Finally, we see the light....Locust Years is nearly upon us

General Zod said:
I broke down and ordered this. It better not suck.

Zod

You might want to spend some time with The August Engine and realize it's greatness before you delve into the new one.

Unless you're more into a "heavy metal" mood, then let the The Bastard sink in a little.

Both are good pre-cursors.

Yeah, it's a grower. Actually, ALL HoM albums take fucking ages before they click, especially The Bastard.

Plus reading lyrics really enhances the whole thing, just because the lyrics are fan-bloody-tastic.

jimbobhickville said:
Listening to it on mp3 right now (ordered it last night for $11 at The End, but someone offered mp3s today, so I thought I'd give it a listen).
Damn! I had been waiting on those MP3s and finally gave up when The End had it as a daily special for $10.99.

Zod

The August Engine is surreal, I don't know how it can ever be topped. Thing is, I'm just not sure if we're supposed to be comparing "Locust Years" to "August Engine".

The new one is different. It's more "theatrical" and there's even more of a 70's vibe to it. I've had it for a while and it's really grown on me, but quite honestly, I think I'll end up appreciating all three HoM albums in their own unique way.

All different, but all very much Hammers.

JayKeeley said:
The August Engine is surreal, I don't know how it can ever be topped. Thing is, I'm just not sure if we're supposed to be comparing "Locust Years" to "August Engine".

The new one is different. It's more "theatrical" and there's even more of a 70's vibe to it. I've had it for a while and it's really grown on me, but quite honestly, I think I'll end up appreciating all three HoM albums in their own unique way.

All different, but all very much Hammers.

Good post with which I completely agree with. At first I was comparing it with The August Engine and kind of was pissed off. Then I started to embrace it for what it was after a few listens and, as if I was supposed to like it initially anyways, it has been really growing on me. All three albums are vastly different in aesthetic value but on the other side of the token, all very "Hammers" at the end of the day. This new one definitely has that ambitious 70's theatrical feel to it like you said and is growing on me with each listen. My only beef may be that the production could be a little more rounder/fatter.

I don;t think anything can top The August Engine though, based on my personal preferences.

I'm actually ok with the production. I only wish that Scalzi sang a little more on it, because he seems to be at his peak in the vocals department these days. "Trot out the Dead" could be one of his finest performances ever, for example.

I'm looking forward to a live show where they make a set list from all three albums. Shame Jamie left the band a while back....maybe they could bring back Janis Tanaka?!

Oh yeah, I agree again. I forgot to mention that. Scalzi, being the figurehead he is with us fanboys, should definitely have been blowing his pipes more! I'm still relatively new to this album but I tend to be of the opinion that his finest performance yet was definitely on The August Engine and on Slough Feg's Traveller. I am actually under the initial impression that he isn't belting it out as hard on this new one but that could also be the production affecting my opinion again (he seems buried in the mix). Like I said, I have only listend to it about 5 times thus far which is like a single spin for other bands.

I know I've mentioned his low profile on this album before, but it's even more disappointing after getting my face pasted by the two songs where he does get to display his power before hearing the rest...but that's my only complaint so far, and those harmonies just add to the all-encompassing epicness here...chastity rides! (I still stand by the statement about the title track being the definitive Hammers song, but this one is my early second favorite here...the riffs, fuck me sideways!) Now stop me before I repeat myself about that segue again :)

JayKeeley said:
You might want to spend some time with The August Engine and realize it's greatness before you delve into the new one. Unless you're more into a "heavy metal" mood, then let the The Bastard sink in a little. Both are good pre-cursors.
Given that some feel the new one falls short, bordering on disappointment following TAE, I''ll refrain from doing that before listening to the new one. That way, I'll have less expectations and can approach this more openly.

Zod

Hello you all, I read you often and find your discussions about HAMMERS OF MISFORTUNE stimulating.

For those who don't like the fact that Mike's not singing much on this album, always have in mind that H.O.M. is 100% John Cobbett's project. I think he has stated that in several interviews.
Besides the songwriting dynamics that might have any band's member contributing a bit to the arrangements, H.O.M. music is basically what John C. has in his mind.
It's a long musical travel that began with Unholy Cadaver and it's now expressed by The Locust Years.
So, under this point of view, without diminishing his importance as a singer and the respect he needs, Mike is a "character" in the play Jonh has in mind.

Take "The Bastard": all music (except "The Witch's dance" co-written with Janis) by John Cobbett
"The August Engine" all music (except two co-written with Chewy) by JOhn Cobbett
and "The Locust Years": all music by John Cobbett (except one I can't remember now).

Sometimes, including myself, people tend to identify S.FEG with H.O.M. , when, although with the same players, they're two completely different entities.