone to give an album multiple chances, there has to be something you dig about it on first few listens.

It's very rare for something to go from dislike to like (unless you revisit later in life when your general tastes may have evolved).

JayKeeley said:
In order for anyone to give an album multiple chances, there has to be something you dig about it on first few listens.
I like the technicality of it, but don't hear a discernable groove. I suspect, if I was willing to subject myself to it, for maybe a dozen listens, I'd hear the groove and love the disc. However, at present, I have no such interest.

JayKeeley said:
It's very rare for something to go from dislike to like (unless you revisit later in life when your general tastes may have evolved).
Couldn't agree more.

Zod

JayKeeley said:

With Meshuggah, that simply wasn't the case with me - the only reason I give them multiple chances was because everyone kept telling me how good they were. A similar effect with me and Nile - "In Their Darkened Shrines".

I know, I know, with that last sentence, I just lost all credibility. LOL

General Zod said:
I like the technicality of it, but don't hear a discernable groove. I suspect, if I was willing to subject myself to it, for maybe a dozen listens, I'd hear the groove and love the disc. However, at present, I have no such interest.

I don't hear any type of discerable groove either. Combine that with the fact that I can't even get into the technical aspect of the sound (or the vocals for that matter) and it's a recipe for disaster for yours truly.

If you can listen to something like Morbid Angel's "Altars of Madness", try to launch into Nile's "Nephren Ka". It's like slabs of monolithic egyptian building blocks falling out the heavens and into the tombs of the blind dead.

JayKeeley said:
If you can listen to something like Morbid Angel's "Altars of Madness", try to launch into Nile's "Nephren Ka". It's like slabs of monolithic egyptian building blocks falling out the heavens and into the tombs of the blind dead.

Hmm.... I have no *cough* idea where I can find samples. :loco:

The funny thing is, it's quite possible that an album like The Locust Years will have you appreciate their previous outings even more. Throw on "August Engine part 2" and let it run through "Insect" and "Doomed Parade" and your jaw will hit the floor. Dedicated thread.

great review, probably one of the best of this year.

EDIT: I got chills reading the lyrics in that review, it reminded me of the song, and how fucking awesome it is.
I had to put it on again
Now Playing: Hammers Of Misfortune - "The Locust Years" - The Locust Years [00:17/07:32]

One of my favorite purchases ever.

EDIT2:Mike Scalzi, Jamie Myers and Chewy are all no longer with the band. Scalzi left to focus solely on Slough-Feg, Myers to raise her new baby, and Chewy for work-related matters.

Damnit! I wonder what is going to happen now.....