fine-tune pointers for new hayworth, HALP.

darthjujuu

Nov 17, 2008
Boston
www.myspace.com
http://www.atomicballroomcalamity.com/halp.mp3

need super specific fine-tuning pointers here. i've posted this band before, hayworth, this is their newer stuff i'm doing. their sound is supposed to be spastic, sporadic, and raw. therefore there's no drum editing at all and the only replacement is a sample blended in with the natural kick for some beater attack. there's alot of lowpassed room mic blended in, i'm still not sure how i feel about it. the loud cymbals are almost entirely the overheads, i don't know if they're too loud or if i like it. the guitars are hipassed but not lopassed...the one thing i find myself wanting more from this mix is brightness. so i left the guitars open. the guitar is quadtracked JCM900 + TS, both sides hard panned, 57 slightly off axis near the cone. the 2bus is, at the moment, SSL bus compressor > L2 > ozone. i was fiddling with gclip in there but couldn't quite be satisfied with it.

I listened to the old stuff.. this is definetly an improvement. i think you're right about the cymbals, i would bring them down a hair. the kick sounds great, you just need to bring it up a couple dbs. the snare has a great release time; however, a lot of it is the overtones and they become very distracting. the snare's characteristic sounds muddy, i'd find a good hi-mid freq to boost that fits the mix to give it a little more presence. and turn it down a bit. no more compression on it though, the crack is phenomanal. as for the guitars, they sit perfect. these guys have an old norma jean "bless the martyr..." feel. and you nailed the guitars for sure man.

no
fucking
way

do not change a GODDAMN THING OR I WILL HURT YOU
also, no vocals? :(

currently tracking vox. gareth: YOU SURE? it doesn't seem lacking in brightness to you o_0? i'm gonna trust you here! or maybe hope the screechy vox fill in the presence zone, we'll see

Nah doesn't seem to be lacking brightness to me at all. It's a much smoother mix than the last time you worked with them, but it's just a different sound, which is far from a bad thing.
Sounds perfect to me man, do not change a motherfucking THING