Finally, we see the light....Locust Years is nearly upon us

I just got done spinning ths disc again. Conclusion? I don't get it.

"The Locust Years" is, at best, average. The lyrics, throughout, are excellent. The vocal performances are good. I give them points for originallity. The title track and "Trot out the Dead" are both excellent songs. However, the remainder of the songs on this disc hover between solid to painful. I know there's a handful of you that think this band is just brilliant, but I just don't hear it.

Zod

I'm thinking the same thing - uneven disc at best. I love many PARTS of songs, but they are definitely not jellin'... yet. Needs way more time of course.

Doomcifer said:
Yep. Give it more time and youll be squirting.
I may revisit this eventually, but not any time soon. There's too much stuff I enjoy, to waste too much time trying to enjoy a CD. I own all three of the HoM CDs, and don't love any of them. I doubt this will be any different. I'll just add this to my list of bands I "don't get"; Bathory, Kayo Dot, etc.

Zod

no shame at all if a band isn't for you. by my books this doesn't even mean you don't "get" it, just that you've given it a fair shot and haven't enjoyed the output.

Definitely digging the hell out of this. There is a certain majesty to their sound, it's so lush and harmonious - in certain frames of mind this music is simply par excellence. I won't always be in the mood for their style, but when I am, it is immensely satisfying. Perfect for a quiet Sunday morning recuperating from a solo outing to Universal Studios. :kickass:

The lyrics, while undoubtedly well written, clearly conflict with my own points of view on certain issues; however, I respect their points of view, just as I do everyone else around these parts. And seriously, if the lyrics contained "toilet humor level" passages, I'd find them much more offensive than something written from the heart. For that I respect and admire them.

JK, can't thank you enough for the recommendation of these guys.

Jason

General Zod said:
I may revisit this eventually, but not any time soon. There's too much stuff I enjoy, to waste too much time trying to enjoy a CD. I own all three of the HoM CDs, and don't love any of them. I doubt this will be any different. I'll just add this to my list of bands I "don't get"; Bathory, Kayo Dot, etc.

Zod

Yeah, fair enough. Some albums do take a longer while to "click" -- in fact, the more I think about it, the more I realize that some of my fave stuff is music that took months before it started to sink in. Meanwhile, music that worked on one listen typically collects dust after 2 weeks. Funny that.

That said, of course you have to like something about it in the first place, or suspect there is potential, in order for you (anyone) to stick with it. For example, "The August Engine" really does get better with each listen but that album transcends mortality.

Dark One said:
Definitely digging the hell out of this. There is a certain majesty to their sound, it's so lush and harmonious - in certain frames of mind this music is simply par excellence.

For certain, there is something quite "theatrical" about this release. It's almost as if it was written to be played in a live setting, in some 70's influenced stage production. I imagine they had more budget for the production. Quite a contrast to "The Bastard" which is so riff-centric, it works better 'up close & personal' and of course recorded on dual analog 8-tracks.

I won't always be in the mood for their style, but when I am, it is immensely satisfying. Perfect for a quiet Sunday morning recuperating from a solo outing to Universal Studios. :kickass:

Shit man, I didn't know you lived that close to the amusement parks!! Universal rules! (And I haven't been since '93).

And seriously, if the lyrics contained "toilet humor level" passages, I'd find them much more offensive than something written from the heart. For that I respect and admire them.

Yeah, I couldn't give a rat's ass about satanism, NSBM, or vikings & dragons, but you know, as long as it's genuine. Try telling Dio that dragon's don't exist. :loco:

JK, can't thank you enough for the recommendation of these guys.

:kickass:

JayKeeley said:
That said, of course you have to like something about it in the first place, or suspect there is potential, in order for you (anyone) to stick with it. For example, "The August Engine" really does get better with each listen but that album transcends mortality.
That's just it. With HoM, what I like, I like and what I don't like, I really don't like. It's not like Meshuggah. With Meshuggah, I just don't get it. However, I'm guessing if I was willing to sit through one of their CDs a dozen times, I'd love it. With HoM, I don't suspect that I'd like the songs I like any more, and I don't suspect the songs I dislike would appeal to me anymore. That said, I recognize the aspects of this band, that those like yourself, view as transcendent.

Zod

JayKeeley said:
Shit man, I didn't know you lived that close to the amusement parks!! Universal rules! (And I haven't been since '93).

Roughly 2 hour drive - I figured, hell, I HAD to do it. It did indeed rule - at least until a giant downpour left me soaking wet and sick from the air conditioned attractions, lol.

JayKeeley said:
Try telling Dio that dragon's don't exist. :loco:

Hmm.... wonder if I'd get the ol' horns to the eye. :loco:

General Zod said:
Care to elaborate?

Zod

Pure sarcastic joking around (like so many of our posts regarding Bathory) - all I meant was I can't possibly imagine Meshuggah being any better after 1,000 listens than after 1 listen. I, of course, am completely basing that on the simple fact that I can't stand them. :)