Finding new band members.....*sigh*

bryan_kilco

Nov 22, 2007
Poconos, PA
Been going in a never ending cycle of partial line up - full lineup - working on recording - lose a member - find member - lose another member - work on recording - find member, etc.

We've been hunting for a vocalist for about 9 months now and a bassist for about 2 months. We can't seem to find anyone who we are all happy with, vocal wise. We have our first bass audition tonight. We posted in our ads, "Previous experience needed in playing/recording/gigging", and yet we have gotten a few guys who have zero experience and just "want to be a frontman".

It's getting very aggravating and just seems we can never catch a break.

The one guy who seems extremely dedicated; I really don't dig his style much at all, but the other 2 members of the band do. Basically, I'd probably leave the band if a vocalist was chosen that I hated (style-wise). I'm here for the metal band, not pussy shit.

We're all 29-30 years old and aren't getting any younger. We've been doing this for about half our lives now. I feel obsolete and hopeless.

What do you guys do to keep your heads up and hopes high in these situations?

/rant

I was in a situation like that in 2004 and I chose to become a frontman myself and ditch other musicians to do electronic music. Everything got much better.

Obviously you want to continue playing in a band, but if you can't find a missing link player then the only way is to become that player yourself. It's quite liberating, actually.

what they said. I also had a dozen bands (covers, originals) myself and there was always something that went wrong, conflicts between members, shitty musical directions, retarded attitudes, lack of motivation e.t.c

Now I am 31 and I decided to do something for what I love that is music. I am doing all by myself, composing, recording, mixing e.t.c It´s not easy to do all the shit but you know what they say, if you want something done, do it yourself. If you believe in your stuff and if you know that you have quality work, eventually you will find someone, no matter the style. It´s what I think.

It's like finding the perfect woman x4 or 5, t'aint gonna happen unless some miracle makes it happen. Do as much as you can before finding anyone else. My whole deal is that I have four different projects I've worked on in the last three years, and when I showed one of them (progressive melodeath) to another guitar player whom I didn't know, all he said was that he wanted to play music like Animals As Leaders instead.
picard-facepalm.jpg

And shit like that is the story of my life, especially with drummers.

Luckily my best friend is also a good guitar player and has played in pretty much every band I've been in, he's just way too busy with a job that's on a diff schedule than mine is, so we're hard pressed to practice as of yet.

It's the bane of my band's existence. We've never had good luck with drummers. The first guy quit because we weren't Christian, the second guy wanted to be Black Album-era Metallica, and the third guy was the only one who managed to be any good, but quite right as we decided to start recording. We've been looking for nearly a year, but we simply can't find any drummers that'll work. I mean, it's like knowing how to do double bass is only for the gods or something.

Honestly, the best thing to do in these situations is just prepare for the worst, hope for the best. Good luck, I hope everything works out! Chin-up!!

just keep swinging mate, just dont stop keep writing and recording and moving forward even if you dont have memebers, see if you can get people to fill in for an album or a gig etc, I know it sucks cause I'm in the same boat - finding a drummer is almost impossible, so we just keep recording and releasing until someone comes along....and if they dont, we've kept busy, released some decent material and got better at what we do....

Thanks for the support homies!

To my surprise, we had a bassist come out last night. Our first bass tryout since the last guy left. Dude shows up, decent bass, decent rig (Genz Benz), knew the 3 songs we sent him/gave him tabs for ALL THE WAY THROUGH, note for note.....Needless to say - I was decently impressed. Every time we are searching for members, old friends/band members/etc come out of the woodwork and "Oh, I wanna try, I wanna try!!!" and we have to tell them "No, there's a reason you didn't work out in the last band, etc". It gets frustrating.

I still want to start my own project, as I've learned over the years, I'm really picky about the type of material I like to play and picky about the guitars being tight together in a live situation, where our other guy tends to have a light and limp picking hand/wrist. It takes a while, but I think I may just start writing my own material as a side project for that self-gratification. :Spin: