Fingering question in KTS

Sep 8, 2002
France
Visit site
The tab for KTS on mysongbook is quite well done, but in the live in Seoul Alexi plays the first solo-riff from a different way, here's the way it is tabbed :

E||--------------------------------------|--------------------17-15-14----------|
B||----------14-15-17--15-14-15-14-------|----------14-15-17-----------17-15-14-|
G||--16----------------------------16-14-|--16----------------------------------|
D||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
A||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
E||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
......................................^. v. ^. v.... ^ "reverse picking" on this 16
--------14----17-15-14----------------15-14-------|--------------14-15-14----14----------------------||
--15-17----15----------17-14-15-17-14-------17-15-|-----14-15-17----------17----17-15-14-15-14-------||
--------------------------------------------------|--16----------------------------------------16-14-||
--------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------||
--------------------------------------------------|--------------------------------------------------||

And here's the way he plays it live (well maybe not exactly but something like that)

E||----------------12--------------------|----------------12--17-15-14----------|
B||-/12------14-15-----15-14-15-14-12-10-|-/12------14-15--------------17-15-14-|
G||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
D||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
A||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|
E||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|

--------14----17-15-14----------------15-14-12----|-----------12-14-15-14-12-14-12-------------------||
--15-17----15----------17-14-15-17-14----------15-|--12-14-15----------------------15-14-15-14-12-10-||

He slides a bit for each pointed 12, but that's not why I create this thread. Playing it this way requires to move your hand, but makes that you only pick 2 strings (instead of 3), and such there's absolutely no string skipping or "reverse" picking (I don't know if there's a name, but I'm talking about when you've got jump over the string you're gonna pick, then pick it and go back from where you come).

So I wonder, does he plays it this way cuz' he's got to sing along and so makes it "easier" by picking only 2 strings ?
Or is that "reverse picking" really boring and "mistake providing" at high speed so that he prefers playing only on 2 strings ? (though I don't it should be that hard for him to skip a string, just that I play (well not that much) but for 2 years now, and this 16 still gives me problem even at the slow tempo I'm playing (110-120 :p)

for-will-drive-devil said:
The tab for KTS on mysongbook is quite well done, but in the live in Seoul Alexi plays the first solo-riff from a different way, here's the way it is tabbed :

E||--------------------------------------|--------------------17-15-14----------|
B||----------14-15-17--15-14-15-14-------|----------14-15-17-----------17-15-14-|
G||--16----------------------------16-14-|--16----------------------------------|
......................................^. v. ^. v.... ^ "reverse picking" on this 16
--------14----17-15-14----------------15-14-------|--------------14-15-14----14----------------------||
--15-17----15----------17-14-15-17-14-------17-15-|-----14-15-17----------17----17-15-14-15-14-------||
--------------------------------------------------|--16----------------------------------------16-14-||

And here's the way he plays it live (well maybe not exactly but something like that)

E||----------------12--------------------|----------------12--17-15-14----------|
B||-/12------14-15-----15-14-15-14-12-10-|-/12------14-15--------------17-15-14-|
G||--------------------------------------|--------------------------------------|

--------14----17-15-14----------------15-14-12----|-----------12-14-15-14-12-14-12-------------------||
--15-17----15----------17-14-15-17-14----------15-|--12-14-15----------------------15-14-15-14-12-10-||

He slides a bit for each pointed 12, but that's not why I create this thread. Playing it this way requires to move your hand, but makes that you only pick 2 strings (instead of 3), and such there's absolutely no string skipping or "reverse" picking (I don't know if there's a name, but I'm talking about when you've got jump over the string you're gonna pick, then pick it and go back from where you come).

So I wonder, does he plays it this way cuz' he's got to sing along and so makes it "easier" by picking only 2 strings ?
Or is that "reverse picking" really boring and "mistake providing" at high speed so that he prefers playing only on 2 strings ? (though I don't it should be that hard for him to skip a string, just that I play (well not that much) but for 2 years now, and this 16 still gives me problem even at the slow tempo I'm playing (110-120 :p)

I play it a totally different way from both of those but its still the same notes.
It doesn't really matter as long as its the same notes.

i play it much the same way as posted here.. i think that is the correct thing from what i've seen from videos. Even though it's the same notes, the sound will be all different when playing on another string...

but who cares anyway... playing guitar is all bout fun :D

Alexi plays it differently than that... He starts on the 12th fret of the B string.

E||----------------12--------------------|
B||--12----14-15-----15-14-15-14-12-10-|
G||--------------------------------------|
D||--------------------------------------|
A||--------------------------------------|
E||--------------------------------------|

-------------------17-15-14----------|
--12-----14-15-17----------17-15-14-|
--------------------------------------|

--------14----17-15-14---------------15-14-------|
-15-17----15----------17-14-15-17-14------17-15-|
--------------------------------------------------|

----------12-14-15-14-12-14-12-------------------||
-12-14-15----------------------15-14-15-14-12-10-||
--------------------------------------------------||

Gkelter >>> I wrote both way to play it^^ (even if it wasn't exactly the same)

Well, so I guess it's just me who can't play clean as soon as the tempo is at 110 or more :(
It's kinda weird, I play for 2 years now, though I don't play 5 hours a day (more something like 1 hour a day, and sometimes I don't play for several days), but it's still a mistery for me how to play fast.
For a moment I increased the speed quite quickly, from 80 to 100, 110, but now I'm stuck at 110, and really wonder how to reach 144 for kts, and even more like 190...
Is it all about reflexs (and practice of course) ?

dude, I play that part of KTS the msb tab way, using 3 strings. I also noticed how alexi plays it differently on the vid, im not sure why but i guess he must just find it easier althoug hi would have thought that way is hard as you have to move your hand...

--Joe

Héhé yeah, I thought of that too, but it's not the first time I create a thread about (guitar-related) fingering, so I keep naming it this way, and well even if it may sound funny, it's the accurate word right ? ;)

rock ten >>> Yup' that what I thought too. And moving your pointing finger to play that 10, then slide back on the 12 may create a weak sound. And moreover moreover he also sings while doing this... So... ? I guess he knows what he does^^
Well, I'll keep practicing^^